Notices
ECU Flash

Custom made pills

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2007, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nj1266
The best way to remove the pill on the solenoid side w/o damaging the hose is to use your teeth. Bite the hose gently several times so you can get the pill to move towards your mouth. Be careful not to swollow the pill I have done it that way many times and it works. That is why God gave us teeth, chewing is secondary
Man that is what I am scared of trying. Once when I was younger I swallowed a nickel. Luckily I puked it up right away lol.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
1. Juyanith
2. oldevodude
3. evo ippo
4. pd1 wants #59
5. xk120
6. andebre
7. Roger Smith
8. dudical26
9. Nuked
10. JKav

Added one more person to the list. Please e-mail me At ndahi@charter.net with your name, evom name, address, method of payment and pill size that you want. The top 4 guys (sans Pd1) get first dibs on the # 65.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

I checked out the shipping option and the cost of the pill will be $10 shipped to your door.

Each pill will have a shipping tag identifying its size. The pill and tag will be shipped in a padded envelope.

Old Jun 7, 2007, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mchuang
That is because the smaller pill changes the base boost at the wastegate right.

Yes essentially you are right. The smaller turbo pill reduces the amount of air being passed into the control system. That air( signal ) is used to open the Wastegate actuator. more air = opens faster so a smaller turbo pill means less actuation and more boost.

The signal is regulated by the boost control solenoid whose job it is to allow the wastegate to open or keep it closed. The BCS does this by venting the air from the turbo being passed on by the turbo pill. It vents it back into the turbo inlet as this is metered air. More air venting reduces the air signal to the wastegate actuator thus allowing it to stay closed more More BCS air venting = higher WGDC Less BCS air venting increases the air signal to the WGA and makes it open faster or sooner. Less BCS air venting = lower WGDC The BCS pill restricts the amount of air being vented, thus preventing overboost. Removing the BCs pill allows the BCS to vent more air, reducing the signal to the WGA = more boost.

So use a smaller turbo pill say 59 and a stock BCS pill. You will want to set your peak boost by first zeroing out the error correction table and then lowering the #2 WGDC table from 100 starting at 2500 to 40 copying that all the way up to 7000. Log your car from 2000 to 7000 in 3rd gear using EvoScan or Logworks or Mitsulogger noting the calculated load. Also have a friend watch the boost. You want the boost to be in the 19-20 psi range peak on 91 octane, and not more than 22-23 peak on 93 octane. Lower the WGDC to decrease boost and increase WGDC to increase boost. Make absolutely sure to log knocksum.

Once the peak boost is set, you can reduce the boost taper by increasing the WGDC above 5000 to 7000. Do it in increments of 10 until you cant see much taper.

At this point you are ready to start tuning the timing and AFR. This is best done with a WB and calculated load. For 22-23 psi load should be in the 240-250 region. You want to give the car the timing for that boost that it is happy with. This is generally not more than 3-4 degrees at peak torque and peak load, so between 3200 and 4500 and 220 -250 load you want 3-4 degrees. Log knocksum, if it is knocking at 4 counts at 220 load at 3200, take 1-2 degree out on the high octane timing map at that point.

Then go on to the fuel tables and log AFR using your WB. Tune for AFR @ WOT in the 11.2 -11.5 range using 93 octane from 2500 up to redline. You will have to re-visit the timing tables to get everything good. Remember that leaning the car out in essence increases the timing so be ready to take out some. If you only have loweroctane fuel, take out some timing before you start leaning the car out. On 91 it may be necessary to go 11.0 -11.2 AFR.

Some people tune much leaner around 11.8-12.2 but reduce timing to stop knock and they ensure a good supply of cool air. Water injection helps.

All this takes time and many pulls. The reward is a car that is happy knock free and pulls hard.

Milburn

Last edited by wrcwannabe; Jun 7, 2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

^^I am there with you on the tuning part, but I was not to sure on the boost pill part and you sir have provided a great explanation. Thank You.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wrcwannabe
So use a smaller turbo pill say 59 and a stock BCS pill. You will want to set your peak boost by first zeroing out the error correction table and then lowering the #2 WGDC table from 100 starting at 2500 to 40 copying that all the way up to 7000.
After you set your boost, do you re-insert the stock values in the error correction table or do you leave it @ zero?

Another question: Do you set the BDEL+BCLO to the same exact logged number that you get from the 2byte load? Or do you set the BDEL+BCLO a bit higher than the load number that the car is hitting. For example, if your 2 byte load is 230 @ 3500 rpm and your BCLO is set to 100, would you set your BDEL to 130 or would you make it a bit higher @ 140?

