Notices
ECU Flash

Flashing the 4G69

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2007, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan: Pm received

MalibuJack:i'll let you screw with my ECU if you think you can flash it. I live in coram (exit 63 off the LIE) PM me if your interested.

Last edited by ralliart329; Apr 6, 2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting my car next Friday and I'll give it a try too
Old Apr 6, 2007, 05:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
MUT-III is just the new tool, the MUT protocol is more or less the same unless your ECU is indeed CAN bus, but if it was you'd probably not be able to log with Mitsulogger or Evoscan.

I want to look at the wiring diagram because I suspect the pin that is connected may not be the init pin for the ECU but another function in the ECU.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 05:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ralliart329
Dan: Pm received

MalibuJack:i'll let you screw with my ECU if you think you can flash it. I live in coram (exit 63 off the LIE) PM me if your interested.

My machine got fouled when I tried to reply to your PM, but I'll PM you later to arrange a time in the next few weeks to meet up so I can at least try to retrieve the ECU's Rom.

Since this is a new generation ECU, it may just be that the bootloaders packaged with ECUFlash aren't compatible with the new processor, so I'll have to ask Colby about that one.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Apr 6, 2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack

I want to look at the wiring diagram because I suspect the pin that is connected may not be the init pin for the ECU but another function in the ECU.

I am of the same opinion. When I was messing with it I started the car and that's when I threw the aforementioned SES light. The car wasn't going to run, so I switched it off immediately. That's the second most scared I have been with this car, the first was when I was wiring my lighting and I fried the front ecu
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDan
JB, where in the NW are you located?

MJ, I know someone in Long Island who would most likely be interested in hooking up with you, I will shoot him a pm with a link to this thread.

On the WA coast. PM if you have a "subject" for me.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

I will keep an eye open, the only reason I was sure where ralliart329 is from is I have been talking back and forth with him recently. I am sure I can find someone though.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

I forgot to mention that my abs light flashes if I am not moving and the obdii cable is connected, I assumed this was normal, is it?
Old Apr 7, 2007, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

what pin is supposed to be grounded on the obdii cable? It looks like pin 9???
Old Apr 7, 2007, 04:22 PM
EvoM Guru

According to the docs I've looked at for the Evo (and applies to most other mitsus)

OBD-II Pinout

Pin 7 - K Line
Pin 1 and 9 - ETACS ECU (power?)
Pin 14 - Combination Meter (Instrument cluster)
Pin 4 and 5 - GROUND
Pin 16 - 12v+

The only pins used for logging and reflashing are

Pin 7, 16, 4 & 5

For reflashing, the other white nylon connector has pin26 filled with the ECU data init line. (its a corner pin on the earlier cars, this might have moved or may have more pins connected now on newer cars)
Old Apr 7, 2007, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

That connector has one pin, and it matches up when it's plugged in. so what am I looking for on pins 7, 16, 4 and 5? Do you know where they are supposed to go? Have you obtained any of the circuit diagrahms or are you waiting on me still?
Old Apr 7, 2007, 05:49 PM
EvoM Guru

I got a service manual for the ralliart, downloaded it from a generous evoM member so I can look at it when I have some time tomorrow night.

My new office is 3 hours each way from where I live now so I may not be on much for the next few days.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

thats way to long to drive into work! but anyway yeah just let me know when you've got some time b/c i'd love to see this finally happen. i dont know much about this stuff but its great that people who know are doing this.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 07:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Once my new office is set up, I won't have to go in every day so it won't be as bad. But back on topic..

I am thinking perhaps the init is getting far enough to get into the ECU, but the bootloader isn't really compatible with the ECU and throws an error.

We'll get it figured out, the same generation ECU's are for the most part similar if not identical between most of the Mitsubishis.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 09:02 AM

My tests so far, I can connect to the ECU via OpenPort 1.3M Although I can not read with ecuflash, I have a 06 Ralli Art MT, OBDII Protocol is ISO 9141. I also Have the factory service Manual, I can send to you, please tell me how, I can even upload to a website on zip so you can download a single file with all pdf, I also have the outlander with uses the same engine but not sure about if same ECU. THanks for your interest man ant help will be appreciated, by the way Mitsulogger is great!!!!

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Do you have any luck reading the ECU with ECUFlash? Or does it time out completely?

Do you have a factory service manual for the car that you can forward to me?

Quick Reply: Flashing the 4G69