Notices
ECU Flash

Obd-ii Scan Tool Software That Works!

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy a 20-30 dollar scan tool from amazon. I bought a elmscan 5 compact. Will clear codes, record raw data***** (little known fact you can turn raw data into a .hex file via notepad++..just a open txt file and options to convert to hex which is fully capable of editing either txt or hex even both files as in editing one properly edits the other).

Heres the trick: every car allows for on certain sensor monitors. Ones that I have pulled are all I need anyway and plenty at that.

Solution: use a CALC.VALUE to find unsupported sensors (if your not WELL VERSED in programming this is your best bet. They are pretty acuarate (SD +/- 1 or 2 units of measurement even to a 100th decimal depending on sensor) and a sensor have multiple ways to CALC.VAL a sensor.

If you have to have ABSOLUTE EXACT measurement (if your car is gutted and have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on the engine, and you are logging to tune for the most incredible but borderline "F it i can buy another motor" then you can program within the software).

Learning COM port functions and understanding your laptop and interface you can do A LOT for 30 bucks. Ever wonder why there is one wire in your flash harness? ONE WIRE TO TUNE.....
Grated tactrix is easy and anyone who wants to pay the 200 bucks can use ROM raider and EVOscan can do that. Iv adjusted timing, flashed a high oct fuel map, a/f ratio, knocksum, etc with a 30 dollar cable. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS IF YOU ARE NOT PC, INTERFACE, ECU or MOST IMPORTANT OBDII SAVY.

Sorry but people will argue all day on this. PM me what sensor data youre looking for. year and model of ECU or car. Ill figure your supported info you can data log and all the commands if it is not

Originally Posted by AWDBus
Anybody still have this? I cannot find a link. I need something that can monitor more then clear codes. I have a code scanner for that, but it does not monitor the sensors. I am using a tatrix cable 1.3 if that matters.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

scan tech

you can find the download for scan tech in hardcore's channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hardcoreracing?feature=mhee

lots of other evo tuning videos as well.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by andy2964
Buy a 20-30 dollar scan tool from amazon. I bought a elmscan 5 compact. Will clear codes, record raw data***** (little known fact you can turn raw data into a .hex file via notepad++..just a open txt file and options to convert to hex which is fully capable of editing either txt or hex even both files as in editing one properly edits the other).

Heres the trick: every car allows for on certain sensor monitors. Ones that I have pulled are all I need anyway and plenty at that.

Solution: use a CALC.VALUE to find unsupported sensors (if your not WELL VERSED in programming this is your best bet. They are pretty acuarate (SD +/- 1 or 2 units of measurement even to a 100th decimal depending on sensor) and a sensor have multiple ways to CALC.VAL a sensor.

If you have to have ABSOLUTE EXACT measurement (if your car is gutted and have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on the engine, and you are logging to tune for the most incredible but borderline "F it i can buy another motor" then you can program within the software).

Learning COM port functions and understanding your laptop and interface you can do A LOT for 30 bucks. Ever wonder why there is one wire in your flash harness? ONE WIRE TO TUNE.....
Grated tactrix is easy and anyone who wants to pay the 200 bucks can use ROM raider and EVOscan can do that. Iv adjusted timing, flashed a high oct fuel map, a/f ratio, knocksum, etc with a 30 dollar cable. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS IF YOU ARE NOT PC, INTERFACE, ECU or MOST IMPORTANT OBDII SAVY.

Sorry but people will argue all day on this. PM me what sensor data youre looking for. year and model of ECU or car. Ill figure your supported info you can data log and all the commands if it is not
Thanks for the offer, but I do general work for alot of freinds and family so there is no one car and I would hate to bug you that much. I was looking for something off the shelf that would be affordable (im no shop and only charge a little) which is why I stay busy working on cars. This program looked like it will fit the bill and I would like to try it.

hearnoevo Thanks for the link, I will check that out too.
Old May 27, 2012, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWDBus
Thanks for the offer, but I do general work for alot of freinds and family so there is no one car and I would hate to bug you that much. I was looking for something off the shelf that would be affordable (im no shop and only charge a little) which is why I stay busy working on cars. This program looked like it will fit the bill and I would like to try it.

hearnoevo Thanks for the link, I will check that out too.

Lol you will waste your money on a scan tool from a auto parts place i assure you.

ScanproXL
PCMscan
Dash Command

You can manage multiple vehicles that you could speficially run you friends and familys cars. If you want to spend 300the on a hand help.scan tool that gives just a P,U,C,M code (p#####, etc.)so then go online to figure out what it means or buy haynes obdII book. Then discern how to clear and what series of buttons to press to do what you want.

Ill click clear trouble codes, pending, MSC. Or the all codes. You have a better chance of using a scan tool that datalogs info off one car then you apply it to a wrong car unknowingly. I dont mind answering anything. Diagnostics and software programming has been a hobby/passion for a long time. Is it worth spending 300 on a sealed tool or under 30 and multiple software applications to run.

I work, go to keffer mitsu every other day to bs with tech amd parts and get to laugh at the MUT. Until they get in their VIIImr or 428bhp JDM. Im no where near a Tephra by any means and never will. Up to u man. I started with the same idea u have but spent montha researching. Its all on what u want to do with it. Dont expect to flash with a hand held unless its ab 3k$
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:47 PM

And as usual I cannot get my laptop to download this. Dang windows 7 nothing works right on it, I still cannot open my rom in Notepad++.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

What are you trying to find? Windows 7 is one of the better OS to use if you have to use windows. Could run on unbutu but miss a lot of funtions. Let me know what program your looking for. If using a handheld scantool no program is going to work. Most are completely useless and over priced to clear codes. I have since bought a used tactrix 1.3u for 90bucks plus 25 for evoscan and as always ecuflash is free. Handheld tools are not going to program very much if aanything at all. reading codes and clearing them only works for about 20 miles. Disconnecing the negative terminal on your battery would do the same as hand helds. scantool.net has PC programs far more useful for minimal programming/commanding but fantastic for datalogging. If you have a PC based scan tool be sure you have the most up to date ftdi drivers installed on your cable and run vurtual com ports.

Originally Posted by 4g63Boostjunkie
And as usual I cannot get my laptop to download this. Dang windows 7 nothing works right on it, I still cannot open my rom in Notepad++.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by andy2964
What are you trying to find? Windows 7 is one of the better OS to use if you have to use windows. Could run on unbutu but miss a lot of funtions. Let me know what program your looking for. If using a handheld scantool no program is going to work. Most are completely useless and over priced to clear codes. I have since bought a used tactrix 1.3u for 90bucks plus 25 for evoscan and as always ecuflash is free. Handheld tools are not going to program very much if aanything at all. reading codes and clearing them only works for about 20 miles. Disconnecing the negative terminal on your battery would do the same as hand helds. scantool.net has PC programs far more useful for minimal programming/commanding but fantastic for datalogging. If you have a PC based scan tool be sure you have the most up to date ftdi drivers installed on your cable and run vurtual com ports.
I am trying to download the obd 2 scan tech. Everytime the download fails but doesn't say way. It shows in the bottom left corner it completed the DL but nothing is there when I try to open it. I already have Ecuflash and Evoscan, along with the cables, I also have an issue looking at me rom image in Notepad++, everything shows up jibberish. I tried downloading the xml stuff for NP++ and put everything where it goes and of course that didn't work either. I am not a computer expert but can usually get what I need done.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

I got a blutooth OBD 2 scanner and Torque for my Android phone. So far it has been great and at under 30 bucks for both parts has been well worth it.