Notices
ECU Flash

another source for cable & afr sensor

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2006, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Doesn't work for me, either. Three different PCs.

Eric
Old Dec 16, 2006, 07:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried COM2 and COM3 as shown in the manual, neither worked. "No open port 1.3 cable is currently available."
Old Dec 16, 2006, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
We are all having the same problem. This is the reply from Innovate forums.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/f...9067#post29067

"I've gotten one other report of this. I'm trying to walk through the steps on a clean machine now, but the openecu.org web site appears to be down this morning. My suspician is that the driver is 'missing' as far as the plug in is concerned (the plug in calls something called D2XX from the chip maker for the OpenPort Cable).

I will work through this as soon as I can get the latest installer from the OpenEcu.org site. One thing - could you confirm what version of EcuFlash you installed and let me know?

I'm very sorry you are having a problem. Felipe and I did test this before posting, but I think we missed a combination of installation order or something.

-jjf"

Please let them know that we are all having the same problem.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 09:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah apparently the driver for the 1.3u is the same, but the PID for the cable is different..

I have the correct and newest drivers, when I get my package I'll try to fix it if OpenECU is still down, if I get something together that works seamlessly I'll post about it.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor

That is clever marketing their software only works on their cables lol, what is the 1.3U PID, anyone can change them in their cable.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 02:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Nah its a tactrix cable, before the site went down, they started selling 1.3U cables which are the Universal, I have to assume the newest drivers packed in the newest version of ECUFlash had the correct definition for it.

If you let the plug and play stuff pick up the cable, you can either force it to use a different Tactrix driver, or if it detects it with now driver (the yellow exclamation) then look under the properties to find the PID in the list of properties.. Write that info down, then modify the INF file (copy the section) and add the new cable, and put its ID in there.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 03:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah I know its a tactrix cable, but they can change the PID and hardcode the software to it if they wanted.

And I already had the Plug and Play version, the virtual com ports install come up perfectly and VERY easily in the device manager, I reckon the ecuflash installer is better than the ones available on the FTDI website

I have 4 vmware test machines, from my experience it looks like something that only the orginal developer can debug.

Last edited by evo4mad; Dec 16, 2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 04:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah I suppose they could do that.. the FTDI driver package from the FTDI website has none of the PIDs for the Tactrix cable at all, so it makes things even more difficult.

I currently have a 1.3m (mitsu) cable, and will be getting the 1.3u with the Innovate package, so I'll be able to quickly see what is going on.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

This was posted in the Innovate forums:

Thanks. As promised, I put together a simple test app that dumps debug messages from each step (finding the cable, opening a protocol, querrying a value, etc.).

It can be downloaded here: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/downloads/OPTestSetup.exe

It always installs to <Program Files>\LogWorks2 and always puts the shortcut in LogWorks2\Tools.

Be sure to exit the Plug-in app before running the setup. I put more cable detection messages in the ActiveX control.

Once I have more information, I'd be happy to extend support to as many different OpenPort types and ecus as possible. I am also putting both the source for the test application, and the soruce for the ActiveX control that does most the work in a new repository at www.enginuity.org (cabletools) today.

-jjf

I tried to run this and see if the plug-ins work after I ran it, but it did not work. I have no idea the steps that we should take before or after running this program. If someone can get the plug-ins to work after using this application please show us how.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

My name is Joe Fitzpatrick, I am an engineer here at Innovate Motorsports. I would have replied to this thread earlier, but it took awhile to get approved for posting.

First, let me clear up some myths that seem to be swirling around. Our LC-1 wideband controller does, most assuredly, have built in serial ports. Two in fact, since multiple LC-1s (along with other Innovate hardware) can be chained to a single serial port on your computer. The serial port and the two analog outputs are not mutually exclussive. That is, you can program an analog output to simulate a narrow band sensor and hook the line to your ECU, program the second analog out to a 3rd party analog data logger, and still hook the serial port to a PC for logging.

Second, we avoid 'lock in' practices as a matter of policy. We give away our data logging application (LogWorks). But we don't care what logger you use. We provide the serial protocol used by our products on request and we provide a free SDK which wraps all the parsing and channel managment up into an ActiveX control. A number of 3rd party efforts have used this control to integrate our wideband products into their logging (ecuEdit and ecuExplorer come to mind).

Third, there is nothing sneaky or nefarious in our recent bundle offer of Tactrix cables. I stumbled on the OpenEcu community, discovered that an open source effort called Enginuity (www.enginuity.org) could not use the SDK I wrote because it was not cross platform or in Java. So I offered to do a port. My boss kicked in for the cable with the understanding that the port is on my time. However, I did not have either a Mitsubishi or a Subraru, so I started by writing tools to do other ISO/SAE protocols on the Tactrix cable so that I could actually test integration into the Enginuity logger. Once I had things working here, my boss thought of the bundle as a way to make our wideband controllers more affordable to a small, but die hard tuning, community.

