Notices
ECU Flash

question about evoscan knock sum!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2007, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about evoscan knock sum!

My current mods are in sig...including the reflash but I added the licp after the reflash and I've been worried about running lean....I don't have a wideban yet and my exhaust looks a little white....I'm running 91 octaine gas.....so I ran evoscan and my highest knock sum count was 3.....jestr told me below 4 is good....but just becuase my knock is ok does this mean I'm not running lean? I don't know a whole bunch about tuning so whatever you guys can input I would appreciate it, thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2007, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cedricredrs
My current mods are in sig...including the reflash but I added the licp after the reflash and I've been worried about running lean....I don't have a wideban yet and my exhaust looks a little white....I'm running 91 octaine gas.....so I ran evoscan and my highest knock sum count was 3.....jestr told me below 4 is good....but just becuase my knock is ok does this mean I'm not running lean? I don't know a whole bunch about tuning so whatever you guys can input I would appreciate it, thanks!
< 3 counts is fine by most ....Get a wideband and then you can fine tune....You can also just send your logs to Jestr and he can adjust if needed...
Old Mar 19, 2007, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't like to see more than the odd count of 1. If you are getting 3 s across a wide RPM range then I would say that is a bad thing. Jestr would say that due to the type of "tune" he does.

MB
Old Mar 19, 2007, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burgers22
I don't like to see more than the odd count of 1. If you are getting 3 s across a wide RPM range then I would say that is a bad thing. Jestr would say that due to the type of "tune" he does.

MB
MB -- I am sure Jestr would not say that 3 across a wide range is OK. The person in question likely got a mail in base flash and can contact John for a tweak...
Old Mar 19, 2007, 06:23 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by burgers22

MB
Some of my best passes in my 1g were with 30+ counts of knock. Motor looks fine after a teardown at 164K. In the evo I don't worry about anything under 5 counts. I won't even retune at 10 counts if the weather is off a little. With as many pulls as I've don with the knock sensor maxed out I expected cracked ringlands or something cool, but nothing. 4 counts ain't ****.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dan l
. In the evo I don't worry about anything under 5 counts. I*.
Your absolutely right but his car is running 91 octane, and to be sitting nice and safe at 5 counts on 91 gas and then suddenly the WGA malfunctions on the interstate WOT in 4th and you need to pass a truck throughing rocks on your windshield. Before you have a chance to look at the boost guage you've already been boosting 27 psi for the past 3.5 seconds, even with secondary rich /low timing maps you might be crossing the line with 91
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dan l
Some of my best passes in my 1g were with 30+ counts of knock. Motor looks fine after a teardown at 164K. In the evo I don't worry about anything under 5 counts. I won't even retune at 10 counts if the weather is off a little. With as many pulls as I've don with the knock sensor maxed out I expected cracked ringlands or something cool, but nothing. 4 counts ain't ****.
Seeing as the ECU will be pulling timing at 3 counts and decrementing the octane number at 6 counts, you'll be loosing power in both cases. Why tune to let the motor knock and have the ECU pull timing for you?

You might get away with such a tune for drag racing, but any other auto sport or as a daily driver you'll be pushing you luck.

MB
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

How difficult is it to get a safe retune with 0 counts knock? Will it have to be running as rich as it comes stock... is this possible to get a tune which produces 0 knock and gain power at the same time?
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

It won't have to be much richer if at all. Most of the knock problems I have had were due to timing. The odd count of 1 is not what I'm on about, if your getting a couple of counts of 1 every other run or so, then thats not a big deal. Have a look around here and you will see plenty of evidence that a very low knock tune will give better power and drivability than a tune that knocks consistently.

MB
Old Mar 20, 2007, 01:00 AM
Evolving Member

Well....I had the car reflashed by harman motive....which he basicly put somone elses tune with the same mods on my car and charged me 200 bucks...which was put twoards the 500 dollar dyno tune thus I would only be paying 300 if I went back....and I did want to go back but after finding out he's blown up evo engines before...I changed my mind and ended up getting ripped off. Only thing is he reflashed it when I had the hks rs intake and now I have stock airbox with drop in....and I added the licp. I only hit 3 knock sum once out of several wot....I was just trying to make sure I'm safe right now untill I finish my car with the o2 housing...injectors....then tune it for dual maps race gas and pump....I'm still trying to figure out the easiest way to run dual maps...but I'm assuming it will be easiest with a laptop and just reflashing...adding appropriate fuel and turning boost up and down. Anywho any further comments are appreciated.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cedricredrs
Well....I had the car reflashed by harman motive....which he basicly put somone elses tune with the same mods on my car and charged me 200 bucks...which was put twoards the 500 dollar dyno tune thus I would only be paying 300 if I went back....and I did want to go back but after finding out he's blown up evo engines before...I changed my mind and ended up getting ripped off. Only thing is he reflashed it when I had the hks rs intake and now I have stock airbox with drop in....and I added the licp. I only hit 3 knock sum once out of several wot....I was just trying to make sure I'm safe right now untill I finish my car with the o2 housing...injectors....then tune it for dual maps race gas and pump....I'm still trying to figure out the easiest way to run dual maps...but I'm assuming it will be easiest with a laptop and just reflashing...adding appropriate fuel and turning boost up and down. Anywho any further comments are appreciated.
If you are going to start 'tuning' yourself, I would highly recommend getting a wideband and making friends with Burgers and others on this site ...
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:25 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 80210
How difficult is it to get a safe retune with 0 counts knock? Will it have to be running as rich as it comes stock... is this possible to get a tune which produces 0 knock and gain power at the same time?

it's not hard, I tuned one this past weekend that was running the stock pig rich tune, I leaned it out a bit and pulled some timing and made 40+ tq and 25 + hp over stock ... we hotlapped it with 4th gear pulls from 3k to 8k back to back 4 times and still didn't have any knock.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

0-3 counts of knock is acceptable on any octane gas.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cij911
If you are going to start 'tuning' yourself, I would highly recommend getting a wideband and making friends with Burgers and others on this site ...
I do want to start tuning my own car but I don't even know where to begin in ecuflash.....I mean I'm computer savvy that's that's why I was able to get evoscan set up and loging and stuff...I saved the man I was reflashed on but I don't know how to get in and tweek it....on top of that I wouldn't know what to be tweaking in there....so I have a lot to learn....I need to pick up the zt2 first though.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

i dont understand what all the fuss is about with the knock counter. The damn stock map knocks with occasional 3s or more. MY Jestr flash knocks less then stock, and makes me much more power with smoother delivery.

Bust out the High Octane Ignition Map 2, and just take out a degree in the appropriate load/rpm cells, or if you've got the wideband on there, you can add a little fuel to see if it gets rid of the knock.

Quick Reply: question about evoscan knock sum!