Notices
ECU Flash

question about evoscan knock sum!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Very few tuners have such an advanced understanding of what is going on in the ecu

Good description sean
i'd love to know the real reason for this as it's the reason i don't run a dynoflash map anymore, it just doesn't seem safe to do this and i can't get an explanation as to why. tuners that use this method just beat around the bush and won't explain it , so like many others, i assume it's to cover up a not-so-great tune.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are some cases where you absolutely HAVE TO do it.

No explanation necessary :-)

Sean
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

If I had to guess I would say where a car has ghost knock and wont advance??? I have no clue honestly, that was a wild wild guess.

In the few cars other then mine that I've tuned I havent seen it, but you guys tune 100s of cars a year atleast.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4TUN8
The one thing that you forget is that sometimes the car knocks when there is no real knock present, and the ECU will still pull timing. Sometimes it's hard to replicate this. Sometimes the fuel that you tune on is better or worse then the fuel that you get the next week, sometimes the air is worse, etc.
Yes I would agree with all the above.

I think that you have a good grasp on tuning, but you try to play yourself up as a guru and you are not.
Thanks, but I am no guru, you will notice there are many areas where I never comment, cams, turbos, ECB/MCB set up, etc. etc.

That is of course, just my opinion. I wouldn't have said anything because it's not really what I'm about, but you chose to attack me in another thread and try to discredit what I was saying because it went against the grain. Specifically this:

Personally, I think that you have a minor bolt on car that I could tune in my sleep, yet you post around here acting like you're Sean Ivey. I'm sorry if I've derailed this thread, but seriously dude stop, you know enough to make yourself dangerous and that's about it.
I made the comment because you insisted that you had a good deal of knowledge about tuning Evos, yet you were unaware of the Upper restrictor in the boost control system, which was odd given your strong views.

In the thread you refer, you said that it was OK to run an Evo at 10 deg advance at peak boost, because you had done it. The OP had a pretty stock car, but you neglected to mention you ran that timing on your car with cams, an big turbo and not on pump gas, not exactly apple to apples was it?

So you don't seem to like the fact that I have disagreed with you, yet when I posted in different thread in agreement and made an effort to be friendly, you just got sarcastic. So your in the knock is OK camp, fine, but if others don't share your view you get a bit testy.

Can you flatten my boost curve tonight? Sweet dreams.

MB
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

I've tuned non-cammed evos to see 10 degrees at peak boost without a trace of knock. I've said my piece though, so I'm done arguing about that statement.

About the boost restrictor, i said in THAT VERY post, that I was unsure. I had my BCS for about 3 days before i put a MBC in, that is why I didnt know, and I had recalled people buying used evo's that had MBC's previously that had been taken out to be traded in and people not seeing full boost because there was no restrictor pill in the line, this is why I was confused, and admittedly so.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by hondafan
i'd love to know the real reason for this as it's the reason i don't run a dynoflash map anymore, it just doesn't seem safe to do this and i can't get an explanation as to why. tuners that use this method just beat around the bush and won't explain it , so like many others, i assume it's to cover up a not-so-great tune.
On my personal car (so far the only one I have spent more than an hour logging) I set the maps the same because I had 0 knock and the logged numbers neither matched load calc, load calculated by the formula, or anywhere in any load axes in the specified rpm range. I altered my maps, it dissappeared, and I have as yet to understand why.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

if you scaled injectors it will screw the load calc up.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Stock injectors, but I had thought maybe somehow it snuck out of the factory with something other than 560's. It had the type 13 ROM so I couldnt look at scaling so I switched to a T15 and it was 513 like stock and is fine. The problem didnt go away until the maps were all the same in my car. I have tuned plenty that didnt do this, I for some reason have one that does.

On the same wavelength anyway...Sean said some cars just need it, end of story.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 04:30 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Very few tuners have such an advanced understanding of what is going on in the ecu

Good description sean
I just logged a friends car with your tune...what started out at 5 counts of knock quickly went to 10 by midrange and on to 15 knocks by redline.

sure enough the low and high octane maps were matching giving the ecu no way to correct the situation.

explain to me why you'd send out maps like that to a car you don't know anything about as the standard flash?

I just don't think it's a good idea to force the car to plow through with that much knock.

I could get away with matching maps on my OWN car because I'll make sure the map is perfect and I'll also monitor the engine.

Last edited by Mellon Racing; Mar 21, 2007 at 04:34 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon
sure enough the low and high octane maps were matching giving the ecu no way to correct the situation.
The ECU will still pull timing due to knock. Keeping the maps the same will just keep the decrementing octane number from pulling additional timing or changing AFR by using some of the low octane map.

Eric
Old Mar 21, 2007, 06:15 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
The ECU will still pull timing due to knock. Keeping the maps the same will just keep the decrementing octane number from pulling additional timing or changing AFR by using some of the low octane map.

Eric
right, I saw some timing being pulled but clearly it wasn't enough to keep the knock from rising exponentially.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I completely agree. I don't think the maps should be made the same, either.

I was merely commenting on the knock correction in regards to timing. It's roughly 1* of timing retard per 3 counts of knock.

Eric
Old Mar 21, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune
There are some cases where you absolutely HAVE TO do it.

No explanation necessary :-)

Sean
no disrespect to you sean, i was looking for al to give me an explanation. some cars you CUSTOM tune may need it done, or you know it has 0 knock so it's a little safer. but al did this to my maps on an email flash, so how does he know my car is one of the ones that you just HAVE to do it on? since he can't explain it to me, i use another tuner that will explain the reasons he does certain things to my maps.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 09:39 AM
Former Sponsor

A big part of the problem here is most people have no clue what the knock #s mean, is 15 high or low? Is it dangerous? What impact does it have on the engine long and short term.
Without this type of information, it is hard for some people who are only starting and are only tuning one simple combination to determine what it is they are shooting for, also some tuners have a different approach where they let the car run on the knock control.
Experience is a huge part of the tuning equation.

Ask yourself, "how much knock would it take to push a stock rod through the block?"

Sean

Last edited by Sean@Iveytune; Mar 21, 2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune
A big part of the problem here is most people have no clue what the knock #s mean, is 15 high or low? Is it dangerous? What impact does it have on the engine long and short term.
Without this type of information, it is hard for some people who are only starting and are only tuning one simple combination to determine what it is they are shooting for, also some tuners have a different approach where they let the car run on the knock control.
Experience is a huge part of the tuning equation.

Ask yourself, "how much knock would it take to push a stock rod through the block?"

Sean
Nevertheless, base on your assumptions, most people would think that it’s safer to keep your “knock #s” low (to zero); since there is some correlation between high knock #s and a blown engine….wouldn’t you say?

Quick Reply: question about evoscan knock sum!