Notices
ECU Flash

My timing map suck?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My timing map suck?

This is my map that a got from a tune last year, I'm not a tuner but I think it can be improve by alot. Some pointers would be apreaciate, specially where to start........ that block of 7s is not safe I think specially on 91 octane.

Last edited by supersnow; Dec 19, 2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Looks a little aggressive during spool up for 91 octane.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Do you have any logs with your AFR?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

I have logs where I get 3 counts of knock from peak torque to 5000rpm, I don't have a wideband yet
Old Apr 18, 2007, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

3 counts is not bad at all. You could try decreasing hte timing in the areas where you are currently getting knock and then slowly raise you timing until you get knock, then back it down to the previous knock free timing value.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

what about past 6500 rpm? 15?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by supersnow
what about past 6500 rpm? 15?
Use map tracer and address your mid range torque. Once you arent getting knock there increase the timing in the upper ranges by 1* until you get knock.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TeStUdO
Use map tracer and address your mid range torque. Once you arent getting knock there increase the timing in the upper ranges by 1* until you get knock.
Are you refering to the higher load cells?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lapulapu
Are you refering to the higher load cells?
Yeah, sorry I wasnt as clear. I just figured that was a given.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yuck!

MB
Old Apr 18, 2007, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your timing maps don't look very good at all, especially for 91 octane. Can you post some datalogs? I would be interested in seeing them. I suggest buying a Wideband and seeing what your AFR's are.

Timing in the peak torque range looks about 2-3* too advanced, mid range looks to be OK, then peak power(upper RPM) looks to be overadvanced again. If you are not getting knock, i bet your AFR's are super rich.

There is a small possibility that your engine might be wanting this much timing advance, but on 91 octane, i highly doubt it. It is a fact that all engines and set-ups are different and will call for different timing. But, i suspect the tuner is throwing a lot of fuel at it to drown out the detonation.

I'm not saying this is deffinatly the case, but i know some tuners think that more timing is good, even if they have to drown out the detonation with more fuel. Fact is, this is not true. You stand to make more power with correct ignition timing and leaner AFR's(11.0-11.5:1). I have personally fixed many tunes from tuners that thought it was better to have AFR's in the low 10:1 range with ignition timing over advanced by many degs. Needless to say, the engine made more power, safer with ignition timing in the conservative range and AFR's @11.0:1. Also, AFR's in the low 11:1 range is very safe.

Please don't confuse what i'm saying by thinking "leaner AFR's make a lot more power", this isn't the case. Once you get to a certain point in the safe range, power will not be increased much by going any leaner. You actually won't make but a few extra WHP if you keep leaning AFR's out. This is not a healthy trade off for power. Leaner AFR's than 11.5:1 are getting close to unsafe, and the few extra WHP's you make are not worth it.

Case in point: Get AFR's in the 11.0-11.5:1 range, and retune ignition timing within 1-2 degs of peak output.

One more thing, a fact about ignitoin timing and knock. If you are doing a street tune, you must realize this; if you advance ignition timing until you hit knock, then retard ignitoin timing until it's no longer there, you may still be in a dangerous area. Peak power is usually 1-2 degs before the knock threshold is hit. Now remember, for safety, you want to be at least 1 deg below that. So, this is why we recommend using a dyno for tuning ignitoin timing. Because without it, you cant see where peak output is. Peak output is not always just before detonation(knock). Like i said, sometimes it can be 1 deg or so before that.

Some food for thought.

CJ
Old Apr 18, 2007, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by iTune
Your timing maps don't look very good at all, especially for 91 octane. Can you post some datalogs? I would be interested in seeing them. I suggest buying a Wideband and seeing what your AFR's are.

Timing in the peak torque range looks about 2-3* too advanced, mid range looks to be OK, then peak power(upper RPM) looks to be overadvanced again. If you are not getting knock, i bet your AFR's are super rich.

There is a small possibility that your engine might be wanting this much timing advance, but on 91 octane, i highly doubt it. It is a fact that all engines and set-ups are different and will call for different timing. But, i suspect the tuner is throwing a lot of fuel at it to drown out the detonation.

