Notices
ECU Flash

Evoscan knock detection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by D-VO
I've noticed that anything past 4 counts of knock the ecu pulls like 5 degrees of timing. I'm around 2-3 in a couple spaces. If you don't have any knock that means your not really pushing your car to the limits.
5 degrees of timing?? The rule of thumb that I've been using is one degree of timing lost for every 3 knock counts...
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:42 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we tune for 0 knock, sometimes we will have 1 count in 1-2 log rows

cb
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
I live in the same climate as Houston (Rio Grande Valley), you can tune your knock out. I'll tell you this, when my car was custom tuned it didnt knock and it had block timing (custom tuned in Houston). Later the car started knocking and I decided to go with a different tuner, while working with him I decided.. I can do this myself and then I did. My tune looks more conservative than both of the professional tuners tunes that I tried but when I look at the logs I know my non knocking tune is faster than theirs (LogSeconds and no knock). Now, just to be fair I didnt work with the second tuner long enough to allow him to get it perfect and the first tuner spent a grand total of 2hrs with my car where I've spent countless hours reviewing logs and making changes to my image for it to run with very little knock (occaisional 1's with equal amounts of totally knock free runs) and yes it knocks less than it does on the stock map.
Yea everyone tries to tune for 0, but you know how it is, you have the car set at a certain boost level tuned on a normal hot day and even though you have the ecu setup with the boost correction, when it gets cold outside, the boost gets a lil higher than normal, so at times you may see a few more counts. And of course its already been proven, that gas is not consistent at every gas station so there is no way that you can not get a few counts here in there every once in a while, unless you can tune and keep every variable consistent, which is not possible anywhere.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Anything 5 or less is fine PROVIDED its not 5's all the way through the rev band.
Mostly you'll see transition knock on a good tune and then almost nothing the rest of the way up.

Don't tune with knock. Check your AF/R's on your wideband(You have one of those right?) too.

As said before. 1 pull I'll see 1 count or 0 then the next I'll see 1-4 counts.

Weather seems play more of a factor with knock counts then I'd like to admit. Temps ranged from 10-50 degrees here on a given day this time of year.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Ok I need someone to really follow me closely on this....my evo scan looks like this...on the bottom it goes from 0.004 to 480.004....and on the left side going upwards it reads rom 0-30....when I put my mouse over the parts of the graphs where it peaks it says 1.576 but its also over the 20 mark on the left side of the graph, at some parts so does that mean 1 count of knock I know this sounds confusing so ill print a picture and post it but if anyone can comprehend what I'm saying then some help would be appreciated thanks
Old Mar 7, 2007, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What items are you selecting to graph? Could you be selectng knock instead of knock sum in your graph hence the 1.576? Overall I found that it is diffcult to get the exact view that I want in this program. I purchased Data Log Lab the other day so I can have a little more flexibilty (hopefully). If you only graph a few items you may have better luck. rpm and knock sum for example.

When I want to really analyze logs sometmes it's better to just view the excel file. Here's the method I use. Open the .csv fle with Excel. For easy viewing hide the columns you dont want to see, then highlight the TPS column and Ctrl-F , type value 100 in the find window. This wll take you to WOT and you can scroll through the pull. If your looking at part throttle obviously you will just want to scroll through the entire log file.

Items I normally dont 'hide' are log seconds, rpm, tps, timng advance, speed, wideband, knocksum, and loadcalc.

Sometimes if I'm looking at other things like IDC or loads vs temp I wouldnt hide some of the items.