Notices
ECU Flash

Newbie, but not an idiot...need a couple clues

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2006, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie, but not an idiot...need a couple clues

I've got an HKS drop-in air filter and a Buschur TBE. I've been thinking about mailing off the ECU for a reflash, but saw someone in another thread suggest using EcuFlash. From what I've read, I think I'd need a Tactrix cable, EcuFlash, a laptop, and a map provided by a reputable tuner. Anything else?

And the procedure is, roughly, hook everything up, grab a copy of the stock maps, and reflash with the new map?

So who sells EcuFlash flashes? I want one that doesn't fiddle with the boost at all because I autocross in the STU class. I also want a safe, conservative tune.

I don't have any plans to self tune, at this point, but if that changed, I guess I'd also need datalogging software and wideband A/F? Anything else?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
i think the best thing is getting a tune for your car not a map thats close.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
obviously the best thing is a tune, however, he was asking about and eflash, and you are right on with everything you need.... you pick a tuner, dynoflash, ams, you name it, they tune it lol..... but searching has paid off, and you seem to know what you need
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slowride
I've got an HKS drop-in air filter and a Buschur TBE. I've been thinking about mailing off the ECU for a reflash, but saw someone in another thread suggest using EcuFlash. From what I've read, I think I'd need a Tactrix cable, EcuFlash, a laptop, and a map provided by a reputable tuner. Anything else?

And the procedure is, roughly, hook everything up, grab a copy of the stock maps, and reflash with the new map?

So who sells EcuFlash flashes? I want one that doesn't fiddle with the boost at all because I autocross in the STU class. I also want a safe, conservative tune.

I don't have any plans to self tune, at this point, but if that changed, I guess I'd also need datalogging software and wideband A/F? Anything else?
You will need:
1. Tactrix cable
2. A "map"
3. A computer to load the map (not necessarily a laptop but it's much more convenient)

If you're the type to simply buy a map and drop it in...great but I think that it'd be much better to actually create your map on your own.

If you wanted to do that, you'd need a wideband...but if you had a cable and laptop already, that's it.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

just gety it professionally installed
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pure Playaer
just gety it professionally installed
There is no install.
It's data.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Contact John @ jestrtuning.com and go from there....
Old Dec 20, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Can someone explain in one or two sentences how wideband sensors are used to tune? Do you just make the maps as aggressive as possible without letting the A/F ratio drop too low?

To self-tune, I guess you need a logger, wideband, and tuning s/w, in addition to the stuff required to reflash. And the logging/tuning s/w has to be compatible with the logging h/w and wideband sensor? I've got a g2x logger, for which there's an NTK wideband available. Any chance that could be used for tuning?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 04:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You basically said it yourself.. Within reason, you set your AFR and try to stick to it, while adding a bit of timing, watching for knock, etc...

There's really no magic to tuning, its about balancing power and reliability. It takes a little bit of experience to do it right, but as long as you keep the engine fairly rich, don't overdo the boost, and don't run timing too aggressive, you'll be fine. Timing is probably the hardest concept to grasp, but if your old school, then you probably have a bit of experience with engine theory.

There are different locations in the maps (different RPM's and whatnot) where the engine's volumetric efficiency, and overall cylinder pressure, will affect the timing you can run, its really not all that difficult, but you always have to start with a stock map, and understand what it is the stock map is actually doing.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Timing is probably the hardest concept to grasp, but if your old school, then you probably have a bit of experience with engine theory.

There are different locations in the maps (different RPM's and whatnot) where the engine's volumetric efficiency, and overall cylinder pressure, will affect the timing you can run, its really not all that difficult, but you always have to start with a stock map, and understand what it is the stock map is actually doing.
yeah, fuel is pretty easy, but i still don't have a firm grasp on tuning the timing.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

Can someone explain in one or two sentences how wideband sensors are used to tune? Do you just make the maps as aggressive as possible without letting the A/F ratio drop too low?

To self-tune, I guess you need a logger, wideband, and tuning s/w, in addition to the stuff required to reflash. And the logging/tuning s/w has to be compatible with the logging h/w and wideband sensor? I've got a g2x logger, for which there's an NTK wideband available. Any chance that could be used for tuning?
From the sounds of your questions, you really should consider having a professional or highly skilled individual tune your car....From there you can play with things if you want to learn....Just my $0.02
Old Dec 21, 2006, 04:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cij911
From the sounds of your questions, you really should consider having a professional or highly skilled individual tune your car....From there you can play with things if you want to learn....Just my $0.02
Yes, thanks, as I said in the first message, I have no plans to self-tune at this time. I'm trying to educate myself. So can you answer my questions or not?
Old Dec 21, 2006, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

MJ answered your basic question about tuning...You want to maximize performance while not sustaining any knock....So log and monitor knock, AFR, boost, timing, load and make adjustments as needed....

Evoscan and Mitsulogger are the two logging software applications that many are using on this site (although there are others).....I am not familiar with the g2x logger, but it currently does not appear to be integrated with Evoscan....MJ can comment about Mitsulogger...

Best of luck
Old Dec 21, 2006, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cij911
You want to maximize performance while not sustaining any knock....So log and monitor knock, AFR, boost, timing, load and make adjustments as needed....
You need a wideband to measure AFR, right? Are knock, boost, timing, and load available via the ODBII port, or do they require additional sensors?

Evoscan and Mitsulogger are the two logging software applications that many are using on this site (although there are others).....I am not familiar with the g2x logger, but it currently does not appear to be integrated with Evoscan....MJ can comment about Mitsulogger...
The g2x has GPS and accelerometers, inputs for RPM and an EFI interface, and a serial bus with modules for AFR, oil temp/press, throttle position, steering, brake, EGT, etc. See;

http://www.g2xtreme.com/main.htm

I guess if none of the software supports it it could be used in a more manual way for tuning, but that wouldn't be as useful.

Thanks for the info, everyone.