ECU Flash

Brief retardation knock 10 counts[pic]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brief retardation knock 10 counts[pic]

Can anyone explain this retardedness?

THis was a brief 100% TPS log showing 10 counts of knock but AFR's into the 10's.

I wouldn't mind so much, but this f'd my octane flag down to the 98's for quite some time afterward.
(no downpipe, no known metal-on-metal aftermarket parts. I only have an intake and test pipe)

Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

I think i need to tone down my accel enrichment damnit.
Damnit.
what is it for anyway.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seriously would recommend getting rid of your intake and going back to the stock. You have had several posts related to poor idle and now knock that could be from the intake screwing with the MAF.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
I seriously would recommend getting rid of your intake and going back to the stock. You have had several posts related to poor idle and now knock that could be from the intake screwing with the MAF.
It's not really poor idle. I just know it hits 10's occasionally.
As far as this knock is concerned, it's the first time i've seen 10's and i've had the intake on since November or October, I don't remember.

I'm not a big fan of simply removing stuff to try and solve problems. I'd rather work with it cause it helps me learn.

I'm wondering if this knock was caused by me driving in 3rd gear at a retardedly low rpm to get a longer sample for my logging.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:40 AM
Former Sponsor

wow that much knock just crusing...

i would listen to cij911.... take it off see if it fix's the problem.. if it does then you have an idea where the problem is to fix it. right now you're pissing in the wind. maybe its something else and you dont know it..

cheers!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In that small range where you are knocking, your airflow reading is getting pretty erratic.

It starts around 700, goes to 800, then drops to 600, climbs back to 792, then 767, climbs again to 823, then a brief drop to 817.

I don't think you touched any of these higher airflow numbers in your MAF scaling table, did you?

It really looks like something may be wrong with your air metering setup, whether it be your maf, intake pipe, etc. During that acceleration, your airflow should have been increasing constantly. On a side note, do you have anything spliced into any ECU wires, like a S-AFC or anything like that?

Maybe plot the RPM, TPS, and airflow against time to see what is happening better.

Eric
Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
In that small range where you are knocking, your airflow reading is getting pretty erratic.

It starts around 700, goes to 800, then drops to 600, climbs back to 792, then 767, climbs again to 823, then a brief drop to 817.

I don't think you touched any of these higher airflow numbers in your MAF scaling table, did you?

It really looks like something may be wrong with your air metering setup, whether it be your maf, intake pipe, etc. During that acceleration, your airflow should have been increasing constantly. On a side note, do you have anything spliced into any ECU wires, like a S-AFC or anything like that?

Maybe plot the RPM, TPS, and airflow against time to see what is happening better.

Eric

Very interesting observation.
I also do have my crankcase vented to atmosphere.
I'm not sure how much that'll affect my MAF scaling.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
It's not really poor idle. I just know it hits 10's occasionally.
As far as this knock is concerned, it's the first time i've seen 10's and i've had the intake on since November or October, I don't remember.

I'm not a big fan of simply removing stuff to try and solve problems. I'd rather work with it cause it helps me learn.

I'm wondering if this knock was caused by me driving in 3rd gear at a retardedly low rpm to get a longer sample for my logging.
I agree that parts swapping is not a great way of fixing problems, but as what pointed out, it appears something is awry with your MAF. I am fairly new to the EVO MAF setup, but know from prior experience that they can be tempermental. I believe if you put the stock intake back on, your MAF issue will be rectified and you will have a setup that is good for 400+ whp. Then you can read up on what could be going on with your intake to cause the knock. Bottom line, that is crazy high knock that should be addressed immediately (and yes, I think the stock intake will rectify your idle AFR issue as well). Good luck
Old Feb 8, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
I also do have my crankcase vented to atmosphere.
That will have a pretty big effect.

I thought this was the first thing I asked you way back when you were having problems with your trims.

Venting your crankcase allows unmetered air in while under vacuum, like idle and cruise. So, your ECU will have to add more fuel than it thinks, causing your trims to go very positive.

This is what I would do if I were you:

1. Rescale your maf back to stock. (You know how to scale it now, in case you have to do it again).
2. Hook up your breather hose to your intake pipe.
3. Let your car idle for at least 10 minutes and cruise for at least 10-15 minutes steadily.
4. Look at your trims again.

I would bet that it was your vented breather that was giving you all of your troubles to begin with.

Eric
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
That will have a pretty big effect.

I thought this was the first thing I asked you way back when you were having problems with your trims.

Venting your crankcase allows unmetered air in while under vacuum, like idle and cruise. So, your ECU will have to add more fuel than it thinks, causing your trims to go very positive.

This is what I would do if I were you:

1. Rescale your maf back to stock. (You know how to scale it now, in case you have to do it again).
2. Hook up your breather hose to your intake pipe.
3. Let your car idle for at least 10 minutes and cruise for at least 10-15 minutes steadily.
4. Look at your trims again.

I would bet that it was your vented breather that was giving you all of your troubles to begin with.
Eric
This is the first time I heard of this. I know many people on this board have made some home made catch cans.

I followed MalibuJack's How-To to make one for my car when I noticed that I had some buildup in my MAF pipe.

Is this reallly a problem?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kapolani
This is the first time I heard of this. I know many people on this board have made some home made catch cans.

I followed MalibuJack's How-To to make one for my car when I noticed that I had some buildup in my MAF pipe.

Is this reallly a problem?
If your catch can is properly designed and installed, there would be no issue because the lines don't VTA, rather they go back to the intake and manifold, just without oil .
Old Feb 9, 2007, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

I noticed that too, that if I get a count at mid throttle and continue pulling, the detonation goes out of control.
I usually have a widget to view knock count to avoid this for it's not particularily good for the engineto go WOT at 2700 RPM under knock. If I see the knock needle jump, I pull up the throttle before it goes into state that even timing pull cant put out

Question

Which of the below, if any, is real knock, Fig A, Fig B, or both?

Old Feb 9, 2007, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
I noticed that too, that if I get a count at mid throttle and continue pulling, the detonation goes out of control.
I usually have a widget to view knock count to avoid this for it's not particularily good for the engineto go WOT at 2700 RPM under knock. If I see the knock needle jump, I pull up the throttle before it goes into state that even timing pull cant put out

Question

Which of the below, if any, is real knock, Fig A, Fig B, or both?

What do you use as a "widget"?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Go to Guages at the top

Select Add New Guage
Choose the one you like

Right click and select knock count
Select Create new guage, close and move her to the corner of the screen

This is from memory so it might be different, but you will like it for sure!

I love the damn thing, just one knock count is noticable, any after 4 counts while WOT and I pull up and abort log before EGT starts rising.

I find it very useful now that my methanol failsafe system is mutating and currently deactivated
Old Feb 9, 2007, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Go to Guages at the top

Select Add New Guage
Choose the one you like

Right click and select knock count
Select Create new guage, close and move her to the corner of the screen

This is from memory so it might be different, but you will like it for sure!

I love the damn thing, just one knock count is noticable, any after 4 counts while WOT and I pull up and abort log before EGT starts rising.

I find it very useful now that my methanol failsafe system is mutating and currently deactivated
So you run a laptop in your car on every drive?

Quick Reply: Brief retardation knock 10 counts[pic]