Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorting out the details of realtime mapping

Discussion thread: http://www.aktivematrix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2090
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi

For those who don't have the benefit of posting at Akivematrix, some thoughts here might be an idea.

My inital thought would be to make the user front end look like ECUflash in its basic layout, giving the less gifted ( like me) an easier route into real time mapping. I'm talking about the way the map is altered and the view of the X and Y axis.

MB
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/vtune.html

Software like what is listed in the link above might not have the granularity but has proven effective on my wifes Audi Allroad.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldevodude
http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/vtune.html

Software like what is listed in the link above might not have the granularity but has proven effective on my wifes Audi Allroad.
that software is just way too basic.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
checked the aktive thread.... you guys are on a level of your own. I love you guys
Old Mar 21, 2007, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

I have just one remaining issue on the ECU's side of things which is how to reset which map we're using after (but only after) a reflash or power interruption to the ECU.

Otherwise it is running up to 8 switchable maps for fuel and timing, the high octane fuel and ignition #2 maps can be in RAM with a protcolol all running to map them live.

So initial config will be:

Map switch value
0 = usual maps in ROM
1 = hi oct fuel and hi oct ign in RAM (all 3 or 4 hi oct ign maps point to the same map, this is OK)
2-7 = unused, can be used for further 6 sets of maps to be stored in ROM, or further RAM configurations later

Will probably expand 1 to include VVT, boost desired engine load, max wastegate duty cycle (again all copies of the boost maps pointing to one map in RAM). Minor code rewrites are required to get these further maps to map switch as they are not in the standard set for switching like the fuel and ignition maps.

Just waiting for the updates to the loggers so I can test it properly and then migrate the code to the other ECUs.

Last edited by jcsbanks; Mar 21, 2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll hopefully have a logger to you for the weekend. I'm waiting on that stupid OBD-II port pigtail so I can run my ECU on a bench to test this stuff easier.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

So we have 8 sets of map switching and real time mapping real soon

What level of real time mapping support do you expect in this release? Just commands, display maps from RAM, or editing of maps in RAM?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:25 AM
EvoM Guru

In this release, just the basic FIFO window so you can send data and get replies dumped back. Next release will have at the least a read/display of a full map. And map switching in one step.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Mar 21, 2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just had a revelation - Your transforming our laptop into a realtime EMS using the factory ECU as the communication interface between the engine and our brain, and in some cases, brain stem
Old Mar 21, 2007, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
I just had a revelation - Your transforming our laptop into a realtime EMS using the factory ECU as the communication interface between the engine and our brain, and in some cases, brain stem
well tecnhically the ECU is the EMS, and the laptop is just an interface. The maps and everything are still interperted by the ECU and maps are still running in the ECU's ram. Its more like these guys are hacking the ECU to add all the functionality of full fledged standalone EMS.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 02:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Its funny how everyone forgets that the ecu **IS** a standalone EMS..

But yes, the more that is learned, the more features are unlocked, and if they don't already exist, they can be added.. Its pretty much more flexible than any "Standalone" you can get, because not only can you tune it, but its operating code can be modified to accomodate new and different features.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

It was always my dream to have a standalone that I could run "scripts" of some sort on - ie my own programmable logic to do new stuff, although some of the MoTeC stuff has so many configurable tables and inputs/outputs it comes close. Discovering unused features in the ECU and unlocking them, or writing new stuff is great fun, is a challenge, helps me learn new skills and keeps my brain active

Bez's disasm is a great foundation, Jack and Hamish's loggers rock, and of course ECUflash is a great foundation giving access to non-encrypted ROM images.

I feel my present map for my present spec is complete, but doing the realtime stuff is icing on the cake and will allow me to play with some mapping detail that I wouldn't otherwise bother with.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Yep if you look at it the ecu is a standalone. Just much more complex in some ways and more simple in others than aftermarket standalones.

I feel very lucky to be able to use these kinds of tools created and developed by Jack , Colby, Bez, JSC and helped along by many inputs from the users.

At the current rate...fully functional 3d mapping swap it on the fly without flashing is only a few time clicks away ( well maybe 3 months :-) )

Jack, Bez, Colby, John...if you guys ever get to Atlanta GA call me. Im taking you to dinner !!!!

Thanks a million

Milburn
Old Mar 27, 2007, 06:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Don't forget Hamish (Evo4Mad) he's been a huge contributor also..

All of us have directly participated in the discussions for standardizing the live tuning protocol. Not to mention the tools and motivation to constantly contribute new stuff to the community. John is the brains behind alot of the live tuning stuff, and Without Bez and his mods and disassembly we'd never figure out what the heck we have in front of us. Colby.. Well, he's the king, he figured out how to extract the rom from our ECU's (among many other cars) which was for years not thought to be possible using affordable technology.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Mar 27, 2007 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Sorting out the details of realtime mapping