I'm not saying this is deffinatly the case, but i know some tuners think that more timing is good, even if they have to drown out the detonation with more fuel. Fact is, this is not true. You stand to make more power with correct ignition timing and leaner AFR's(11.0-11.5:1). I have personally fixed many tunes from tuners that thought it was better to have AFR's in the low 10:1 range with ignition timing over advanced by many degs. Needless to say, the engine made more power, safer with ignition timing in the conservative range and AFR's @11.0:1. Also, AFR's in the low 11:1 range is very safe.

Please don't confuse what i'm saying by thinking "leaner AFR's make a lot more power", this isn't the case. Once you get to a certain point in the safe range, power will not be increased much by going any leaner. You actually won't make but a few extra WHP if you keep leaning AFR's out. This is not a healthy trade off for power. Leaner AFR's than 11.5:1 are getting close to unsafe, and the few extra WHP's you make are not worth it.

Case in point: Get AFR's in the 11.0-11.5:1 range, and retune ignition timing within 1-2 degs of peak output.

One more thing, a fact about ignitoin timing and knock. If you are doing a street tune, you must realize this; if you advance ignition timing until you hit knock, then retard ignitoin timing until it's no longer there, you may still be in a dangerous area. Peak power is usually 1-2 degs before the knock threshold is hit. Now remember, for safety, you want to be at least 1 deg below that. So, this is why we recommend using a dyno for tuning ignitoin timing. Because without it, you cant see where peak output is. Peak output is not always just before detonation(knock). Like i said, sometimes it can be 1 deg or so before that.

Some food for thought.

CJ
Thanks alot for your input, I totally agree with you....all the reading point to what you are saying, dumping fuel with advance timing is a nono. Anyways I wil get a wideband soon, this tune was provide by "big" you know who, I don't how how rich other buschur stage 1 car are running but I'm pretty sure I'm in the very rich side. Something that I have doubts is; most people recommending timing around 13-15* in the upper rpms (6500-8000), but you said mine is high at 10-11*, could you elaborate more; and by the way I used outlaw octane booster which during independent test it was proven to raise the octane rating from 91 to 92.4 on a 15 gallon tank, also NOS is pretty similar, and finally I was running 23.5 psi which is high(trying to compensate for 4500 feet altitude), I will datalog my new timing table at 22 psi on 4 gear and see how it comes out.
Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by supersnow
This is my map that a got from a tune last year, I'm not a tuner but I think it can be improve by alot. Some pointers would be apreaciate, specially where to start........ that block of 7s is not safe I think specially on 91 octane.
JDM MR RS map .. though if you look at the timing .. you'd probably not be able to run this map without any form of octane booster ..

Have fun with the reference !
Attached Thumbnails My timing map suck?-ignition-map2.jpg  

Last edited by gunzo; Apr 18, 2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gunzo
JDM MR RS map .. though if you look at the timing .. you'd probably not be able to run this map without any form of octane booster ..

Have fun with the reference !
Thanks but that map is too much over the edge, I don't think even with 93 octane it would work.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:06 PM
fid
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by iTune
But, i suspect the tuner is throwing a lot of fuel at it to drown out the detonation. CJ
I agree with some of what you are saying except for this. No matter how much fuel you throw at a over-advanced ignition event it will not will off detonation. The uncontrolled explosion is going to happen whether or not there is a minimal or maximum amount of fuel present. The flame front would have exploded out of control whether it was 9:1 or 12:1. I am not trying to be a smarta@$ or anything I just hate to see misinformation get out there and circulate. The reason you see tunes as such from some tuners, IMHO, is from the unexperienced and the uneducated tuning cars because the last one they tuned that way hasn't broke yet .

I really think if people want to tune there cars to make good power and be safe they really need to invest in the tools and time. You really need a wideband and get to a dyno to 1) Be in a safe enviroment where you don't have to worry about traffic people, etc. 2) You can watch things like peak torque to see how the car really is taking to ignition advance and compare it to any datalogging you are doing. And this is at a minimum. Personally, I rarely tune my cars without also a EGT probe and a pair of Det cans to backup what the knock sensor is telling me. I know this is no relevance to the post so sorry to the original poster for taking up a spot .

Quick Reply: My timing map suck?