ECU Flash

How does "Fuel Trim" work in the ECU?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOtagger
great info in here
agreed, there is some great info in this thread. I now have enough information to correctly setup my injectors. Thanks everyone who gave their input... wait, this wasn't even my thread, lol.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Eric, I let the car idle for a while, like 10-20 minutes and logged the ST & LTFT's. The STFT were bouncing around 0, but the actual A/F on my WB was in the 12s during that time. For some reason now the LTFT @ idle is 5% instead of -9-11% like I mentioned above.

since the LTFT is now adding 5% of fuel should I scale my injectors around 5% bigger?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Could someone tell me what the "1c" method of load calc is? I tried a search and couldnt seem to find it

Last edited by evovette; Oct 4, 2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
Eric, I let the car idle for a while, like 10-20 minutes and logged the ST & LTFT's. The STFT were bouncing around 0, but the actual A/F on my WB was in the 12s during that time. For some reason now the LTFT @ idle is 5% instead of -9-11% like I mentioned above.
The LTFT now at +5% makes sense, since you said before your STFT was +17 and your LTFT was around -10. That comes out to about +7%, so the 5% sounds about right to me. Remember the STFT just gets pushed into the LTFT over time so that the STFT can bounce around 0.

But, what seems very weird is that you said your wideband is reading in the 12s. Something is wrong. Either the wideband reading is wrong, the wideband sensor is messed up or your front O2 sensor is messed up, or something else I can't think of at the moment. You're not simulating your narrowband O2 with your wideband, are you? Also, you don't have a breather filter on your breather hose, do you? Is it still connected to the intake?

We have to figure out what's going on with this first before I can give the right advice. Your ECU thinks the mixture is at stoich, which is 14.7:1, and uses your trims to maintain that. So, I'm confused as to why your wideband is giving a reading of 12.x. So, at idle your wideband isn't bouncing around 14.7?

since the LTFT is now adding 5% of fuel should I scale my injectors around 5% bigger?
Well, let's wait on this for now, but it would actually be opposite of what you said. Scaling your injectors bigger makes the ECU use a shorter time for the IPW, which decreases your fuel. Scaling your injectors smaller will make the ECU hold them open longer (larger IPW) which will add fuel.

If your LTFTs at idle and cruise do turn out to be drastically different, then we may have to use the injector latencies to fix that. What we really want are the LTFTs at idle and cruise to be around the same positive or negative number. Then the scaling will fix both of them.

Another question for you:

Is your battey voltage at idle a lot different than at cruise? Did you log that by any chance? If so, let's take a look at that and also at your latencies.

We may be able to use the latencies to fix up the idle and use your cruise LTFT as the target for scaling the injectors.

Eric
Old Oct 4, 2006, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
You're not simulating your narrowband O2 with your wideband, are you? Also, you don't have a breather filter on your breather hose, do you? Is it still connected to the intake?
I'm not simulating the narrowband w/ the WB. And I don't have the breather hose connected to the intake tube, its just hanging there. I'm talking about the breather hose thats located in the front of the engine and connects to the stock intake boot.

We have to figure out what's going on with this first before I can give the right advice. Your ECU thinks the mixture is at stoich, which is 14.7:1, and uses your trims to maintain that. So, I'm confused as to why your wideband is giving a reading of 12.x. So, at idle your wideband isn't bouncing around 14.7?
the 12.x:1 reading was weird because it doesn't happen often. Normally when the A/F is bouncing around it will settle @ 14.7 eventually, I don't know what it was reading so rich this time.

Another question for you:

Is your battey voltage at idle a lot different than at cruise? Did you log that by any chance? If so, let's take a look at that and also at your latencies.

We may be able to use the latencies to fix up the idle and use your cruise LTFT as the target for scaling the injectors.

Eric
according to EVOScan my battery voltage is between 13.8 & 14.2 volts all the time, with an occasional drop to 13.6 in the higher RPM and spike to 14.3ish in the middle of the RPM band.

