Serial cable

I also Need this Info:

rodrigodiaz@iamerica.cl

THANKS
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edit

Last edited by Ph3n1x; Jul 7, 2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
please pm me the instructions as well jnsntess@hotmail.com
Old Apr 30, 2007, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Look at post #14. That's all there is.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Here is a link to the parts you need

Here's the Dsub connector that's needed.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

USB / Serial Adpater that works

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1110263657278

Now this connector has "inserts" and you solder (recommended) or crimp (not recommended) to the blue wire to pin 2 and attach the ground that your gauge uses to pin 5 - I recommend using about 3ft of wire to extend the connector so that you can put the female connector under your ashtray. Also, when they describe the pin numbers ( pin 2 and pin 5) they are talking about a male plug so keep that in mind as you assemble your cable as you'll be using the female plug. Check post 41 to be sure.

Then you can plug this directly into your serial port on your laptop if you have one or if you dont have a serial port you can get a USB/Serial adapter (the cheap one at best buy works). Some USB/Serials may not work because they might use the same chip as the tactrix but the cheap one at best buy works.

Also as far as installing the gauge in your car. I removed the passenger seat and pulled the carpet away and you'll find a grommet that the factory rear o2 sensor wires come through. I careully cut the grommet to allow the AEM harness to fit and pushed the AEM o2 sensor down through the hole (it's a tight fit) but it will go without drilling.. work with it. I then routed the wire up through the console under the dash to my gauge location (A pillar). I strongly recommend soldering and shrink wrapping all power / ground connections to avoid future electrical problems / shorts.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Jun 13, 2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
if the connector fits through... shouldn't the o2 sensor fit? you can't just push that sensor through down instead of pushing the connector up? or am i misunderstanding you
Old Jun 13, 2007, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Your absolutely right. the connectors are inside the car and I just pushed the o2 sensor down the hole. I have a bad memory but I went out and checked. I fixed the instructions above.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Jun 13, 2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
cool cool so it fits that hole without any modification or some minor trimming of the grommet?
Old Jun 13, 2007, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
Here is a link to the parts you need

Here's the Dsub connector that's needed.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

USB / Serial Adpater that works

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1110263657278

Now this connector has "inserts" and you solder (recommended) or crimp (not recommended) to the blue wire to pin 2 and attach the ground that your gauge uses to pin 5 - I recommend using about 3ft of wire to extend the connector so that you can put the female connector under your ashtray. Also, when they describe the pin numbers ( pin 2 and pin 5) they are talking about a male plug so keep that in mind as you assemble your cable as you'll be using the female plug. Check post 41 to be sure.

Then you can plug this directly into your serial port on your laptop if you have one or if you dont have a serial port you can get a USB/Serial adapter (the cheap one at best buy works). Some USB/Serials may not work because they might use the same chip as the tactrix but the cheap one at best buy works.

Also as far as installing the gauge in your car. I removed the passenger seat and pulled the carpet away and you'll find a grommet that the factory rear o2 sensor wires come through. I careully cut the grommet to allow the AEM harness to fit and pushed the AEM o2 sensor down through the hole (it's a tight fit) but it will go without drilling.. work with it. I then routed the wire up through the console under the dash to my gauge location (A pillar). I strongly recommend soldering and shrink wrapping all power / ground connections to avoid future electrical problems / shorts.

That particular USB/Serial cable actually did not work for me. I got one from RadioShack that works fine so I don't know if maybe I just got a bad one or what .

Also if you use the DSub from RadioShack it actually numbers the pins on both the front and the back. So if you remember to follow those numbers (and not necessarily the picture as the people who installed the gauge did for me the first time ).

Ditto on soldering the connections into the plug. I crimped mine at first (not the best crimps as time would show) but because you keep attaching to the cable and pulling at it maybe (depending on where you put the cable) the connection can weaken a bit and then no data . Both soldered now and good to go
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone want to make some money? i dont have access to a radioshack or anything like it. and im willing to pay someone with one of these cables to make me one

Last edited by WongFu; Jun 16, 2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
cool cool so it fits that hole without any modification or some minor trimming of the grommet?

Yes but you have to play with it and maybe even "force" it a little but it will fit without modification to the body. I slit the grommet and included the AEM cable in the grommet and then wire tied it so that it's sealed again. Careful when your doing the cutting you dont want to cut the factory wires.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
bump
Old Sep 9, 2007, 04:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Maybe I am missing something. How do you log with this? What software do you use?

I assume it is just a 5V output?

Quick Reply: AEM UEGO Serial Cable Instructions