Notices
ECU Flash

Throttle hang and the Idle Stepper Table

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think this is the only table that affects it. I agree that you can get rid of it with this table, more than likely at the expense of your idle. I have made adjustments to other IX idle tables that affected my throttle hang, with no changes to the stepper table. I think it's more of a correct combination of values in all the idle tables combined. A while ago, I had near perfect idle with next to no hang and no BISS adjustment. I changed it though thinking I could make it a little better, and failed. I didn't save them, nor do I remember what they were. I also can't speak of how they would have worked in the winter/fall.

Last edited by biggie5252; Oct 9, 2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biggie5252
I don't think this is the only table that affects it. I agree that you can get rid of it with this table, more than likely at the expense of your idle. I have made adjustments to other IX idle tables that affected my throttle hang, with no changes to the stepper table.
i have read the 5or 6 threads on this, but in short, what helped the most for Throttle hang, and impacted idle the least? (idle is fine right now on my car, but have very unwanted throttle hang) I'm on the 88950015 rom.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:45 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tnt1106
i have read the 5or 6 threads on this, but in short, what helped the most for Throttle hang, and impacted idle the least? (idle is fine right now on my car, but have very unwanted throttle hang) I'm on the 88950015 rom.
Same here, my idle is fine but my throttle hangs bad. I really hate it. One of the few things i really hate about the car.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Same here, my idle is fine but my throttle hangs bad. I really hate it. One of the few things i really hate about the car.
for sure its cam related, or aspect of the rom changed to tune cams. i have started reverting ALL ecu settings to stock setting to reverse the effect. My can never had a hint of this before friday night when we added cams to it. (s2 if it matters). Since then I had changed:

desired idles (n) (d)
actual desired idle rpm
(mivec and ig timing 1k rpm's and 0 40 loads)

at that point I had hang.

I will update if I find a good solution. Hard to road race when car gives you extra 3 second "bursts" of throttle into a corner Hold on haha ( or pray?)
Old Oct 9, 2008, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't have any real noticeable hang until I got cams (m2s) either.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

i changed everything idle related back to stock settings. I keeped only ignition timing and mivec settings (9*) and 0 advance idle cells. seems to be mostly gone with you far "bottom right" stepper table (changed bottom 6 cells to 60). will report back after track day saturday.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

How was the track day?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by biggie5252
How was the track day?
It went well. I think no more throttle hang, with above mentioned settings. Ill post pics when I am able to. um some video of track day in the south forum. Link:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=374076
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Well I have been pulling an ostrich for the last 2 years and have been ignoring the fact that there is idle hang. I dont have any issues and I hadnt seen any until this week. So I read all this thread and a few others and I while I had figured out the coolant on my own, I think the other axis is RPM but RPMtarget not how it was. Looking at my logs it seems to correspond to this...definitely not load. It also seems as you gents are aware that it just uses 41*C as the last column and doesnt pull a timing table trick and interpolate past and spiral down. It just locks in on that table. Here is what I have as of today though and it all matches target RPM as listed in Evoscan (log to coolant to ISC steps). I'll post the corresponding log up after lunch.

aaron

Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Well I have been pulling an ostrich for the last 2 years and have been ignoring the fact that there is idle hang. I dont have any issues and I hadnt seen any until this week. So I read all this thread and a few others and I while I had figured out the coolant on my own, I think the other axis is RPM but RPMtarget not how it was. Looking at my logs it seems to correspond to this...definitely not load. It also seems as you gents are aware that it just uses 41*C as the last column and doesnt pull a timing table trick and interpolate past and spiral down. It just locks in on that table. Here is what I have as of today though and it all matches target RPM as listed in Evoscan (log to coolant to ISC steps). I'll post the corresponding log up after lunch.

aaron

Old Nov 14, 2008, 04:03 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley

aaron
Whenever i get throttle hang i can distinctly watch it stop the injectors around 3100rpm. There has to be something in the code, other than this table, that for some reason tells the computer to actually stop the injectors. I think whatever we do is a bandaid until we get someone to truly look at the code and see whats going on.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i need to fix my throttle hang and a.c idle, seems like the IAC is going out again, i just put a new one in.....
Old Nov 14, 2008, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Whenever i get throttle hang i can distinctly watch it stop the injectors around 3100rpm. There has to be something in the code, other than this table, that for some reason tells the computer to actually stop the injectors. I think whatever we do is a bandaid until we get someone to truly look at the code and see whats going on.
I agree with what you say about the hang being associated with RPM My car hangs at varying degrees depending on tune at anything above 3100-3200 rpm. If whatever causes this could be turned off the problem would be gone IMO. Higher base idle seems to make this worse as I just recently put my idle back to stock rpm's and it is much improved.

My car has done this since day one and no mods so it is something programmed in

Downshifting and slowing down for a turn is definitely not as efficient with throttle hanging and speeding you up instead of engine back pressure slowing you down.

PS It is more of a delay until RPM's start dropping and the speed in which they drop versus the throttle/rpm actually hanging in my case. Maybe just a play on words and maybe it describes the situation better. Need more coffee just woke up
Old Nov 14, 2008, 07:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Someone should try and find the decel fuel code and take a look at it.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 01:26 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris@AMS
Someone should try and find the decel fuel code and take a look at it.
There was a post somewhere about the amount of time the injectors and other items stay on after liftoff that may help or be related...

Quick Reply: Throttle hang and the Idle Stepper Table