I really don't believe that I have an exhaust leak and the front o2 sensor was just replaced <5k ago, plus I never ran leaded gas so it should be 100%. What other info can I give you?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which wideband are you using? where is it located?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

I don't have the breather hose connected to the intake tube, its just hanging there. I'm talking about the breather hose thats located in the front of the engine and connects to the stock intake boot.
Well, this can definitely mess up the trims a lot. A breather hose not connected to the intake pipe (MAF pipe) is letting in unmetered air. This may be why you were experiencing so many problems in the first place. That hose is normally connected to the intake pipe after the MAF, so the air is metered (counted). With the hose just hanging there, when there is vacuum in the intake manifold (like idle and cruise), the PCV valve is open. The air comes in through the breather hose, through the valve cover/crankcase, and out the PCV valve, into the intake manifold and then into the cylinders. The MAF never gets a chance to count this air, so you will be running leaner than the ECU expected, so your trims will be much more positive than on a stock setup to counteract the unmetered air.

the 12.x:1 reading was weird because it doesn't happen often. Normally when the A/F is bouncing around it will settle @ 14.7 eventually, I don't know what it was reading so rich this time.
Well, if the 12.x:1 was only for a brief period of time and the reading started to bounce around stocih (14.7:1) again, then I think we can discount that for now.

This is what I would do if you really want to try to solve all of your problems with your trims and dialing in your injectors:

1. Connect your breather hose back to your intake pipe after the MAF. If you have a hard pipe that doesn't have this, you can easily tap it and buy a hose nipple at any hardware store. Over the years on the DSMLink board, the unconnected breather hose was problably the #1 biggest problem/headache when it came to messed up fuel trims and dialing in injectors/dead times.

2. Re-do what you already did with idling/cruising to see where your trims are at then. My guess will be that they will be much more negative than they are now. When we get those numbers, my guess would be that you will have to scale your injectors larger by a certain percentage to bring the trims down, follwed by that same percentage increase in your open-loop maps.

What size injectors do you have and what are they scaled to? Are they currently scaled much smaller than they actually are?

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Oct 4, 2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Well, this can definitely mess up the trims a lot. A breather hose not connected to the intake pipe (MAF pipe) is letting in unmetered air. This may be why you were experiencing so many problems in the first place. That hose is normally connected to the intake pipe after the MAF, so the air is metered (counted). With the hose just hanging there, when there is vacuum in the intake manifold (like idle and cruise), the PCV valve is open. The air comes in through the breather hose, through the valve cover/crankcase, and out the PCV valve, into the intake manifold and then into the cylinders. The MAF never gets a chance to count this air, so you will be running leaner than the ECU expected, so your trims will be much more positive than on a stock setup to counteract the unmetered air.
This is what I would do if you really want to try to solve all of your problems with your trims and dialing in your injectors:

1. Connect your breather hose back to your intake pipe after the MAF. If you have a hard pipe that doesn't have this, you can easily tap it and buy a hose nipple at any hardware store. Over the years on the DSMLink board, the unconnected breather hose was problably the #1 biggest problem/headache when it came to messed up fuel trims and dialing in injectors/dead times.

2. Re-do what you already did with idling/cruising to see where your trims are at then. My guess will be that they will be much more negative than they are now. When we get those numbers, my guess would be that you will have to scale your injectors larger by a certain percentage to bring the trims down, follwed by that same percentage increase in your open-loop maps.
I just capped off the nipple on the MAF pipe and didn't even realize that air going into the valve cover from that hose wasn't being metered, I guess it makes sense though since it was after the MAF. I'll reinstall that hose ASAP... I am still using the stock MAF pipe on my 35r, lol. The reason why it was unhooked the hose in the first place was because I was worried about oil buildup on the turbo. I guess its time for a catch can setup now.

What size injectors do you have and what are they scaled to? Are they currently scaled much smaller than they actually are?

Eric
I'm running RC1000cc injectors scaled to 750cc at the moment.

