Notices
ECU Flash

Locked out of my ECU

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kapolani
I'm working on my own app that should be able to make the values readable.

Afterall, it's just hex.

The information is in front of us.

If and when I finish it I'll release the program that will allow others to be able to read their rom.
Do you mean you a writing an app that will automaticaly read the hex then output an xml so we can edit it in ECUflash? That would be cool.

It's not that hard to get the xml out for your own HEX, you just need look for a big map, say the high octain fuel. If you compear it to a known map it becomes not to bad a job.

MB
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got it thanks guys!
Old Jan 8, 2007, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by burgers22
Do you mean you a writing an app that will automaticaly read the hex then output an xml so we can edit it in ECUflash? That would be cool.

It's not that hard to get the xml out for your own HEX, you just need look for a big map, say the high octain fuel. If you compear it to a known map it becomes not to bad a job.

MB
Didn't have to write an app.

It was pretty easy to unscramble the map once I started looking at the hex.

As long as you know what you're looking for it's a simple matter unscrambling it.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 07:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Kapolani has a point, most of the maps have "markers" that indicate whether their 2d or 3d maps, and they almost always occured in the same order. So as long as the order doesnt change, you can easily translate it.

There are two types of methods for making maps difficult to read, the first is the basic Lock which the Unlocker allows you to read. There is also an Obfuscation that some tuners are starting to use, which I can undestand why they feel its necessary to protect their work, it also makes it difficult for the rightful owner to manipulate, and that is what I have a strong disagreement with.

Basically, most maps have their rom version embedded into their data. Some tuners have decided to alter the value so there is no matching Definition for it, or worse, an improper match which can lead to even bigger problems if their altered. Its easy to find and fix, but you have to know where your looking. The rom series is located in several locations, and the version number (the last one or two bytes) is all they usually change to obfuscate it.

I actually was in the process of writing a tool that found all the maps, unfortunately I have had some personal issues that have prevented me from doing much with it, and then I started working on unilogger. Anyway, the problem I found was there are 1d values, that do not have any unique identifiers, partially because many of the values are embedded within actual rom code, and if you alter it improperly, it will actually break the rom. Those are more difficult to isolate.

The good news is most of the bytes around the data is pretty static if its imbedded in rom code, and I have been trying to use that to isolate those values. However I haven't gotten far enough to produce anything worth releasing.

I actually have gotten quite a few "Scrambled maps" from tuners who have asked for assistance, and have deciphered every one of them, so its pretty easy to do if you want to take the time. Unfortunately don't send them to me, I won't have the time to get to them in a reasonable amount of time, but if your tuner has one thats especially difficult, have them contact me.

Even when I begin doing some dyno tuning for hire, I will never lock or obfuscate a rom, nor will I discourage someone from examining the maps and asking questions or discussing them online.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Jan 8, 2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by EFIxMR
I descrambled the rom for evocharger. We are offering this service for $50. If i can't unscramble the rom we refund your money.
I'm sorry dude, but this is a crock of ****... You pay Dynoflash to tune your car, he hacks up your ECU with obfuscation and then we are supposed to pay another vendor to unobfuscate it for a fee? Total horsesh!t.

TTP-Engineering had my ECU unlocked for free and hence earned my reflash business for his help. I did not give my business to them as a condition of un-fubarring my ECU so they would have done it regardless at no charge. It was the least I could do for their help. for people like them and MalibuJack for not trying to make $$$ off of members that have been screwed by obfuscation attempts.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kapolani
Didn't have to write an app.

It was pretty easy to unscramble the map once I started looking at the hex.

As long as you know what you're looking for it's a simple matter unscrambling it.
Well, that was what I thought, but in the post I quoted you said you were writing an app. Like you once I got going it was pretty easy to see the paterns and spot the maps.

MB
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:24 PM
Account Disabled

Any of my customers who has a locked ecu or an obfiscated ecu or any other problem with it does not have to pay anyone $50 to do anything with it

I am here to provide customer service to paying customers and anyone who contacts me will be given tech support and assistance.

I lock all ecus I flash to prevent mitsubshi dealers from flashing update flashes on my customers cars in for oil changes and other service calls. After several years I grew tired of continually re-installing customers previous maps every week. With Malabu Jack's fabuolus unlocker anyone with a tactrix cable can open any evo ecu.

Anyone who is my customer - please let me know if you have any issues - problems or questions - its all free tech support for you.

Those who are not my customers - anyone who has a rom loaded in their ecu that is giving them trouble can easily copy the imobilizer code onto a stock rom - which I will provide free of charge to anyone who requests one and that should get you going in your self tuning journeys.

I do not follow these forums regularly so please if you wish to contact me use PM or email as I will prob not read any response here.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 05:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Locking the ECU for a car that is still under warranty makes perfect sense, as I've seen quite a few cars go in and get Rom updates as part of their regular service. I also had one guy tell me that when Mitsubishi COULDN'T update the ECU, that they though there was something wrong and replaced it, so you need to have a very good line of communication with your dealer if your still using them for service so your absolutely sure they don't attempt to do it without your knowledge.

FWIW, Dynoflash DOES NOT obfuscate roms, occasionally a user will have a rom that he does not have a definition for, and thats easily fixed by using the updated definition pack that is being maintained by a member on OpenECU's forums.

I am aware of one tuner who does obfuscate their maps. I am very very sympathetic to his reasons, but I disagree that this method is going to prevent maps from being distributed (which is the concern) I suggested to him, as I suggest to any Tuner, to embed the car's VIN or some unique identifying data within the rom's unused areas, so if you do find a map out in the wild that looks like one of your own, you can identify it. If the tuners are interested enough, I can put together a tool that can do a checksum and embed information into the roms so they can be identified easier, and then later read it back. This should discourage most unauthorized distribution, while still allowing users, tuners, etc, to work and review roms without the need for obfuscation.
Old May 29, 2010, 04:14 AM

i have the same problem. i have a customer that has an evo 7 and i can download the rom from the ecu. but its i can edit anything. i downloaded the ecu unlocker from aktive matrix and its still not working. what else can be used. i am using windows vista and i also down loaded .net 1.1 as recommended by aktive matrix.

and still no luck.

any help will be greatly appreciated
Old May 29, 2010, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

By any chance, is it an EDM Evo? I had a friend with an Evo 8 that came from France and I could open the rom but couldn't do anything on it.
Old May 29, 2010, 07:03 AM

its either edm or jdm. middle east
Old May 30, 2010, 03:25 AM

all of them are edm here in the middle i have been told. any help would be appreciated
Old May 31, 2010, 01:43 AM

this is the rom i am needing to unlock.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
evo7locked.zip (96.8 KB, 0 views)
Old May 31, 2010, 01:54 AM
Evolved Member

Try to see with Mellon he's been very helpful with my problem. He sent me another Rom and it worked with the car.
Old May 31, 2010, 07:45 AM

thanks

Quick Reply: Locked out of my ECU