Notices
ECU Flash

Logworks and Dataloglab

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Logworks and Dataloglab

I got the *.dif logs from Logworks to work with DataLogLab. Here is how I did it:

1. Export the session or entire log in *.dif format from Logworks
2. Open the log
3. Create a LogID column. Logworks *.dif logs already have a column in seconds that DLL needs to calculate power.
4. Save the log in *.csv format.

To view the log in DLL, you need to modify the existing *.txt definition file. So I did that to include column titles that correspond to the column titles of Logworks. I even added a boost column.

Load up the new Logworks.txt file in DLL and open the log in DLL and then calculate the power of your log.

Attached is the Logworks.txt file and an example of a Logworks log converted to *.csv format. You can change the txt file to resemble whatever you have in your xml file. This is is based on my xml file which is also attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Logworks.txt (4.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: zip
LW_12.24.06_14.22_xede13.zip (5.0 KB, 35 views)
Old Dec 27, 2006, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nj1266
I got the *.dif logs from Logworks to work with DataLogLab. Here is how I did it:

[snip]
4. Save the log in *.csv format.
FWIW, LogWorks3 (due out in late January) writes CSV files directly.

-jjf
Old Dec 27, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jfitzpat
FWIW, LogWorks3 (due out in late January) writes CSV files directly.

-jjf
That is good to know. Is it possible to also add a LogID column when a log is exported in *.csv format? That will make a Logworks log immediately compatible with DataLogLab.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

That is good to know. Is it possible to also add a LogID column when a log is exported in *.csv format? That will make a Logworks log immediately compatible with DataLogLab.
Do the columns have to be in specific order, or do you just need the extra column(s)?

Of course, I'd still like to put some time into better power calculations for you to use with our built in calculator as well...

-jjf
Old Dec 27, 2006, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jfitzpat
Do the columns have to be in specific order, or do you just need the extra column(s)?

Of course, I'd still like to put some time into better power calculations for you to use with our built in calculator as well...

-jjf
The LogID column should be the first one to the left in the log. The one next to it should be the Seconds column. The other order does not matter.

Look At the csv file that I included. The first column is the LogID column and has sequential numbers beneath it. Add that to what Logworks already does and save it in csv format and we will be very grateful

Take your time on the built in calculator. This one works for now and I am very happy about it.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 04:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Data Log Lab doesn't care about the order of anything but the LogID

If you can allow the header for the CSV output to be customized, then you can preconfigure, or allow it to be compatible with the existing mitsulogger/evoscan definition file (whichever you want) or we can set it up that way.

The reason I suggest doing that is its a bit cumbersome to have different definitions for each of these programs, and Evoscan has already deviated from the original layout where the Current definition file has several duplicate entries for different columns of the same data, with different headers, even though it can be done that way, it probably is preferrable to allow us to configure it for our own tools.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack

If you can allow the header for the CSV output to be customized, then you can preconfigure, or allow it to be compatible with the existing mitsulogger/evoscan definition file (whichever you want) or we can set it up that way.

The reason I suggest doing that is its a bit cumbersome to have different definitions for each of these programs, and Evoscan has already deviated from the original layout where the Current definition file has several duplicate entries for different columns of the same data, with different headers, even though it can be done that way, it probably is preferrable to allow us to configure it for our own tools.
That would be the ideal way to do it. This way we can use the same definition txt file for LW/ES/ML.

Currently, when you export a file from LW in *.dif format, the column heading adds the measurement unit in brackets as you can see from the attached file. I tried to re-configure the LW channels so that will not happen, but I could not do it. So I had to re-edited the txt definition file since I could not use the same one that ML uses. But the channle headings are almost the same to the ones that ML uses w/the exception of the measurement unit.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

I like the idea of letting it be customizable. That lets folks solve for Data Log Lab, Evoscan, or whatever. I'll have to look at the remainining stuff and see if we can fit a config dialog or pattern file in. If not, it will definately go on the todo list for the next update.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestion.
-jjf
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

I have been in tontact with Glenn @ DataLogLab. He got back to me. He created a txt file for us to use with logworks. All we have to do with this one is save the file in csv format. No need to create a LogID column at all. Simply export the session in dif format and then open it and save it in csv format.

I added to it two items that I forgot to e-mail him in the log, ie, IDC, and LoadAF. Everything else I left as is.

I do not know how this changes things for jfitzpat's plan, but I think I should share it with you guys.
Attached Files
LM-1_DataLogDefinition.txt (6.3 KB, 29 views)
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It shouldn't change anything he was planning.. In reality all of these definitions need to be combined into a single file if we are going to use logs from different places that are roughly compatible.

But whichever you use, you just can't go wrong with DLL..
Old Dec 29, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

It shouldn't change anything he was planning.. In reality all of these definitions need to be combined into a single file if we are going to use logs from different places that are roughly compatible.

But whichever you use, you just can't go wrong with DLL..
Right now I am using DLL for the power calculation only. The logging is done in realtime with Logworks.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but i'm having some issues with loading logs from LW2 into DLL. I have the definitions for lw2 and have all my settings in DLL correct i think. I exported the datalog from lw2 and saved as a .dif then opened it in excel and saved it in csv format. Now, when i go into DLL to open the datalog, i can see it in the file list as a .csv but when i try to open it it says "error loading datalog, no time column found(and no fixed frequency in datalog definition),,,,,,,end".

I have tried several lw2 datalogs and to no avail. Any idea guys?

Thanks!

CJ
Old Mar 7, 2007, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by iTune
i hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but i'm having some issues with loading logs from LW2 into DLL. I have the definitions for lw2 and have all my settings in DLL correct i think. I exported the datalog from lw2 and saved as a .dif then opened it in excel and saved it in csv format. Now, when i go into DLL to open the datalog, i can see it in the file list as a .csv but when i try to open it it says "error loading datalog, no time column found(and no fixed frequency in datalog definition),,,,,,,end".

Thanks!

CJ
I'm sorry, I don't have a copy of DLL, so I can't really debug it. It seems that NJ got it to work, so perhaps he can chime in.

-jjf
Old Mar 7, 2007, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by iTune

Thanks!

CJ
Try this definition file and see if it works. The file was created by the maker of DLL. I hope it works for you.
Attached Files
LM-1_DataLogDefinition.txt (6.7 KB, 18 views)
Old Mar 7, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try this definition file and see if it works. The file was created by the maker of DLL. I hope it works for you.
That worked for me thanks! But there is a problem, DLL will not show anything in the log, all i can get to show up in the graph is calculated load.. i'm still trying to figure it out.

Thanks again!

CJ

Quick Reply: Logworks and Dataloglab