Notices
ECU Flash

EGT too high, reading 2,200 F

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGT too high, reading 2,200 F

I have just installed 272 intake and exhaust cams on my 2001 JDM EVO VII

My EGT has goon through the roof, also the afr was lean, i then realized my fuel pressure regulator was not connected. This has been fixed. Yet the EGT is still way too high.

I also connected a after market fuel pressure regulator after the stock one and the afr has gone back to normal, but the EGT is still too high.

I have Evoscan and would like to use these reading to compare to my Zeitronix EGT temps, but the reading from Evoscan for temps seem not to fluctuate. Is there a way to fix that? I would hate to order a new sensor and that is not the problem.

Please provide some assistance!!

I have attached some logs.

Make: Mitsubishi
Model: Lancer Evolution VII
Registration Number: PL006

Engine/Performance Modification
Cams - GSC Exhaust 272 duration 10.2
Cams - GSC Intake 272 duration 10.8
AEM Perfromance Air intake System
Front Mount Intercooler - Greddy Trust
Aluminum Intercooler Pipes
Header Manifold
O2 Housing - O Tomei EVO Expreme
Down Pipe 3’- O Tomei
Test pipe 3" - Mc Millan
Full Exhaust 3'- Greddy Trust
Catback Exhaust - GReddy Titanium Exhaust
Boost Controller - Greedy Profec B-Spec II
Re-flashed ECU 20.5 psi
Fuel Pump 550cc - Walbro
Blow off Valve Greedy Type S
Oil Catch Can
Spark Plugs - HKS

Turbo Timer - Greedy Full Auto Timer
Boost Gauge - Auto Meter
Boost Controller - Greedy Profec B-Spec II
Wide Band AFM/Data Logger
Evoscan Ecu Flash Datalog lab
Attached Files
File Type: zip
evolog.zip (86.7 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by roberttonge; Mar 27, 2007 at 08:13 PM. Reason: remove space
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah waaaay to high. Aluminum(head) can start to warp/melt at 1600F
Old Mar 28, 2007, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

something wrong with your sensor .. when you're cruising .. you should be seeing about 4-500degrees C .. yours just show 200 degree C until you got WOT .. then the temp increase exponentially .. The other log looks funny too in your cruise temp just keeps climbing at constant TPS and rpm .. mine will stabilize once rpms and load stabilise

Where is your sensor placed ?? at the collector before the turbo is the highest EGT registered .. if it's after the turbo .. typically you can see about more than 100C lower
Old Mar 28, 2007, 04:10 AM

EGT Sensor

My EGT sensor is located on the header manifold.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Are you sure the cams are degreed correctly? Ive heard that unburnt fuel in the exhaust will then burn causing incorrect egt temperatures. how is the driveability of the car? any weird changes, flat spots in accel, or crazy turbo spool?
Old Mar 28, 2007, 08:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Its highly likely the sensor isn't reading properly..

However, there is the possibility that you installed the cam angle sensor 180 degrees out of phase, that will confuse the ECU, i suppose its possible to get ignition happening at the wrong time, but since its a wasted spark system the car would still run. That could explain it, though I have never experienced what your describing before.

EGR Temps in the ECU are basically useless, its actually some modified value of the coolant temp used for the EGR Bypass functionality (cold start function basically) So it won't in any way look like an exhaust temp like EGT. (this is just a tip if your confused why the values aren't what you'd expect)
Old Mar 28, 2007, 08:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
BTW, Lots of things melt at 2200 degrees, not only that your exhaust manifold would begin to glow.. So I highly doubt its the actual temp. There are some materials (aluminum for example) that will begin melt at around 1600 degrees, you would quickly notice things going horribly wrong if that was the case.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I just had an egt senser fail on me. It was reading very high. Would peg 1200C with just half a pull through the powerband. I had just installed a ceramic coated manifold and thought that was causing higher egt. Installed new sensor and now egt isn't higher than 850C.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I just had an egt senser fail on me. It was reading very high. Would peg 1200C with just half a pull through the powerband. I had just installed a ceramic coated manifold and thought that was causing higher egt. Installed new sensor and now egt isn't higher than 850C.
Same here, had a EGT sensor fail on the track yesterday.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

the exhaust stream is a brutal place for a egt thermocouple to be in - RT to 900C temperature swings, carbon rich atmosphere, all these will cause the sheath of the t/c to form brittle carbide - very prone to failure

replace them often
Old Mar 28, 2007, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

"Where is your sensor placed ?? at the collector before the turbo is the highest EGT registered .. if it's after the turbo .. typically you can see about more than 100C lower"..... is this true??? i've seen another post where they talked about egt placement after the turbo is insignificant....sorry off-topic...
Old Mar 28, 2007, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Treat heat as energy .. in the turbo, this energy is converted to mechanical energy (spinning the turbo) .. when there's a conversion in energy .. something is lost (ie heat is extracted to do work) .. that's why post turbo EGTs are lower and not accurate reflection of the actual EGT ..

Read this for basics of Law of Thermodynamics

Last edited by gunzo; Mar 28, 2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I moved the probe from the number 2 runner to the collector. Temps went up 200C. I immediately moved the sensor back to the runner. The collector area gets too hot. Its the first part of the manifold to glow red. After the turbo can be used. Its generally believd to be 200c less there than on a runner before the turbo. Sensors would last longer after the turbo.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Sensors would last longer after the turbo.
... and when it breaks, it didn't break the turbo !
Old Mar 29, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Its highly likely the sensor isn't reading properly..

However, there is the possibility that you installed the cam angle sensor 180 degrees out of phase, that will confuse the ECU, i suppose its possible to get ignition happening at the wrong time, but since its a wasted spark system the car would still run. That could explain it, though I have never experienced what your describing before.

EGR Temps in the ECU are basically useless, its actually some modified value of the coolant temp used for the EGR Bypass functionality (cold start function basically) So it won't in any way look like an exhaust temp like EGT. (this is just a tip if your confused why the values aren't what you'd expect)
The head would actually be fine because even though the exhaust gasses are that hot the heat gets absorbed through the pistons (oil colled), sleeves (water cooled) and the head (water cooled) but as that SS exhaust valves opens into the pressurized gasses it would would melt @ 1800 degrees, only metal used in automotive applications for valves that can take 1800-2500* is Inconel

Quick Reply: EGT too high, reading 2,200 F