Notices
ECU Flash

Evo IX 2-byte Load & Lean Spool for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2008, 05:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Jumperalex
I understand that the general reason to turn off lean spool is to get more consistent and thus tunable AFRs. I also noticed that a lot of people also like the less spiky boost response during spool up.

But what I've been wondering is why not adjust lean spool RPM such that it only happens where we aren't quiet worried about AFR yet and where boost tends to struggle the most to build. I am thinking allow lean spool up to about 3500 rpm. That way you get the faster spool in cases where you might not want to downshift but then after 3500 spool-up isn't too fsat to overshoot and AFRs aren't impacted.

Thoughts?
You can do that by tuning the fuel map itself, unless I am not completely understanding you.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure you are understanding me I guess I would respond with the question that don't I still want to tune the fuel table for more general driving. Then allow lean spool to kick in to lean things out further for better spool. I mean that IS the original intent and if it works it would seem worth it to keep it where we don't mind the ecu mucking about with the AFR ... under 3500 rpm.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 07:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Jumperalex
I'm sure you are understanding me I guess I would respond with the question that don't I still want to tune the fuel table for more general driving. Then allow lean spool to kick in to lean things out further for better spool. I mean that IS the original intent and if it works it would seem worth it to keep it where we don't mind the ecu mucking about with the AFR ... under 3500 rpm.
If by general driving you mean cruise, idle, etc then you don't have to touch the maps, just make sure the injectors are scaled well and it will always strive for stoic.

If you mean little blips and small accel moments then the fuel map is pretty close anyway if you have your injectors scaled right (if you have aftermarket injectors)

I think it comes down to two things. Personal preference (I like having full control of my fueling) and if you can understand the full lean spool tables enough to get the control you are talking about. I played around with lean spool on/off points way back when, not too in depth, but I remember there being a not so smooth transition in IPW when the lean spool "shut off". You can see this at 6900-7000 rpm with the lean spool in the stock setting. The IPW jumps a ton at that RPM range.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I meant during mid throttle open loop vs. WOT. Stock injectors here so no worries about scaling, but I'm coming around to needing a pump. Bugs me since I got away without one in my talon with a rewire

hmmm funny you mention IPW jump. I have only just recently seen that. This isn't my first time logging this car but maybe I just never noticed [shrug]. But that probably explains what I've been seeing. Come to think of it ... I don't think I really logged IPW much if at all so THAT would explain not seeing it. iirc I always had bda luck with OPW in earlier versions of Evoscan [shrug]. Anyway ...

So you played around with it already then ... hmmm... ok sounds like I will just take in the accepted wisdom and spend my time on other things. I can always go back to it afte rI've dialed other things in. But man I hate accepted wisdom hehe
Old Aug 6, 2008, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going to have to try this with evoscan 2.4

Last edited by red evo8; Aug 6, 2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Bringing back an older thread.

Has anybody found the correct tables for 94170015? I tried the code below and it seems incorrect on several of the tables.

Originally Posted by Pd1

Here are the lean spool tables for the Evo 8 94170008:

------------
<table name="Lean Spool Start RPM" category="Misc" address="1680" type="1D" level="1" scaling="RPMStatLimit"/>

<table name="Lean Spool Stop RPM" category="Misc" address="1684" type="1D" level="1" scaling="RPMStatLimit"/>

<table name="Lean Spool Load Threshold" category="Misc" address="39A2" type="2D" level="1" scaling="Load8">
<table name="input value" address="63DA" type="X Axis" elements="14" scaling="RPM"/>
</table>

<table name="Lean Spool Trailing Time (Rich Side)" category="Misc" address="397A" type="2D" level="1" scaling="uint8">
<table name="input value" address="63DA" type="X Axis" elements="14" scaling="RPM"/>
</table>

<table name="Lean Spool Trailing Time (Lean Side)" category="Misc" address="398E" type="2D" level="1" scaling="uint8">
</table>

<table name="Min Temp for Lean Spool" category="Misc" address="167E" type="1D" level="1" scaling="Temp"/>

<table name="Lean Spool Enable Load Hysteresis" category="Misc" address="167C" type="1D" level="1" scaling="Load16"/>

<table name="Lean Spool AFR Mapping" category="Misc" address="39B6" type="2D" level="1" scaling="AFR">
<table name="base AFR" address="6400" type="X Axis" elements="7" scaling="AFR16"/>
</table>

<table name="Lean Spool AFR below Enable" category="Misc" address="1682" type="1D" level="1" scaling="AFR16"/>

<table name="Lean Spool Clip Value" category="Misc" address="1686" type="1D" level="1" scaling="AFR16"/>
------------

You'll also need to add this line to the "evo7base.xml" file:

------------
<scaling name="AFR16" units="AFR" toexpr="14.7*128/x" frexpr="14.7*128/x" format="%.1f" min="8" max="20" inc="0.1" storagetype="uint16" endian="little"/>
Old Mar 13, 2009, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, havent been in this thread in a long time and another thread brought me back in here. Now I'm confused as ever. These quotes are from page 6.

