Notices
ECU Flash

Obd-ii Scan Tool Software That Works!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BADEVO
On my PC when I look at my portsthe Openport 1.3 yada yada yada comes up under the USB stuff . It doesnt give me a "comm port" etc
Your probably still running the 1.28 drivers.. the 1.29 drivers do create a com port you can use with it.

Once i have some time I'm going to "clean up" the app a little, I won't be able to add the direct USB functionality simply because the app would need pretty serious reengineering the way its written, but I will expand the com port support to allow port numbers higher than 4.. Additionally I'll add the Tactrix cable to the dropdown, plus it will automatically disable the functions in the configuration tabs that the tactrix cable doesnt support.. Thats the best I'd be able to do until the software is migrated over to .NET
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
malibu,

Where do I get the 1.29 drivers from sir ?
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
malibu,

Where do I get the 1.29 drivers from sir ?
They are installed with EcuFlash 1.29 on openecu.org

-Paul
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just download the new version of ECUFlash here .
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm on 1.29 but device managers says its under USB when I plug the cable in
Old Nov 7, 2006, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Just downloaded 1.29 I'll check it on the way home.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I'm on 1.29 but device managers says its under USB when I plug the cable in
Try uninstalling old version and all drivers. I was having same problem because I didnt uninstall older version.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Im an idiot when it comes to the software thing somtimes. I only have 1.29 on my laptop now Ill try uninstalling it at reinstalling it
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

OK deleted all driver ECUFlash and reinstalled 1.29. Pluged in the Tactrix cable an it auto installs. Still when I go into device manager it only shows under USB devices. Not under ports-Com/LPT1 ports Im on WIN 2000 NT if that matters. When I go into the OBD-II app it gives me an error if I try to read
Old Nov 8, 2006, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

What am I doing wrong?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Does it matter? I mean, if you look at the Properties tab in your USB driver, you can find out what COM port it's actually assigned to. Can't you just use this port number?

I haven't tried myself yet, but that's how I got EvoScan to work for me.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Not on my system chief
Old Nov 8, 2006, 06:50 PM
EvoM Guru

I understand the issue he is having, though I'm not sure WHY he's experiencing it. If the drivers are installed correctly, the VCP (Virtual Com Port) should show up automatically..

I had an issue with one of my laptops, it kept detecting the existing FTDI drivers and never installed the new ones, even though they were "installed" by ECUFlash, what I ended up doing was uninstalling the drivers again, deleting the crap left behind, and then plugged in the cable, and went through the process of installing the driver by using the "install from a specific directory" choices..

It goes through the driver install twice, once for the cable, again for the VCP..

Okay, let me explain something about the VCP driver, its basically a shim that emulates a serial port and interfaces with the driver itself.. Its not required for apps that access the driver directly, only if you want to use older "COMx" types of apps..

Another issue you may have is the VCP driver may not install because there are no free ports available, if you have all sorts of plug and play devices on the computer which creates their own VCP's then you might find its either missing, or disabled. (FWIW I think WinXP supports up to COM32)

I have noticed some issues when doing this in Windows 2000, the driver didn't always install the VCP portion correctly.

Now.. Ultimately in order to get the app working, you HAVE to get that VCP set up for the tactrix cable, and you have to set the port to COM1-COM4, obviously not the easiest task for someone who isn't really familiar with this stuff.. So I understand some of you guys are having difficulty.. Unfortunately its the nature of these types of devices, especially do-it-yourself stuff.

In reality, I consider the ability to do this sort of stuff as a prerequisite for any sort of flashing/logginh tools.. So ultimately working through this, and gaining a bit from the effort, will benefit you guys.

Also understand that some of the most technical people have these problems too, so its not always easy to figure out.. But I have seen the issues most of you guys are describing and have worked through them. so Its certainly possible to fix most of the issues.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

I'm still unclear, MJ. Can you just confirm one point: is it possible to get it working while using a USB--Serial converter?

If so, I'm all set. I'll work through the rest of the potential issues myself. I just don't want to waste a lot of time on it if it's not technically possible to do using a converter.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 06:54 AM
EvoM Guru

For the tactrix cable there IS NO USB-SERIAL converter.. the cable is already a USB device that emulates a serial port..

If your using a generic home-made cable that uses an RS232 port, then it will work with a USB-Serial converter.. But its not required whatsoever with the tactrix cable.

Quick Reply: Obd-ii Scan Tool Software That Works!