Notices
ECU Flash

Need advice jester or custom dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
That's one way to gey yourself in trouble. Watch yourself man.
Its a peice of property. I bought it. I can sale it.

When I sell it, I am NOT copying it and keeping the original. I WILL GIVE them the file and DELETE it from my computer.

Like I said, I already took it off. I dont want it on my car. I have no use for it. It would be nice if I could recomp some money back.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 01:36 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would check with the forum moderators before you get yourself in trouble is what I meant.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:04 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
I have a jestr tune. I was not happy with it.

I logged it, Gtech dynoed it and ran it at the track. After, I desided to remove it and tune myself.

My friend also got a Jestr tune, and was less then happy with it.

I never posted a negitive review(s) because I didnt want to be told that I was "bashing" a tuner.

If you'd like me to go on and explain what I didnt like about the tunes, I will.

Also, If anyone would like to purchase my Jestr flash (for tuning knowledge & info) I will sell it for 20$.

I agree with TTP - while you may not like what you got for your $50 , I dont think its fair to sell it to others. Of course a lot of that would depend on the terms of your flash purchase from Jestr.

While I have found it kind of strange that people who would buy $30,000 cars would gravitate to the cheapest possible tune ($50 - almost the price of one tank of gas) , it does say something about the consumer base and this industry as a whole.

I will say this, it is impossible to create a library of decent base calibrations which have been actually tested and devloped in a wide range of geographic conditions and fuels and sell them for $50 and make money. When I started to do this business, I conducted hours and hours of dyno R & D and testing on so called "beta testers" to develop my concepts of flash tuning and test what I was offering before it was sold.

A base flash without extensive testing is useless. The map has to be tested on dozens of simailarly equiped cars to develop a good base map which is why for example I do not to this day have base maps for the IX cars with cams or with evo green turbos or for cars with alcohol injection - simply becuase I am still working on testing them - months later (and I tune evos every day - think about that).

For example when the IX came out I went out to Buschur and spend an entire week on the dyno working on just MIVEC tables and how the 6 ign maps of the IX interacted.

I have been to HI, AK 90 octane, Cali 91 octane and everywhere else to test the tunes and make sure they work so when I send them out I know they are safe and that they work.

I don't think that customers appreciate what goes into making a good base flash. The idea of someone whipping up something and making a few adjustments based upon knock counts is an approach which leaves a lot to be desired, IMHO.

Soon, I imagine some expert tuner with no R & D and no race car and no proven results will come out and offer a $9.99 e flash.

Who knows - maybe one day the tuners will pay the customers to try the maps. Its a stange market.

Al

Last edited by DynoFlash; Feb 10, 2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:11 PM
Account Disabled

When I sell it, I am NOT copying it and keeping the original. I WILL GIVE them the file and DELETE it from my computer.

Like I said, I already took it off. I dont want it on my car. I have no use for it. It would be nice if I could recomp some money back.
Interesting spin on things there - kind of like selling a used DVD - not copying it but just selling it.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I want to piggyback on a couple of things just said here. Two weeks ago I was at the track with 2 Evo 9 owners.

One of the Evo 9 owners decided to have the "bright and genious" idea of transfering his full custom fully modded Evo 9 software to his friend which had a brand spanking new Evo 9 with just a few hundred miles on it and no mods.

The transfer of data went cathastropically bad and the the owner of the new Evo 9 couldn't even start the car. The car had to be towed to the Mitsubishi dealer and couldn't be even be look at until Monday.

This Evo 9 owner came to me desperately asking for help, he knew Al was in town and wanted to know if Al had a reseting flash to just get his car to at least start.

Al was busy tuning some cars (my own car among them). The person that offer to pass the "free" tune to his "buddy" already got a mail-in flash from Dynoflash and once he used it for a few months he attempted to get his full refund back so that he could "move on" with a custom tune.

Botton line is that we have tuners that make a respectable way of living by doing a lot of research. If you go and share your custom maps then you are jeopardizing/compromising the tuners product. Think of a copyright.

We must support our tuners by not scaming their products, I think it is inmoral to do such things.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Feb 10, 2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

No way to prove you did delete it off your comp...are you going to go and zero out the location of the rom on your HDD? And even then it can still be recovered...basically unless you go and beat your HDD into a bunch of little pieces (and IBM will jump in here and say they put a bunch of bullets through an HDD and could still pull "deleted" files off of it) then the file is still there for all intents and purposes....waiting to be dug up and re-sold again. Not saying that you would do that but just pointing out something to you . If you are going to do this (as many on here do)...then at least do it quietly on the side.

Last edited by codgi; Feb 11, 2007 at 01:38 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
jestr all the way!!!!!!
Old Feb 12, 2007, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlution561
jestr all the way!!!!!!
This thread has really become a discussion about why...so simply saying you are pro-jestr doesn't really provide anything useful.

Is there any particular reason why you are pro-jestr?
Old Feb 12, 2007, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
This thread has really become a discussion about why...so simply saying you are pro-jestr doesn't really provide anything useful.

He should see the logs off of two jestr cars in my area. He might not be so pro jestr.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

double post
Old Feb 12, 2007, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
well, i don't have a laptop to log with, only a pocketlogger. granted, it doesn't appear with my jestr map that i'm pulling timing. with my dynoflash map, i was pulling timing at peak boost. also, i like the fact that jestr left my low octane maps very close to stock compared to dynoflash making the high/low maps close to the same. seems to be safe. wish i had a laptop to check knock sums and octane number though.