Notices
ECU Flash

tools for disassembly of a ROM?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2006, 07:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
tools for disassembly of a ROM?

I've never done hex before, but am interested in assisting with the disassembly of Evo ROMs. Are there any free tools out there that are used for disassembly of a ROM?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 03:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Bump.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What exactly do you want to find in the ROM?

d
Old Oct 2, 2006, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Launch Control.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by donour
What exactly do you want to find in the ROM?

d
Nothing specific that I'm looking to find in the ROM. I just want to assist with documenting all the functions of the Evo IX ROM.

Also, I've got a fair amount of experience with high level programming, but I've never tinkered with this kind of programming/coding/electronics. I'd like to use the ROM disassembly as a way to learn more about this low level stuff.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with Fred, I've never opperated on a human "per se", but I've cut up more than a few frogs in my day. I'm really anxious to help out the Doctors in my local O.R.

I just wish they'd return my calls....
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Stockie are you sure you called my number? I have no record of any calls. I'll resend it in case I messed it up.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 08:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by I'mStock
I'm with Fred, I've never opperated on a human "per se", but I've cut up more than a few frogs in my day. I'm really anxious to help out the Doctors in my local O.R.

I just wish they'd return my calls....
I'm amazed at how many haters there are on this network. Who are you to judge my ability? I've learned plenty of programming languages. They all have same elements. Its just a matter of learning the syntax and context of the language.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I'm a Doctor and I disassemble ROMs

There is a free SH2 disassembler I have linked to on the aktivematrix threads - SH2D, and a Lauterbach simulator I linked to previously on here.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
I'm amazed at how many haters there are on this network. Who are you to judge my ability? I've learned plenty of programming languages. They all have same elements. Its just a matter of learning the syntax and context of the language.
Who are you to assume I don't opperate on frogs with the hopes of making to the human field of surgery one day?

I just shake them haters off.

Last edited by I'mStock; Oct 3, 2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

mrfred,

I think the end user code is programmed in Visual Basic ( not sure )
Also I think the platform is on .NET.

Not sure how they interface the MUT protocall to the GUI interface.

Would the ROM itself be programmed in an assembly language ?

Malibu Jack is one of the EvoM Guru's on here that knows alot about
the questions you are asking.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The ROM itself is compiled, probably from C.

The chip is SH2, and we are working on disassembly, so yes it is assembly language.

Jack is coding stuff on the PC side using .net/VB AFAIK. I leave that to him, and he seems to leave the ROM stuff to Bez and a little bit to me, but Bez has moved it on in leaps and bounds recently. Exciting stuff.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jcsbanks

The chip is SH2, and we are working on disassembly, so yes it is assembly language.

Jack is coding stuff on the PC side using .net/VB AFAIK. I leave that to him, and he seems to leave the ROM stuff to Bez and a little bit to me, but Bez has moved it on in leaps and bounds recently. Exciting stuff.
It's amazing what you guys are doing.

What language is the MUT protocall natively utilized in ?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The MUT protocol is used by the Mitsubishi diagnostic tool.. Its a different communication protocol than OBD-II for instance. MUT is used worldwide on most mitsubishi ECU's.

The protocol itself is really simple, the communication method is what was more complicated. But until Evo4Mad got his hands on a MUT tool, the initialization and protocol was basically unknown until he documented it.

There's quite a few different MUT communications, the one we are focusing on at the moment is the higher speed equivalent to OBD-II.

Because there is already some pretty interesting modifications to the Rom to extend the resolution and enhance the logging speed from the ECU, I took a step back from the ECU Disassembly and am focusing on keeping my own logging tool up to date, but specifically in sync with findings in the Rom itself, since these enhancements need a tool to support them.

Even scan tools may have trouble when you start fouling with the roms, so my tools need to work at both standard speeds and higher modified speeds (Among other things) which my tool is specifically designed to support.

As I learn more about the MUT tool, and how it communicates, and what items can be read and modified, I'll either build new tools to do things like reprogram the Immobilizer module, and whatnot.

I am also giving Colby feedback as I get it on some of these new mods specifically so things like patching can be supported in ECUFlash

My logger only works with the Tactrix Openport 1.3 Mitsubishi cable, it probably would work with any other basic OBD-II cable that uses the FTDI RS232/USB chip. And I could add support for any Serially connected "dumb" cable (not an Elm based logger) but I havent because nobody has sent me one to work with.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jcsbanks

Don't forget Donour, he's also an Admin on Aktivematrix and has been building some GPL code specifically for MAC OSX, but will work with Linux and even windows with enough convincing (even easier in windows now that colby released new drivers) I will also be participating in that development once I get the full release of my logger out there (out of beta) since v2 will be a full rewrite..

Quick Reply: tools for disassembly of a ROM?