Notices
ECU Flash

High/Low maps the same

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2006, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High/Low maps the same

Hello all. I received my cable in the mail yesterday and downloaded my "custom tune" so I could look at it. Why would my high and low octane maps be the same? How much lower should the low map be?

Also, all of my high/low map 1 & 2 ignition maps are the same...how different should they be?

I did use EvoScan this morning on the way in to work, so the data doesn't reflect 3rd gear pulls or anything - just driving the way I regularly do, and I see knock sums of 1-3 usually in the 3000-3500 rpm range with advance of 8-10, a few areas at approx. 3100 RPM knock sum of 1 with advace of 25, and a lot of areas in the 4000-4900 RPM range that have knock of 1-5 and advance of 5-8. The rest of the areas I generally see 0 knock with advance anywhere from 26-35.

I am on 93 pump and my boost peaks at about 21.5-22 on Stewart Warner gauge.

Do I have issues?

Thanks
-Denny

Last edited by dennyt4; Sep 28, 2006 at 07:10 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 08:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
My friend's Dynoflashed Evo has the same characteristics, including the knock sums.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
As mrfred said, this is the way Al tunes. What do you mean by regular driving? Are you going into boost at all? When I drive regularly, I shift at 3000 rpm and and do not hit boost nor do I see knock sum. It is alarming that you are seeing knock sum in regular driving.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same situation with my DynoFlash. There are most likely two reasons that Al flattens the maps (in my opinion).

It is quicker to tune that way. Some tuners flatten the maps when they tune to eliminate the possibility that the ecu will go inbetween the two maps. It also eliminates more variables when tuning. They then back off the low octane maps. Al does not.

Also I have noticed that one count of knock (in mine anyway) always reduces the timing advance (with flat maps). I have a feeling that he likes the fact that the ecu will reduce timing with each knock count for added safety. If the maps are different it can take say 3 or more counts of knock to back off the timing--less protective.

Last edited by chmodlf; Sep 29, 2006 at 04:57 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nj1266
As mrfred said, this is the way Al tunes. What do you mean by regular driving? Are you going into boost at all? When I drive regularly, I shift at 3000 rpm and and do not hit boost nor do I see knock sum. It is alarming that you are seeing knock sum in regular driving.
Every evo I've logged gets some amount of knock in regular driving.. Even when its bone stock.. If the counts are low there is nothing to be alarmed about, especially when its not under load..

Flattening the maps, well, even though I don't do that with my tunes, I don't think you'd have a problem with it unless you accidentally ran 87 octane..

Al has a reason for doing it the way he does.. Whether I agree with him or not is just my own opinion.. Just log the data over a few days under varying conditions and load.. See if the knock sums go over 3-5.. If they dont (there may be rare occasions that they do) then I wouldn't really worry too much.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Then what's the point of driving?

My daily route includes back roads, hills, and highway driving, so I hit boost in a lot of areas, but the not much on the highway. It's really a mix of driving. Plus I can't seem to keep my foot out of it , but I thought that was the point of a custom flash on this car.

Thanks guys.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chmodlf
Also I have noticed that one count of knock almost always reduces the timing advance (with flat maps). I have a feeling that he likes the fact that the ecu will reduce timing with each knock count for added safety. If the maps are different it takes (in most cases) 4 or more counts of knock to back off the timing--less protective.
On my car, I have seen a series of 1 ks pull timing and I have seen a series of 3 ks NOT pull timing. I have yet to figure out a pattern for the KS. Sometimes a series of 1, 2, or 3 KS pull timing and sometimes they do not.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dennyt4
Then what's the point of driving?

My daily route includes back roads, hills, and highway driving, so I hit boost in a lot of areas, but the not much on the highway. It's really a mix of driving. Plus I can't seem to keep my foot out of it , but I thought that was the point of a custom flash on this car.

Thanks guys.
That is why I asked. Regular driving is different to different people. My drive is all freeway and boring. So I drive the speed limit and rarely go into boost.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Every evo I've logged gets some amount of knock in regular driving.. Even when its bone stock.. If the counts are low there is nothing to be alarmed about, especially when its not under load..

Flattening the maps, well, even though I don't do that with my tunes, I don't think you'd have a problem with it unless you accidentally ran 87 octane..

Al has a reason for doing it the way he does.. Whether I agree with him or not is just my own opinion.. Just log the data over a few days under varying conditions and load.. See if the knock sums go over 3-5.. If they dont (there may be rare occasions that they do) then I wouldn't really worry too much.

Thank you - that makes me feel better. The 1's and 2's didn't concern me a lot, but that area that I hit of a bunch of 1's through 5's makes me nervous.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 01:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by chmodlf

Also I have noticed that one count of knock almost always reduces the timing advance (with flat maps). I have a feeling that he likes the fact that the ecu will reduce timing with each knock count for added safety. If the maps are different it takes (in most cases) 4 or more counts of knock to back off the timing--less protective.
I'm pretty sure that even with different high/low maps, the ECU will pull timing even with a knock sum of 1. The ECU's immediate response is to pull 1/3 deg of timing for each knock sum count. And if the knock goes away, it will put the timing back immediately. I've seen it with my ECU. jcsbanks has said that the high/low maps are for long term ign adv trim. With different high/low maps and crappy gas for instance, the ECU will eventually settle at a hybrid between the two maps with a knock sum of no greater than 5-6.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my car, I have seen a series of 1 ks pull timing and I have seen a series of 3 ks NOT pull timing. I have yet to figure out a pattern for the KS. Sometimes a series of 1, 2, or 3 KS pull timing and sometimes they do not.
I wasn't saying that different maps never pull timing from 1 knock count. I was saying with my flat maps it always pulls timing with one count of knock, two for two, etc. It seems that flat maps tend to negate the whole octane function in the code that in the end among other functions determines the timing number.

I was under the impression from others logs that the ecu does not always pull timing with only one count of knock.

I will admit that I have not done tons of logs though and could be wrong about these points...

Last edited by chmodlf; Sep 29, 2006 at 04:57 AM.