Notices
ECU Flash

A great tune with EcuFlash (by EIP Racing)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why were base numbers so bad, the 91?

edited:

the above map could not of been used for the topic car here on this thread, right?

Last edited by C6C6CH3vo; Aug 17, 2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:38 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Why were base numbers so bad, the 91?

edited:

the above map could not of been used for the topic car here on this thread, right?
According to NorCal, that is the timing map from that car.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
^ a TBE won't allow you to safely boost more. running 23psi and using a stock exhaust have nothing to do with eachother
Guess it's my duty to let readers know thats wrong info.

The stock exhaust increases knock and will be more significant as power (movement of air in and the evac of gasses out) increases

Why? The cat itself will free up 2 psi of potential boost making energy, the muffler is a dual chamber type with a spring loaded flapper valve the exhaust gas pushes on to open.

Maybe totally stock on 93oct might you be able to keep running in high octane maps with it

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
According to NorCal, that is the timing map from that car.
Makes ecu freak and unlocks some hidden Mitsu engineered "super race map mode" code.

Just some good natured humour everyone - ha ha.

What, dont you think thats funny?

Last edited by C6C6CH3vo; Aug 17, 2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Why are some tuners obsessed with the number 8?
Old Aug 17, 2006, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That timing map is ****ing terrible, I've been at this for all of two weeks and it's even blatantly clear to me just how ****ing bad it is.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

can someone else post what a good timing and fuel mape look like for a low mod ix.

I have not had anything in my car but 93-94 to date.

(this is why i am watching so much to see what people are running on the EVO's cause the hondas are much different)
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Lovely map isn't it? I linked to it earlier in this thread but I guess nobody saw it then.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Lovely map isn't it? I linked to it earlier in this thread but I guess nobody saw it then.
I think we need to create the "number 8 tuner club."
Old Aug 18, 2006, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe all these Sesame Street tuners are brought to us by the number 8.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

WOT, the ECU will scan from both left to right/top to bottom and will transition at its own rate anyhow, could inputs such as that on (above) just be setting targets and allowing ECU to reach it at it's own rate? Or is this just wishful thinking for pasting timing values 50 blocks at a time.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

I still want someone to post a good example of fuel and timing

We have seen the bad example now lets see a good one.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JrCRXHF
I still want someone to post a good example of fuel and timing

We have seen the bad example now lets see a good one.
There are no real good or bad examples.. You have to understand that there are a few ways to tune a car... Some techniques were used because of the lack of data at the time they were done, so they had to be worked within the parameters that were available at the time.

Blocks of same timing aren't always bad, and a smooth flowing map isn't always good..

Driving style, mods, intended purpose, etc.. all have a huge impact on what a tune looks like..

The more thorough a tune (hours or days) will be smoother in general than a dyno-day dyno tune, which in turn would look different than a mail-in flash..

What you should be asking is

"Given the current mods: <listed mods> what are the optimum timing and fuel values for the given range, and loads I will be using.."

You will very clearly see that at WOT people can easily rattle off a list of timing and AFR numbers.. But what if boost is raised or lowered.. The timing may not always remain the same, and fueling might be altered.. Also, part throttle load in open loop.. Well, you may still hit similar boost levels, but your AFR's would be altered and you'd have to adjust for that.

It takes time and tools to do it.. But it is actually fairly easy..

More complex settings also can affect the tune, and therefore it varies car to car..
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:40 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
It takes time and tools to do it.. But it is actually fairly easy..

More complex settings also can affect the tune, and therefore it varies car to car..
And fairly difficult when not using the proper tools for the job. You are left with a half-assed rigged tune and the hope that someone won't pull it and post it online, fully uncovering a tuner's lack of knowledge and ability.

I know you are not insinuating Jack that this could possibly be a good tune are you? I would hate to have to go against you.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
"Given the current mods: <listed mods> what are the optimum timing and fuel values for the given range, and loads I will be using.."

Well I have a Cat back Junb.l is all. I guess when i tune my Honda I have more experience and I feel more comfortable before I go nuts on the EVO ECU I wanted to see a few sets of safe maps and try them out and see what I like and don't like for drivability. I guess what I am saying is that I don't have any experience tuning the EVO yet I have done FSAE racecars but that is a restricted motor. I have done my DSM but all I have there is a ram chargers box and I have done my Honda on both E-85 and pump gas this was done with Hondata.

So I am just trying to get up to speed on this car. (and learn from the experts)

Last edited by JrCRXHF; Aug 18, 2006 at 08:13 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
I know you are not insinuating Jack that this could possibly be a good tune are you? I would hate to have to go against you.
what do you think your the EVOM mafia now?

I don't believe he said it was good or bad. just that a 'good tune' on the dyno will look different then a 'good tune' on the street which will look different then a 'good tune' at the track. I hope you understand this concept because I would hate to have to go against you.

Quick Reply: A great tune with EcuFlash (by EIP Racing)