Thank you for all the time you've taken to help diagnose my problem, I really appreicate it.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nothere
which wideband are you using? where is it located?
Innovative LM-1 located just after the 'test-pipe' in the stock second o2 sensor location.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure I understand the explanation for how air is going in through the PCV breather hose. Can you elaborate? I mean, I always thought that the point of these was to hold a steady vacuum from the intake hookup, pulling a vacuum into the crankcase (to prevent the crankcase area from ever pressurizing and causing oil leaks).

The PCV valve itself is a check valve that prevents air from going IN to the crankcase, so how do you get unmetered air into the intake with the hose disconnected? Even if air somehow got into the crankcase through the PCV, how does it get into the cylinders? I mean, that's like saying that if you left your oil cap off your fuel mixture would get messed up.

I'm not criticizing here.. I just want to understand the logic. Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 2006, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rob W.
I'm not sure I understand the explanation for how air is going in through the PCV breather hose. Can you elaborate? I mean, I always thought that the point of these was to hold a steady vacuum from the intake hookup, pulling a vacuum into the crankcase (to prevent the crankcase area from ever pressurizing and causing oil leaks).

The PCV valve itself is a check valve that prevents air from going IN to the crankcase, so how do you get unmetered air into the intake with the hose disconnected? Even if air somehow got into the crankcase through the PCV, how does it get into the cylinders? I mean, that's like saying that if you left your oil cap off your fuel mixture would get messed up.

I'm not criticizing here.. I just want to understand the logic. Thanks!
Rob,

OK, you have two holes in your valve cover. One is occupied by your PCV valve by the intake manifold and the other is the occupied by a straight through nipple and breather hose connected to the intake pipe, after the MAF.

The way the PCV valve works is as follows:

At idle, there is vacuum in the IM. This opens the PCV valve and begins to pull in air from under the valve cover. This is to pull any blow-by gases from the crankcase into the IM to be burnt. The breather hose is there so the vacuum in the IM will pull in fresh clean air to combine with any blow-by gases. Basically, the path of the air is as follows. Air filter, though the maf, into the intake pipe, into the breather hose, into the valve cover, combines with any blow by gases, out through the PCV valve, into the intake manifold, into the cylinders.

The exact wording in the manual is this (perhaps it explains better than I can right now):

The positive crankcase ventilation system is a sys-
tem for preventing the escape of blow-by gases from
inside the crankcase into the atmosphere.
Fresh air is sent from the air cleaner into the crank-
case through the breather hose to be mixed with the
blow-by gas inside the crankcase.
The blow-by gas inside the crankcase is drawn into
the intake manifold through the positive crankcase
ventilation (PCV) valve.

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Oct 5, 2006 at 06:37 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Okay, now I get it. Thanks for the excellent explanation.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

ok I haven't responded to this thread in a while because I was out of town for a wedding.

I finally got a chance to re-route the PVC hose to the MAF pipe and go for a long cruise. My trims now are:

idle:
STFT: between 3 & -3
LTFT: 0 (yes thats right ZERO)

cruise
STFT: between 6 & -6
LTFT: -12

I got those numbers after a long 1-2hour drive on the highway.

I also think I narrowed down the strange rich-lean surge I was getting at idle, it was related to my coolant temps and the high speed fan kicking on. WHile I was ideling looking at the info from my logs I noticed my idle would surge at right around 190-192* and then once the temps dropped back down to 180 or so it would settle.

So I looked through my ECUFlash parimeters and noticed "Desired ISCV inital step position with AC off" setting. I increased the numbers in the two highest temp readings and it seemed to fix it.

So now that I have my LTFT's nailed down what would you suggest?
Old Oct 9, 2006, 07:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You may have to lower the injector voltage latency slightly and lower the injector size again to get your idle trims back to zero, once its balanced your cruise LTFT's should be closer to zero than -12.. Your actually right in the zone my car hovers now.. so your almost there.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

I noticed today that during cold starts my STFT is pegged @ -25%, but the LTFT is only @ -3. Anyone have more input?

Quick Reply: How does "Fuel Trim" work in the ECU?