Notices
ECU Flash

Throttle hang and the Idle Stepper Table

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2007, 10:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good post, this is what I was eluding to in my prior 2 posts.
Old May 3, 2007, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an '03 and it has the setting previously posted and I still get the throttle hang. It happens at about 1200 RPM so it really doesnt affect my driving or anything. I think it has to do with the cams. I am not sure though. I have the stock map with cams and stock injectors to test it out. I am going back to my big injectors.
Old May 3, 2007, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Good post, this is what I was eluding to in my prior 2 posts.
I saw that MJ, thats why I went digging through my maps. I have a guy that I tuned recently that is having the same issue, so was just trying to find a solution. I will be trying some of this stuff out when I meet up with him next week.
Old May 3, 2007, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

I want to play devils advocate here, what if the idle stepper throttle hang was designed to make fast acceleration shifting smoother, preventing the rpms from falling fast to insure a smooth engagment due to engine speed and drivetrain speed matching up.

Any of you that changed the map around to the low 30's or 40's to prevent the hang, notice a difference with shifts? mid range shifts, top end shifts?

I think i will go try it out this weekend, until then let me know what you guys think.
Old May 3, 2007, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

The reason why i ask, is for some reason i think my clutch engagment is smoother when its cold, and when the car starts warming up the engagment gets rougher, (could just be in my head, but for some reason i think i shift smoother when i first drive the car, not full operating temp).
Old May 4, 2007, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

My contribution to this thread:
Attached Thumbnails Throttle hang and the Idle Stepper Table-iscv-steps-vs-temp.gif  

Last edited by AutoXer; May 4, 2007 at 04:27 AM.
Old May 27, 2007, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well I changed those last two values in my map to match your 03 map like you suggested. I did not notice a change in the "throttle hang" while downshifting into the higher rev range. I did notice that my car idled a few hundred RPM lower. sometimes feeling as if it was going to stall. Has anyone had any updates on this? any fixes yet?
Old May 27, 2007, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

which ISCV table do you have ??
a bunch of 160s at the bottom or 113 at the lowest ??

If you've throttle hang .. lower the numbers below 160 ..

MJ, the scalings are wrong (not rpm or uint16) and there are a couple of other subroutines that references the ISC table .. I have like 6 initial ISC step tables vs the 3 defined initially (3 warmup and 3 normal)
Old May 28, 2007, 06:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you have updated info for 94170008 so I can see what the other tables look like?

I'm really not surprised in the least that the scalings are wrong. The three tables above are coolant temp if I recall. If there are 3 additional ones, they could be related to A/C or other higher load conditions where idle adjustment is necessary.
Old May 28, 2007, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To be honest I am pretty new to ECU flash and am still trying to learn what everything is. I am also at a disadvantage because I dont have a windows laptop. I have to keep borrowing someone elses. the table that I modified looked exactly like the ones 20PSIMR posted. the two tables were identical. And only modified 2 values in the table that I did change. what does "94170008" refer to in the ECU? and where can it be found?
Old Jul 4, 2007, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

any updates?
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

I found something yesterday, and you guys are more then welcome to try it out. First, the back story:

I installed Cosworth cams in my IX the other day. Yesterday I decided to bump my idle up a touch using the Desired Idle RPM-Neutral and -Drive tables. I had read some posts earlier that day about TouringBubble trying to raise his idle and those tables not working so well. I have noticed the same thing in the past.

His post is here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=279359

Add the tables into your definition file 88590015. Not sure if they work for other definitions however. What I noticed was when changing things around, I induced the high rpm RAISE during shifts. It did hang as well, but depended on shift point. Basically it wanted to be at 2500rpm+ or so during the shift, so if you shifted fast it would hang. If you shifted slow, it would drop to 1000 then quickly raise to 2500 for a few seconds. This is all from memory, and I flashed it out quick. Here is what I changed.

These are the settings I have in now that DO NOT cause a hang at any point.

They are from left to right:
Top Row: Desired Idle RPM-Neutral, Desired Idle RPM-Drive, Actual Desired Idle RPM
Bottom row: Idle RPM and Idle Limit

I think what caused it was having the same settings for RPM-Neutral and the RPM-Drive table. For some reason putting higher numbers in the top of the RPM-Drive table (read: low engine temp part) was causing it. I flashed each table back to the way I had it individually then tested, and after flashing that table back to what it shows in the pic, it went away.

Basically what it comes down to I believe is this. Change your normal Idles in the normal operating temps part of the tables and you should be fine. My car is idleing at just over 900 on the tach, and with AC on it doesnt stall out so bad. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Throttle hang and the Idle Stepper Table-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by 20psiMR; Jul 13, 2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 20psiMR
My car is idleing at just over 9k on the tach, and with AC on it doesnt stall out so bad. Hope this helps.
I think you have just a little typo there. A 9k idle is a wee bit high.

Eric
Old Jul 13, 2007, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

haha! Yep, meant 900. WOOPSY!
Old Jul 27, 2007, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

any news on a fix yet my car has done it since the first time i got on it.it makes it hard to shift fast because the rpms jump up as you slam the next gear .

Quick Reply: Throttle hang and the Idle Stepper Table