Yeah, he's a good guy

Thanks brotha!

CJ
Old May 17, 2007, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planet Evo
Can I ask a stupid question??
Why on gods green earth are you doing full pulls in 4rth, 5th and 6th from 2000 RPM?!
Being that at NO TIME whatsoever will you ever see this range of rpm on the street, strip or anywhere unless you shift at 2000 in every gear. If you plan on smashing the gas I would hope that you would downshift to a healthy rpm first.
i just read this recently... alot of guys like to do high gear fairly low rpm pulls.

trying to give the motor every chance to knock and then obviously contering it, if it doesnt knock for the 25 seconds or so in your long pull it will never knock

you may have already known that but it was new to me and quite simple theory too! i do understand what your are talking about with the 2k pull lugging the motor and all.
Old May 17, 2007, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

at the moment I am running the jdm rs mivec map that was used in a jester etune. I was running a more agro mivec map for a while, but recently rolled it back. the biggest thing to effect it is ignition advance, the less advance I run the more it does it. I think it may be from the lower spool as a result of the timing. once again the increased load at low rpms may be triggering marginal plugs to missfire. I plan on reverting to near stock maps and recheck. if its still there I will get new plugs as soon as I can
Old May 18, 2007, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let us know if you find something with one of the plugs related to problem,
Old May 18, 2007, 05:44 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by andenbre
i think this shows the weakness of using a calculated load instead of a map based load like jdm. this also shows the significant effect of tps to the internal load calculation

[/IMG]

All ecu's have to calculate a number so as to know how much fuel to mix with the air. We call it load. In a speed density a similliar number is calculated. Load is an incorrect value term coined mostly by this board when I fought to call it by its correct name grams/rev. 150% "load" is really 1.5 grams/rev in the ecu. Its how we do it on 1 and 2g dsm's and it hasn't changed on evo's. The only thing that has changed is the interface hardware. When we say something like 1.5 grams/rev what we are saying is that 1.5 grams of oxygen molecules are entering the motor every revolution of the crankshaft. When you know how much oxygen is entering the motor you now can feed the correct amount of fuel to achieve a desired air/fuel ratio. Mass airflow or speed density it doesen't matter you must know how many oxygen molecules are entering the motor to know how much fuel to enter. So to answer your question it isn't a problem with mitsubishi.

Looks like you are having tip out misfires. These are usually fairly simple to solve and nearly never the fault of the engine management. Usually I see it when guys crank down too hard on their BOV's and they get flutter when getting out of boost. Other times it has to do with how the bov recirculates disturbing airflow through the air sensor. Your load looks fairly stead but your timing is kinda jumpy when this happens. The load might be fluttering slightly but I just can't see it but its showing up when the ecu does timing correction. Either that or your timing map down low is wacky and needs smoothed out. Also what are your fuel trims. The ecu should be in closed loop when this happens but your going lean, that should not be happening. Did you correctly scale your injectors? Did you alter your maf compensation table? Is your intake stock or modified?
Old May 18, 2007, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ST
FYI - the NGK's are racing plugs and expensive as hell ($30/plug)....your best bet is Denso's (IKH24's - 1 heat range colder)....the main diff between 8 and 9 lugs are the length...due to the mivec heads, the ix plugs are longer, thus evo vii plugs will not fit in there...been there, done that.

in terms of the op issue, can you please post your mivec maps...improper settings (i.e. too aggressive ramp) can cause this hesitation in cam transition...if its modified change back to stock and try it out.
I tune is right ...i just bought these from Rock Auto NGK Iridium IX BPR8EIX(NGK part#6684) for about what he quoted. I personally dont consider 1 heat range cooler as " racing plugs" . More like detonation resistant

$30 each ..yeah ...maybe from the dealership...not on my dime though

Seriously, they did cure the very infrequent misfire i had, and the plugs I took out had 15K...copper 7's

