Notices
ECU Flash

Throttle hang and the Idle Stepper Table

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2007, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
make that 3 friends with IX's that have the same problem.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, someone suggested that it may be part of the anti-lag maps that are left over in our cars from the JDM.

I set the start to 7500 and the stop to 8000 and it didn't change a thing (rev limit = 7200). So, not anti-lag. I guess i will just have to VTA when i go to the track. Such rice...
Old Feb 1, 2007, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

This is something I noticed my 06 EVO doing since day one but never looked at is as a problem. I always noticed that after a downshift into higher revs, once the brake was applied, the car began to slow down way faster. I never noticed that engine wasn't braking, and thought that it could have been something to simply assist the car in slowing down. Since reading through this post though, it has been driving me crazy every time i drive the car.
Now that I am done ranting, what I did notice is that if you are above 3500-4000rpm range it hangs. If you push slightly on the clutch pedal, to the point where you take that inch or so of travel out right before you would be able to disengage the clutch, it starts to engine brake. release it and it kinda goes back to a hanging throttle. I can do it every time. Now the question still remains, is it an ECU issue or a hardware issue.
Some have said that upgrading their clutch line has remedied the problem. I image the restrictor pills have been removed also. I still am not sure why it works this way, but since I can manipulate the engine braking by pushing the clutch pedal slightly, as described above, it gives me reason to think that the "problem" might not be ECU related or at least not entirely related.
Go out and try it, see if you have the same results. post up
Old Feb 1, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does everyone who is experiencing this problem have their clutch switch still plugged in....the one that won't let you start the car unless the clutch is depressed?

I'm just curious because I don't think I have ever experienced this problem on my 05, but the first day I got the car, I unplugged that switch. It's sort of a preventive measure that came from my DSM days.

Since some people state that slightly engaging the clutch pedal fixes it, then perhaps unplugging the clutch switch will remedy it, too? Just curious.

Eric
Old Feb 1, 2007, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mine is still plugged in. I have seen a video of what the revs look like while that switch is unplugged. they are very slow to come down if I remember correctly. Mine is still in. But I think you and I are both saying the same thing, that engaging the clutch someone remedies the problem. What I am wondering is if changing the clutch line or removing the restrictor pill fixes this.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

If you are only depressing the clutch enough to trigger that switch, and not disengage the clutch, i'm not sure how changing the clutch line would solve this.

I will definitely try unplugging that switch though, plus having to put in the clutch to start the car is annoying. Any side effects of doing this? Does the soft rev limiter still work?

If triggering that switch solves the problem, then i would say it even more supports the fact that this is an ecu problem. If you have a wb, you will see that fuel is being delivered. Then, once down past 3500ish rpm, the fuel is cut and the car engine brakes like it should.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:44 AM

i think maybe there is a flip side to this, it seems like between shifts at WOT and high RPM's this could actually help keep the RPM's up where they were before initiating the shift.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by YumGTR
i think maybe there is a flip side to this, it seems like between shifts at WOT and high RPM's this could actually help keep the RPM's up where they were before initiating the shift.
Perhaps, but the decel into a corner at high speed and high braking, where the motor is fighting the brakes (IE turn one at MMP) its scary. You will find out soon enough...lol.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:36 PM

yes, i guess i do rely on some engine braking to help decel the car in many turns.

you and adam have both raced your ix's out there, so if you say it's scary i'll have to believe you.

let us know if unhooking the clutch switch changes anything.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

i noticed it a couple times, but i also unhooked the clutch safety switch from my DSM days, hasent happend since its been 4 months. Those of you experiencing it try un hooking your clutch safety switch.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by coolguycooz
i noticed it a couple times, but i also unhooked the clutch safety switch from my DSM days, hasent happend since its been 4 months. Those of you experiencing it try un hooking your clutch safety switch.
What are side effects of doing this? Will the stationary rev limiter still work?
Old Feb 3, 2007, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by eficker
What are side effects of doing this? Will the stationary rev limiter still work?
The stationary rev limit will still work. This is the 'safety' switch that won't let you start the car without the clutch depressed. I have had this unplugged since day 1. It was my first mod.

I think there are actually three clutch switches. I'm pretty sure this clutch switch in question is simply for the reason mentioned. I can look through the SM later, but I'm a bit lazy right now. I had this switch unplugged on my DSM for years for various issues with heavy clutches and crankwalk and having it connected on the Evo was just more of an annoyance for me, since I am used to not having it plugged in.

I was just curious if the ECU uses this switch in any way with respect to the problem that is posted in this thread. Since I have that switch unplugged and I never experienced this problem, I thought I would at least mention that, so someone experiencing the problem could test it out.

Eric
Old Feb 3, 2007, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Eric, thanks for that info. I will unplug it today and test it out.

Yeah, i hate the "clutch to start feature" as well. It will be good to have it eliminated!

I'll post up after i test.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

well one way to figure it out, somebody trace the clutch safety switch down, if it runs to the ECU it possibly might have other uses, if it runs to a relay, or the ignition switch, its strictly has to do with sending 12 volts to the starter solenoid when you turn the key to start, and nothing else.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by coolguycooz
well one way to figure it out, somebody trace the clutch safety switch down, if it runs to the ECU it possibly might have other uses, if it runs to a relay, or the ignition switch, its strictly has to do with sending 12 volts to the starter solenoid when you turn the key to start, and nothing else.
I unplugged it. And although i love not having to put the clutch in to start it, i still have slow decel and fuel is still being delivered.

Quick Reply: Throttle hang and the Idle Stepper Table