There is zero effort to hold things close. The cable code and a little test application for it are already available as source at www.enginuity.org. The complete source for the plug ins (along with source for another set of plug ins I'm doing for a popular open ECU) will be released with our LogWorks3 very early next year.

Some folks with IE 7 installed, Open Port 1.2 cables, and Open Port 1.3 M cables have had some problems. I'm sorry, I generated a diagnostic application when I heard about the problems on Sunday and took the results to make some fixes yesterday. You can read about the changes and get links to the updated downloads here:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/f...9140#post29140

I'd like to be even more responsive but, again, this is a volunteer effort on my part and a good will gesture to an open tuning community on Innovate's part. Still, I will gladly address problems as quickly as possible when they are reported to me.

Best Regards,
-jjf
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

You guys rock... I'm glad I have an Innovative wideband.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Extra note: The LogWorks installation file name is unchanged, so be sure to hit refresh or clear your cache if you have installed via the web before.

-jjf
Old Dec 19, 2006, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Guys,

I got it to WORK!!!

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/f...1&postcount=28

I only logged three parameters, timing, load, and throttle. I did notice that Knock Sum is NOT listed in the parameters that we can log from the ECU. I do not know why????

Another oddity is when I increased the rpm from idle to 2500 rpm and held it steady, the Engine Load number went down rather than up!!!

Last edited by nj1266; Dec 19, 2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 04:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by jfitzpat
Hi,

My name is Joe Fitzpatrick, I am an engineer here at Innovate Motorsports. I would have replied to this thread earlier, but it took awhile to get approved for posting.

First, let me clear up some myths that seem to be swirling around. Our LC-1 wideband controller does, most assuredly, have built in serial ports. Two in fact, since multiple LC-1s (along with other Innovate hardware) can be chained to a single serial port on your computer. The serial port and the two analog outputs are not mutually exclussive. That is, you can program an analog output to simulate a narrow band sensor and hook the line to your ECU, program the second analog out to a 3rd party analog data logger, and still hook the serial port to a PC for logging.

Second, we avoid 'lock in' practices as a matter of policy. We give away our data logging application (LogWorks). But we don't care what logger you use. We provide the serial protocol used by our products on request and we provide a free SDK which wraps all the parsing and channel managment up into an ActiveX control. A number of 3rd party efforts have used this control to integrate our wideband products into their logging (ecuEdit and ecuExplorer come to mind).

Third, there is nothing sneaky or nefarious in our recent bundle offer of Tactrix cables. I stumbled on the OpenEcu community, discovered that an open source effort called Enginuity (www.enginuity.org) could not use the SDK I wrote because it was not cross platform or in Java. So I offered to do a port. My boss kicked in for the cable with the understanding that the port is on my time. However, I did not have either a Mitsubishi or a Subraru, so I started by writing tools to do other ISO/SAE protocols on the Tactrix cable so that I could actually test integration into the Enginuity logger. Once I had things working here, my boss thought of the bundle as a way to make our wideband controllers more affordable to a small, but die hard tuning, community.

There is zero effort to hold things close. The cable code and a little test application for it are already available as source at www.enginuity.org. The complete source for the plug ins (along with source for another set of plug ins I'm doing for a popular open ECU) will be released with our LogWorks3 very early next year.

Some folks with IE 7 installed, Open Port 1.2 cables, and Open Port 1.3 M cables have had some problems. I'm sorry, I generated a diagnostic application when I heard about the problems on Sunday and took the results to make some fixes yesterday. You can read about the changes and get links to the updated downloads here:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/f...9140#post29140

I'd like to be even more responsive but, again, this is a volunteer effort on my part and a good will gesture to an open tuning community on Innovate's part. Still, I will gladly address problems as quickly as possible when they are reported to me.

Best Regards,
-jjf
What programming language are you working in?

I can work with you guys for Mitsulogger as its very complete and flexible for MUT logging and should be very easy to convert to a plugin due to how its written. E-mail me at the address I used when I ordered the package. (PM Me if you need the info)
my V2 architecture was designed specifically to create a pluggable architecture but I have been too busy to continue development on it for the time being.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 04:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by nj1266
Guys,

I got it to WORK!!!

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/f...1&postcount=28

I only logged three parameters, timing, load, and throttle. I did notice that Knock Sum is NOT listed in the parameters that we can log from the ECU. I do not know why????

Another oddity is when I increased the rpm from idle to 2500 rpm and held it steady, the Engine Load number went down rather than up!!!
You should also check to see if there's a configuration file for the plugin, the MUT codes shouldnt be hard coded as there are quite a few not yet documented and some have been revised over time.

Engine load typically goes down at a steady "Free-rev" state as once its spinning at that speed, it requires very little to maintain it, hence the low load. At least that was my typical observation on Mitsulogger, and should not be all that different.

Quick Reply: another source for cable & afr sensor