Notices
ECU Flash

What's the difference between these two cables for datalogging?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the difference between these two cables for datalogging?

What is the difference between these two?

For using EvoScan and ECUflash, will both cables fit the purpose?

1. http://www.tactrix.com/product_info....products_id=34

2. http://www.limitless.co.nz/cables/
Old Feb 4, 2007, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The Tactrix is an OpenPort 1.3M, the 2nd one there is 1.4E... I honestly don't know the difference, but the Tactrix has a Mitsu ECU flash plug in addition to the OBDII, so if you are gonna flash, you'll need the Tactrix.

Send a PM to Gruppe-S asking for their best price on OpenPort 1.3M for Evo, they took care of me (beat Tactrix price)
Old Feb 4, 2007, 06:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The 1.4E cable as far as I have been able to tell CANNOT reflash your ECU, but otherwise they both can log though..
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Is it odd that this tactrix cable that i've listed actually has a USB pin at the other end instead of serial? I thought I would need a serial to usb converter pin but this one doesnt even have serial.

Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The Tactrix cable (since i have two of them) uses its own built-in USB-Serial chip..

The reasoning the developer used was that This particular USB-Serial adapter is better able to accomodate unusual baud rates required for communicating with the ECU. Hence he chose to offer the cable with only the USB connection.

The tactrix cable also has special circuitry to allow triggering of a bootstrap/Reflash mode from software for reflashing the ECU, which no other cable currently supports.

Other cables are "Home brew" setups which are basically just isolating the ECU signal and translating it to RS232 signals.. (the Japanese and Euro ECU's, among many others use a protocol similar to regular serial communications and therefore makes it easy to work with)

The other cable from limitless may be available as either or neither, I know very little about it.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Inprogress
Is it odd that this tactrix cable that i've listed actually has a USB pin at the other end instead of serial? I thought I would need a serial to usb converter pin but this one doesnt even have serial.

Thanks for the help!

Based on the photos, both the cables you have listed have USB on one end, not serial. This is pretty common now that computers seldom include built in ports any more and USB->serial chip solutions are so common.

-jjf
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the difference between these two?
For using EvoScan and ECUflash, will both cables fit the purpose?
Yes, both cables are fit for the purpose of DataLogging they use the same components.

The same FTDI chip used by the EvoScan 1.4E Cable can successfully convert USB to Serial TTL levels required for the OBDII and MUTII standard, because Mitsubishi uses a complex array of baudrates, a standard PC serial port OBDII circuit won't be able to communicate properly. And USB is soo much better these days anyway, if it was to be a serial converter then everyone would just end up buying a USB converter as well.

A lot of Mitsubishi Vehicles aren't supported by EcuFlash therefore don't require the boot voltage of the tactrix cable. The EvoScan 1.4E Cable uses the same circuit board and components as the Tactrix Cable and is used for datalogging Mitsubishi vehicles, therefore is 100% compatable with the tactrix cable for datalogging. And I wanted to provide a cheaper alternative for my evo club mates. I have made them in bulk so I have been able to source the components as cheaply as possible.

I also have produced a number of high quality EvoScan 1.3M "100% compatable tactrix" reflashing cables, but they are only available for club members.

Last edited by evo4mad; Feb 4, 2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

I'll just order the Tactrix and save myself any added headaches as I know that one will work.

Thanks for the helP!
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:29 PM
Former Sponsor

the tactrix cable only works with Evo7/8/9 (other mitsubishi vehicles require wiring modifications for it to work)

whereas the EvoScan 1.4E cable is used by 100s of people on ALL 1996+ Mitsubishi's without modification to the vehicle wiring.

Since you have an Evo9, either will be fine for you.

Last edited by evo4mad; Feb 4, 2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Either will be fine for logging and flashing?
Old Feb 4, 2007, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor

EvoScan 1.4E = All Mitsubishi's Datalogging (no reflash support - but is 100% datalogger compatable with 1.3M cables)

EvoScan 1.3M = All Mitsubishi's Datalogging (& Reflashing for Evo7/8/9) (Not publicly available until EvoScan v0.98 release)

Tactrix 1.3M = Datalogging only for Evo7/8/9 & Reflashing only for Evo7/8/9 (supports datalogging for other mitsubishis with car wiring modification)

Last edited by evo4mad; Feb 4, 2007 at 02:22 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, I ordered this one by accident

http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php?products_id=36

Instead of this one

http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php?products_id=34

Would the first one work? What are the extra plugs for?
Old Feb 4, 2007, 08:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nj1266
OK, I ordered this one by accident

http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php?products_id=36

Instead of this one

http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php?products_id=34

Would the first one work? What are the extra plugs for?
the extra plugs are for Subaru vehicles. you can turn a Tactrix 1.3M into a Tactrix 1.3U with a few additional components.

Last edited by evo4mad; Feb 4, 2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 08:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
The tactrix cable also has special circuitry to allow triggering of a bootstrap/Reflash mode from software for reflashing the ECU, which no other cable currently supports.
The EvoScan 1.3M Cable ALSO supports special circuitry to allow triggering of a bootstrap/Reflash mode from software for reflashing the ECU.

Last edited by evo4mad; Feb 4, 2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evo4mad
the extra plugs are for Subaru vehicles. you can turn a Tactrix 1.3M into a Tactrix 1.3U with a few additional components.
OK...would the one I ordered work on the Mitsu or should I get on the phone and ask them to change the order?

Quick Reply: What's the difference between these two cables for datalogging?