Milburn
Old May 18, 2007, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

My intake is 100% stock, bov=stock, I have a tbe w/cat del and ebay o2 housing. the log that I posted was from a jester eflash that had fuel mods to smooth out the afr 3k on. this symtom came on a couple weeks ago on a map that I had also smoothed out timing a bit and got rid of some knock. just after I started feeling confident enough to start playing around with a little less timing down low to make it spool a little quicker, this started happening and was signifigantly more perceptable at mid 10-14 psi and 60-80% throttle 2-3k rpm that I would hit at times in traffic. I pulled the plugs and they looked good with a whitish orange hue to the electrode and the porcelain looked pretty clean with no signs of carbon tracking. I can reproduce it best at full throttle 2200 held to 2800 in 4th or 5th then let off a little. I feel it could be plugs and I have ordered a set.
I will be sure to let ya know if it cures my issue.
once again I appreciate everybody's input.
Old May 19, 2007, 03:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My intake is 100% stock, bov=stock, I have a tbe w/cat del and ebay o2 housing. the log that I posted was from a jester eflash that had fuel mods to smooth out the afr 3k on. this symtom came on a couple weeks ago on a map that I had also smoothed out timing a bit and got rid of some knock. just after I started feeling confident enough to start playing around with a little less timing down low to make it spool a little quicker, this started happening and was signifigantly more perceptable at mid 10-14 psi and 60-80% throttle 2-3k rpm that I would hit at times in traffic. I pulled the plugs and they looked good with a whitish orange hue to the electrode and the porcelain looked pretty clean with no signs of carbon tracking. I can reproduce it best at full throttle 2200 held to 2800 in 4th or 5th then let off a little. I feel it could be plugs and I have ordered a set.
I thought what you were describing was caused by going from full TPS (boost) to partial and the car dropping boost (going from boost to vacuum)...Although plugs are a cheap test, I don't think that is what is causing your problem.

Ping John on AIM and see if he can look at your logs and make a few changes to your MAP...
Old May 19, 2007, 08:54 AM
Account Disabled

I can reproduce it best at full throttle 2200 held to 2800 in 4th or 5th then let off a little. I feel it could be plugs and I have ordered a set.

It sounds like its trying to compressor surge. Does the problem become more evident when the weather started changing?

Also double check that mitsu didn't put your BOV in backwards.

EDIT:

Also what are your fuel trims. Remember Evoscan is wrong so give me the L, M, and high fuel trims knowing this. Did you change fuel recently? Does it contain more ethanol (sunoco is 10% ethanol or E10).

Last edited by dan l; May 19, 2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old May 22, 2007, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dan l
It sounds like its trying to compressor surge. Does the problem become more evident when the weather started changing?

Also double check that mitsu didn't put your BOV in backwards.

EDIT:

Also what are your fuel trims. Remember Evoscan is wrong so give me the L, M, and high fuel trims knowing this. Did you change fuel recently? Does it contain more ethanol (sunoco is 10% ethanol or E10).
the surge is what I was concerned about. all our fuel here is 10% ethanol and this problem just started so that and the bov is not it. thanks for the ideas but I found the problem today. its the jdm map sensor. I flash my most problematic rom into the car and confirmed the symptom. same thing missfire when letting off the throttle durring spool up with afrs geting very lean for approx 1 second before settling down. still with stock plugs installed, I removed the jdm map sensor and edited the effected maps back to stock. other than reverting the code back to stock that was changed per the instructions for the sensor nothing else was changed. test drive and the symptom is gone. completely. I suggest that any body that is running the jdm map on their IX to watch it closely for these symptoms in these conditions and to run it for tuning only and not as a permanent install until this can be sorted out.
Old May 22, 2007, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Also I Have Not Seen This On The 6 Speed But It Is Possible, The Transmission Will Get A Slight Rattle Or Knock From The Output Shaft And What Will Happen Is It Will Go Into Fail Safe Mode. There Is A Tsb On It It Is Very Common On The 03 5 Spd But We Have Never Seen It Here At The Dealership On The 6 Spd. You Will Get No Trans Codes But Only A Missfire Code And Some Cutting Out. Also It Will Only Happen Between A Set Temp. Let Me Look More In This Because It Has Been 3 Months Since I Saw All The Specs. But The Freeze Data Frame Matches All The Criteria Of Thsi Tsb. I Will Post Up More On This In A Few Minutes.
Old May 26, 2007, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

Did u have the SES light come on when this happened? P0300?

Temporary Solution:while u r driving and it happens, after that whenever u get a chance and no other cars are around u, shift into nuteral and shut the car for a second or 2. restart it and it wont happen for the rest of the day

atleast thats how it works on mine

If u find a better/permanent solution, please DO TELL!
Old May 27, 2007, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Itune, you always on point, but any plug that works on a VIII will NOT work on a IX.

Last edited by Evo_Jay; May 27, 2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old May 27, 2007, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wrcwannabe
I tune is right ...i just bought these from Rock Auto NGK Iridium IX BPR8EIX(NGK part#6684) for about what he quoted. I personally dont consider 1 heat range cooler as " racing plugs" . More like detonation resistant

$30 each ..yeah ...maybe from the dealership...not on my dime though

Seriously, they did cure the very infrequent misfire i had, and the plugs I took out had 15K...copper 7's

Milburn
Copper plug only last 3-5K miles. Thats why there soo cheap.