Notices
ECU Flash

question about evoscan knock sum!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dan l
Some of my best passes in my 1g were with 30+ counts of knock. Motor looks fine after a teardown at 164K. In the evo I don't worry about anything under 5 counts. I won't even retune at 10 counts if the weather is off a little. With as many pulls as I've don with the knock sensor maxed out I expected cracked ringlands or something cool, but nothing. 4 counts ain't ****.
You sir are a breath of fresh air in this forum. SO many people, even otherwise informed ones, running around talking about how a KS of 8 is "knock." There are many factors that play into a KS other than knock sensor activity.

Tune for 0 if you want, but know that you leave a lot of power on the table on top of an extremely conservative knock setup in the first place.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mellon, you need to come to San Diego! AMS just cancelled there trip here and we need someone in the cith by the border.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Well since I do not have a wideban for now...is there anything else I should be paying attention to in evoscan...that can help me monitor engine safety? Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:01 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mdsevo06
Mellon, you need to come to San Diego! AMS just cancelled there trip here and we need someone in the cith by the border.
come to Memphis
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
If you are going to start 'tuning' yourself, I would highly recommend getting a wideband and making friends with Burgers and others on this site ...

I'd say that if you want to start regurgitating information read here and spewing it on this forum as facts by all means.....
Old Mar 20, 2007, 05:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
my stock IX knocks upto 4 sometimes on 98RON...

I think occasional low knock is nothing to worry about - perhaps its phantom knock..
Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is possible that the noise that causes low counts of knock might not be damaging to the engine, but the fact is, that if the ECU see's ( or hears really) conditions that cause the knock sum to hit 3 or above, the ECU will pull timing.

Those that say tuning so you get knock sums of more than 2 won't damage the engine, might be right, but the ECU will still pull timing and if knock sum is 6 or more decrement the octane number . How is that going to get you more power? Please explain? While your at it you could tell us how you work out what a safe level of knock is and what level will damage an Evo engine.

Quoting knock sums from other cars is not really very helpful with no explanation. Was the ECUs reaction to seeing knock the same as the Evo ECU? Was the way the ECU reacted to knock modified. Perhaps one of those who advocates running with higher values of knock would like to disable the knock control and see what effect this has.

MB

Last edited by burgers22; Mar 20, 2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

The one thing that you forget is that sometimes the car knocks when there is no real knock present, and the ECU will still pull timing. Sometimes it's hard to replicate this. Sometimes the fuel that you tune on is better or worse then the fuel that you get the next week, sometimes the air is worse, etc.

I think that you have a good grasp on tuning, but you try to play yourself up as a guru and you are not.

That is of course, just my opinion. I wouldn't have said anything because it's not really what I'm about, but you chose to attack me in another thread and try to discredit what I was saying because it went against the grain. Specifically this:

Originally Posted by burgers22
You might also want to read 4TUN8s comments about the restrictor between the T and BCS in this thread, post #9.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/showthr...88#post4074888

Now someone with 1900 posts should know better, maybe 1896 were about DVs.

MB
Personally, I think that you have a minor bolt on car that I could tune in my sleep, yet you post around here acting like you're Sean Ivey. I'm sorry if I've derailed this thread, but seriously dude stop, you know enough to make yourself dangerous and that's about it.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Knock sum experiences from the DSMs are most certainly pertinent since the evo ECU works in exactly the same fashion. Regardless, everybody is free to form their own opinions and tune accordingly.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dan l
Some of my best passes in my 1g were with 30+ counts of knock. Motor looks fine after a teardown at 164K. In the evo I don't worry about anything under 5 counts. I won't even retune at 10 counts if the weather is off a little. With as many pulls as I've don with the knock sensor maxed out I expected cracked ringlands or something cool, but nothing. 4 counts ain't ****.
i know exactly what you mean. MY log on 91 knock like a ****. but i made way more power than when it was with barely any knock. People fail to understand that the evo knock box is very sensitive.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:22 PM
Account Disabled

i'm drawing on my years of experience with the 3000/Stealth ECU here but ...

has anyone noticed a phenomenon where the stock ecu pull less timing per knock count at high rpm. I have to wonder if the ecu expects there to be more noise from the valvetrain at high rpm and gets less involved.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:24 PM
Account Disabled

you've also got to keep in mind that some people copy the high octane map to the low to keep the ecu from pulling as much timing when knock is encountered so going into "low octane" has little effect on performance. Personally I think this technique is a crutch to make up for a poor tune.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mellon
i'm drawing on my years of experience with the 3000/Stealth ECU here but ...

has anyone noticed a phenomenon where the stock ecu pull less timing per knock count at high rpm. I have to wonder if the ecu expects there to be more noise from the valvetrain at high rpm and gets less involved.
That is done on purpose and is a common to knock control algorithms.
As for setting the low and high octane maps the same, very few people will be able to give you the real reason for that, as it is really needed only in specific situations to deal with as yet undocumented behavior by the ecu.

Sean

Last edited by Sean@Iveytune; Mar 20, 2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:24 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune
That is done on purpsoe and is a common to knock control algorithms.
As for setting the low and high octane maps the same, very few people will be able to give you the real reason for that, as it is really needed only in specific situations to deal with as yet undocumented behavior by the ecu.

Sean
Very few tuners have such an advanced understanding of what is going on in the ecu

Good description sean
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by A418t81
Knock sum experiences from the DSMs are most certainly pertinent since the evo ECU works in exactly the same fashion. Regardless, everybody is free to form their own opinions and tune accordingly.
How do you know it works in the same fashon, is it even the same CPU? Is the code within the ROMs the same? Do they have the same pin outs? Could the answer to these questions be no? So how do they work in the same way? If you have information to support you ideas please do tell.

MB

Quick Reply: question about evoscan knock sum!