This is the way that was first defined to disable Lean Spool, most people have changed both the 224 and 80 to 48 as per page 1 of this thread. Also could someone clarify how 80 and 224 = 2500 and 7000?

Originally Posted by nj1266
I did add the sacling as per Pd1's instructions. I selected "uint8" from the scaling drop down menu.

Are you saying that the defined tables should read in rpm rather than 224 and 80 if I change something else?
Then I see this post by mrfred saying we can view it in rpm scaling, sounds good to me. Also KevinD mentioned that having the same values for start / stop causes a sputtering issue. I've had a little misfire issue for a long time that I can't figure out so I was very interested in what he had to say.

Originally Posted by mrfred
ok. That is one scaling that can be used, but its not the one the will display the data in RPM. Try adding these entries to your 88590015.xml file:

<table name="Lean Spool Start RPM" category="Misc" address="1680" type="1D" level="1" scaling="RPMStatLimit"/>

<table name="Lean Spool Stop RPM" category="Misc" address="1684" type="1D" level="1" scaling="RPMStatLimit"/>

Restart ECUFlash after you add the entries.
However, I opened a stock 88590015 rom (Actually a Tephra-Mod rom) and with the scaling above the values are Start RPM 3250 and Stop RPM 1250 which doesnt seem right at all as they are supposed to be 2500 and 7000. Running ECU Flash version 1.30.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Mar 13, 2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
Ok, havent been in this thread in a long time and another thread brought me back in here. Now I'm confused as ever. These quotes are from page 6.

This is the way that was first defined to disable Lean Spool, most people have changed both the 224 and 80 to 48 as per page 1 of this thread. Also could someone clarify how 80 and 224 = 2500 and 7000?

Then I see this post by mrfred saying we can view it in rpm scaling, sounds good to me. Also KevinD mentioned that having the same values for start / stop causes a sputtering issue. I've had a little misfire issue for a long time that I can't figure out so I was very interested in what he had to say.

However, I opened a stock 88590015 rom (Actually a Tephra-Mod rom) and with the scaling above the values are Start RPM 3250 and Stop RPM 1250 which doesnt seem right at all as they are supposed to be 2500 and 7000. Running ECU Flash version 1.30.
The big/little endian setting may be messed up. I recommend upgrading to the latest version of ECUFlash that has many updated and new tables for the Evo 9. The only thing that you'll want to copy over from your old xml file are the tephra ROM definitions and any definitions that you added for any of my patches. Here is a link that talks about how you can do the update:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ml#post6476121

Also, lean spool can now be disabled using periphery bits. This is the better way to do it as it avoids any possible wierdness caused by making the lean spool start/stop rpms the same.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
isn't there a periphery that you could set to 0 to disable lean spool? Its FBA bit 0 if im not mistaken. I think its much easier and quicker to do it this way.
Old May 20, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is 96530006:
Code:
    <!--  *** FUEL LEAN SPOOL ***  -->

<table name="Lean Spool Start RPM" address="1680"/>

<table name="Lean Spool Stop RPM" address="1684"/>

<table name="Lean Spool Load Threshold" address="39A2">
        <table name="input value" address="684A"/>
    </table>

<table name="Lean Spool Trailing Time (Rich Side)" address="397A">
    </table>

<table name="Lean Spool Trailing Time (Lean Side)" address="398E">
    </table>

<table name="Min Temp for Lean Spool" address="167e"/>

<table name="Lean Spool Enable Load Hysteresis" address="167c"/>

<table name="Lean Spool AFR Mapping" address="39B6">
        <table name="base AFR" address="6870"/>
    </table>

<table name="Lean Spool AFR below Enable" address="1682"/>

<table name="Lean Spool Clip Value" address="1686"/>
The latest EcuFlash definition has everything except the trailing times, AFR mapping, and load threshold tables.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Will this also work with the newer versions of Evoscan and ECUFlash?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 05:09 PM
Account Disabled

Newer versions already have it.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

So what steps need to be taken to make it work? Does anything have to be flashed to the ECU or it's just ready to go? I have V2.6 Beta16 if it makes a difference.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:10 PM
Account Disabled

Has nothing to do with Evoscan, just ecuflash
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

But isn't the issue logging the 2 byte load? And Ecuflash isn't a logger. Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm completely new at this and it's a lot of **** to try and take in at once lol.

Quick Reply: Evo IX 2-byte Load & Lean Spool for Dummies