ECU Flash

Newb Zeitronix Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Newb Zeitronix Question

Question...

I will at some point be getting a Wideband... Most agree that the Zeitronix is the top of the line.

I'm waiting for this to become available:

So my question is, what exactly do I have to buy? Do I buy a ZT2 and then connect this 52mm gauge to it? Do I need more than just the ZT2? Where's the best place to get all this?

All I'm looking for is AFR via the new 52mm gauge, and I wanna spend the least I can to get it.

Thanks, in advance.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My guess is that it will work the same way that the current display does. I personnally prefer the rectangular display.

I also assume that they will just release a packaged deal with the new display.

They are top notch products. I have been using mine for 2+ years without incident.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight from the site...

"Plugs directly into the Zt-2"

Last edited by FastAzzEvo; Jan 23, 2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

all you need to buy is the zt-2 package for $279. you can hook up your laptop to view your AFR readings when you get your car tuned. after dialing in your AFR's you just unhook your laptop and be done with it. <--this would be the cheapest way to go. you don't really need the gauge at all.

on the other hand, if you're going to be tuning the car yourself i would suggest getting the entire package. (AFR, EGT, and BOOST).
Old Jan 23, 2007, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by krillin
all you need to buy is the zt-2 package for $279. you can hook up your laptop to view your AFR readings when you get your car tuned. after dialing in your AFR's you just unhook your laptop and be done with it. <--this would be the cheapest way to go. you don't really need the gauge at all.
For example, my best guess is that it is a smart programmable gauge that is meant to plug into the zt-2. But the website says something about 'down' compatible with zt-2. I read this as 'backwards compatible with all...', but I could see how it might be interpretted as meaning that product is some sort of stand alone lambda metering system.

I really like the knurled bezel, it reminds me of the F-stop dial on my classic Nikon.

-jjf

Last edited by CharlesJ; Jan 24, 2007 at 06:00 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Can anyone recommend a reliable but cheap AFR solution? The gauge is not a necessity, but I would have preferred the gauge to the LCD box.

Using the laptop to view the data is not bad at all, again, I'm looking for best quality, cheapest way to see AFR
Old Jan 23, 2007, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jfitzpat
FWIW, there are a number of less expensive AFR only solutions for logging and tuning. I think that the issue here is that the poster really likes the gauge. From that point of view I think a little confusion is understandable.
-jjf
i dunno. i haven't done any research on widebands since i purchased my zeitronix about a year or so ago. the only things i read about people using at the time were the innovate (expensive with the datalogger) or AEM wideband(which, if i remember correctly, doesn't read lower AFR values). what other solutions are there? just curious as to other products that have similar features that can record data and that are cheaper.

shamelesscookie, what do you mean when you say cheap? do you have some sort of budget in mind?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

I was hoping there'd be a solution for $100 or less, but it looks like I'm gonna have to spend $300+
Old Jan 23, 2007, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShamelessCookie
I was hoping there'd be a solution for $100 or less, but it looks like I'm gonna have to spend $300+

Like you said if the gauge is not a necessity check out the innovative LC-1 its $199 with out the gauge. It comes with a serial cable and logging software. Then add the gauge to it when you like
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, thanks for all the great info!!!!

Again, my needs are not that of custom tuning... I simply want to ensure that before & after my mail-in flash(es), I am driving a safe car... that's it!

Honestly, after doing a bit of hunting, if I can find an NGK AFX w/ basic LED readout for $200 shipped (or slightly more) then I'll probably jump on it. If not, then I'll definitely consider the $199 innovative option
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Leave the NGK alone if your smart. I have a AT-2 and love it but I would also tell u if your on a budget look at innovate they make good stuff too!
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ShamelessCookie
Can anyone recommend a reliable but cheap AFR solution? The gauge is not a necessity,
Innovate LC1 + EvoScan = $199
Old Jan 23, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Innovate LC1 + EvoScan = $199
Technically, I think it would be $224 (isn't EvoScan $25?). But LogWorks, which we distribute free, will do MUT logging from the ECU. So someone may not need to make the EvoScan investment.

Again, I think it is important to look at particular installs/needs to compare pricing fairly. Just as I could argue that our LC-1 has some features that make it very favorable when compared to an NGK for particular applications, the features on the ZT-2 can make it very cost competitive for particular applications.

I just wanted to address a particular claim that I've seen alot (with no disrespect intended to krillin) - namely that we are generally more expensive. I simply don't think this is true.

-jjf
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jfitzpat
Technically, I think it would be $224 (isn't EvoScan $25?). But LogWorks, which we distribute free, will do MUT logging from the ECU. So someone may not need to make the EvoScan investment.

Again, I think it is important to look at particular installs/needs to compare pricing fairly. Just as I could argue that our LC-1 has some features that make it very favorable when compared to an NGK for particular applications, the features on the ZT-2 can make it very cost competitive for particular applications.

I just wanted to address a particular claim that I've seen alot (with no disrespect intended to krillin) - namely that we are generally more expensive. I simply don't think this is true.

-jjf
no worries. i apologize for my statement about the innovate being expensive. at the time of purchasing a wideband i went mostly by recommendations by some of the socalevo members, and lightly researched differences and pricing. it seemed that zeitronix was the cheapest so i went that route. i wasn't aware that innovate offered other products in the lesser price range.

and shameless, looks like you got a lot of options. unfortunately, it's going to cost you more than $100, which is worth it. but hey, you gotta pay to play right? hehe

oh btw, this is just my opinion but i think you should consider paying a little more and getting a custom tune rather a mail-in. you'll be happier in the end.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

Hi ShamelessCookie,
The new gauge received a great response at the SEMA show. Wish you could have been there to see it in person , but no worries the new gauge will be available soon.
The new 52mm gauge pictured above is compatible with all Zt-2s. Yes, it connects just like our current LCD display into the Zt-2 via a single "phone like" wire allowing for a clean and trouble free installation. Price to be announced but as always we will offer it at the best price possible.
We appreciate your interest.
Feel free to contact us for any further information.
Zeitronix Eng.

Quick Reply: Newb Zeitronix Question