Last edited by nj1266; Jun 7, 2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Update list

1. Juyanith #65 and #60
2. oldevodude #65 and #59 (paid)
3. evo ippo
4. pd1 #59
5. xk120
6. andebre #65 or #63
7. Roger Smith #65 or #63
8. dudical26
9. Nuked
10. JKav #63

Last edited by nj1266; Jun 8, 2007 at 07:57 AM.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked out the shipping option and the cost of the pill will be $10 shipped to your door.

Each pill will have a shipping tag identifying its size. The pill and tag will be shipped in a padded envelope.
Can us local guys pick it up?
Old Jun 8, 2007, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lapulapu
Can us local guys pick it up?
Yes you can, but shipping will be cheaper than driving from Corona to Long Beach to pick up the pill. It is up to you though. Just make sure you e-mail me at ndahi@charter.net with name, evom name, the pill that you want, and method of payment.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Hey NJ, i am interested in the 65 pill. I have couple questions, I am running the Xede and I am already running a pill that Shiv installs next to the boost solenoid. Now can I run the vishnu boost pill with yours or do I have to take out the Vishnu one? I remember you used to mess with the Xede, what would your suggestion be?
Old Jun 8, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Cool

After you set your boost, do you re-insert the stock values in the error correction table or do you leave it @ zero?

Another question: Do you set the BDEL+BCLO to the same exact logged number that you get from the 2byte load? Or do you set the BDEL+BCLO a bit higher than the load number that the car is hitting. For example, if your 2 byte load is 230 @ 3500 rpm and your BCLO is set to 100, would you set your BDEL to 130 or would you make it a bit higher @ 140?
Naji: im sorry i do not want to jack your thread. To all the other readers here, i simply meant to answer a question and got carried away.

The info is meant to help those who desire to use the very nice pills Naji had made. Cant believe he used his teeth to get the little rascal out tho LOL

You will want to place stock values back into the error correction table. The ecu is using that to adjust the boost according to the load desired. So IMHO this is one of the ways that it corrects for altitude differences and temperature differences.

Yes I think the BDEL+BCLO should equal the load. The 2-byte load is only a close estimate, but a good one, albeit slightly lower than the real load the ECU must use. So I set mine at BCLO to 100 and BDEL to 130-140 plus 10. So slightly higher to compensate. Note that puts you into the 240-260 range on load. On VIII's thats close to maxing out. On IX you go to 300 stock so well within the data range. Please note this is on 93 octane on the east coast. And that.. going to higher load columns reduces timing and increases fuel. When the boost is dialed in you know what load cells on the fuel and timing maps to look at.

Im not an expert but will help with the basics if people pm me.

Buy Naji's pills, and start another thread about tuning with pills and load. I'll contribute what I can.

Milburn
Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think you were threadjacking wrcwannabe, and your info was definitely useful. When people get to the actual tuning they'll probably want to start another thread but getting the basics in place is not a bad idea.

Oh and to add to the info you gave, I'd just zero out the positive correction values from the TBEC table. That way if you've guessed completely wrong, the ECU can still reduce WGDC on overboost. I found that on my car at least, the ECU was consistently trying to add +10% to the WGDC until I did that. After I get boost set, I'll try slowly adding them back in.

Last edited by juyanith; Jun 8, 2007 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old Jun 8, 2007, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by juyanith
I don't think you were threadjacking wrcwannabe, and your info was definitely useful. When people get to the actual tuning they'll probably want to start another thread but getting the basics in place is not a bad idea.

Oh and to add to the info you gave, I'd just zero out the positive correction values from the TBEC table. That way if you've guessed completely wrong, the ECU can still reduce WGDC on overboost. I found that on my car at least, the ECU was consistently trying to add +10% to the WGDC until I did that. After I get boost set, I'll try slowly adding them back in.
Excellent point. Zero the positive ones

Another is to make sure all the boost line connections are tight, very tight

Naji: can you relist the sizes along with your BCS/WGA setup for late comers?

milburn
Old Jun 8, 2007, 01:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Zeroing the positive ones can also make lower gears boost less, giving you a MBC effect.

I find it much much easier to tune boost with Error correction on and at stock levels instead of zeroing it out while tuning WGDC. YMMV.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Updated list

1. Juyanith #65 and #60
2. oldevodude #65 and #59 (paid) (shipping Monday)
3. evo ippo #65 and #59
4. pd1 #59
5. xk120
6. andebre #65 or #63
7. Roger Smith #63 (paid (shipping Monday)
8. dudical26
9. Nuked
10. JKav #63
11. Evo23IG #63

Quick Reply: Custom made pills