ECU Flash

Throttle hang and the Idle Stepper Table

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Sorry people for time lapse.

Here's the scoop, in my case at least. In order for me to push the boost holding of the DV to the max I rigged a contraption that basically vents the air underneath DV diaghram through an internal port I added.

The solenoid which basically closes the port between shifts is not openeing fast enough so there is about a 0.5 sec lag in time. The air is trapped on the charge assembly long enough to overcome the TB springs. Even though foot is off throttle the forward direction of air is felt at the MAF as if it was floored.

I have a spare intake manifold/TB assy with all the attached solenoids (garbage for some, my treasure ) laying around and I cannibalized one of the two TB springs and I managed to retrofit it to the two existing springs.

My original attemp on this fix was for troubleshooting purposes only and even though I'm totally satisfied with it as is, I'm going to have to eventually come up with a more technically sound and permanent fix to the spring tension, like a thicker guage spring. Nonetheless, the car is so much more fun to drive.

Just a caution: Keep in mind that adding a spring to that area can cause the throttle to stick wide open if it's intalled in such away that it may get stuck, and it's not really a fix as yet - just a diagnosis

Also keep in mind that throttle hang can be caused by other things other than what I was experiencing with my highly rigged and modestly modified stock turbo evo at 27 psi boost. The 2005 evo's were known to have a between shift rpm maintaining system built into it for some insane reason. So make sure it isnt that first
why don't we all just get the dejon tools leak stop kit and call it a day?
Old Apr 21, 2007, 04:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dexmix
what i don't understand is - if this is only supposed to bandaid lower rpms, how is this causing the hang at higher rpms, and then going back to engine braking around 3,000rpm.
Because the stepper motor parks at the value in the table, when your at higher RPM with residual pressure, more air forces its way through, and you can get RPM's to rise if there is alot of additional pressure due to your recirc valve that engine vacuum has to overcome.

Remember, this table is no different than others in the rom, if you exceed the value in the table, it probably uses the last value in the table.

Its obvious that the car can tell the difference between whether the car has the clutch-in or clutch-out (as the values for idle in "Neutral" and "Drive" do exist in the rom)

The throttle spring solution is only for excessive residual pressure that can blow the throttle blades open, but this is really only a solution for the problem when RPM Rises and not a throttle hang.

If modifying the table works, and it doesn't cause drivability problems in stop and go situations, then you have your solution.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 04:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There are 3 other tables often overlooked that can be relevent

Desired ISCV intial step position with AC off-Neutral
Desired ISCV intial step position with AC off-Drive
Desired ISCV intial step position with AC on-Neutral
Old Apr 21, 2007, 07:54 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Long ago I have stated that depressing the clutch pedal twice will drop the rpms.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 08:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Long ago I have stated that depressing the clutch pedal twice will drop the rpms.
Thats great and all, but if it can be eliminated, and i dont have to double clutch down shift that would be best.

I just got my car outta storage, so i am going to give the idle stepper table fix a shot and report back.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all so much, this is great info. MalibuJack your contributions as always greatly appreciated. BTW I now run the Dejon Tool stop leak setup with their diverter valve and its clearly the best diverter solution I've found for my car with the 3076 turbo, espically in track use.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:29 AM
EvoM Guru

It worked for me BTW! Except i have no warm up mode. But Nothing to cry about. W00T!
Old Apr 23, 2007, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hey V.8MR, the table adjustment worked well for you? what do you mean you have no warm up mode? what does the car do? or not do? And Tuner, as far as the dejon tool is concerned, did this fix the issue for you 100%? and shoudl it work the same with the stock turbo and intake? thanks guys
Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jersey Dino
hey V.8MR, the table adjustment worked well for you? what do you mean you have no warm up mode? what does the car do? or not do? And Tuner, as far as the dejon tool is concerned, did this fix the issue for you 100%? and shoudl it work the same with the stock turbo and intake? thanks guys
Well when first start her up, it stumbles and strugles to stay at 1k. Actualy its arround 700 and practicaly dieing. I have to use the thottle to keep er arround 1500 to get it to warm up. I have to shift quicker because the rpms drop faster and i have no more thottle hang! I am getting re-tuned this week with it addition of an ebay FMIC and i will report back.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok right on...keep us posted
Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Jersey Dino,

Yes, the Dejon Tool leak stopper/diverter valve pretty much eliminated surge issues. We never used it on a stock turbo but it would work very well with any setup, I'm sure.
Old May 2, 2007, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Could it still be possible that the rpm is scaled wrong? and it should go all the way from lowest rpm to redline or so.
Old May 2, 2007, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Throttle hang up

Ok, so we ran our red Evo at Thunderhill last Sunday with the newly scaled (using 30s) ISV map. Everything worked great. No more of the feeling of fighting the engine with the brakes on some of the corners. Our pad life went way up - ran 165 miles on the track (2 drivers) in 8 sessions and only used 5-6 mm of front pad on our Alcons. This is much better than past wear with this car. When cold it does not idle well but it only takes a short time to smooth out. As far as I'm concerned this issue is solved for us.
Old May 3, 2007, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Regarding those other three ISCV tables, I did some checking. It seems that the 05/06 roms are different then the 03/04's on those tables. The idle stepper table from the 03/04 wouldnt help because its actually higher values in upper rpm, all the way to 160's. But check these out...this is an 03 rom on the left, and my IX on the right:

I dont have this problem for some reason, so no use me trying it out. But someone try copying the settings from the ones on the left to their tables. From top it is in this order:

AC Off Neutral
AC Off Drive
AC On Neutral

The AC on Neutral are the same, so dont worry about those. I just left those in for reference. Someone try it out!
Attached Thumbnails Throttle hang and the Idle Stepper Table-untitled.jpg  
Old May 3, 2007, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Im willing to bet money on this actually. The more I look at it, the more it makes sense. The IX tables on the right in the AC Off Neutral (top right) are way higher then the 03's table to the left. I bet you could just change those last two values (102) to the values from the 03 and fix this. That way your cold idle wouldnt be affected, but once warm it wouldnt hang anymore.

Someone test my theory

Quick Reply: Throttle hang and the Idle Stepper Table