Notices
ECU Flash

calc HP/TQ from EvoScan using Excel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2009, 02:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by nonschlont
only prob is its not reading accurately for me, as much as I would love to have this kinda powa...
edit: I didnt do any of these recommendations.

I suspect that you did the EvoScan log in 2nd gear.

Originally Posted by rolly1818
mrfred.... so all i log is RPM and i should be fine?

i have been using evoscan for 2 years and i cannot remember if there is something to log time lol....

what are the exact parameters to measure in Evoscan?

Thanks
All that's needed is the standard rpm. Rearrange the logging parameters so that RPM is the first or second item logged. And log only the minimum number of items. Don't log such things as battery, fuel trims, baro, and other things that don't really matter for WOT tuning.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I suspect that you did the EvoScan log in 2nd gear.
I have loaded up 4 different 3rd gear pulls, and 3 of them have shown me in the 600's

Im still logging tps/rpm/load/boost/boost error/afr/knock/timing/WGDCC/gear. Is this too many data items to log?

Edit: I just used another log from this morning, and now Im only @ 330hp/410tq. :P Definitely a 3rd gear pull! I think its still a bit off for me though...

Last edited by nonschlont; Apr 25, 2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool stuff, thanks MrFred!!
Now I just need to get rid of that compressor surge.

PD: If my calculations are correct, 5 speed users should change their 3rd gear rpm/mph to 87.27 and 4th gear to 66.26; asuming MrFred used his 6-speed to enter the data in the charts. The difference is not that big anyways.
Attached Thumbnails calc HP/TQ from EvoScan using Excel-dyno.gif   calc HP/TQ from EvoScan using Excel-data.gif  
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by nonschlont
I have loaded up 4 different 3rd gear pulls, and 3 of them have shown me in the 600's

Im still logging tps/rpm/load/boost/boost error/afr/knock/timing/WGDCC/gear. Is this too many data items to log?

Edit: I just used another log from this morning, and now Im only @ 330hp/410tq. :P Definitely a 3rd gear pull! I think its still a bit off for me though...
You were on flat ground with no wind (or minimal wind), correct? Post one of the logs.

Originally Posted by Nurburgring
Cool stuff, thanks MrFred!!
Now I just need to get rid of that compressor surge.

PD: If my calculations are correct, 5 speed users should change their 3rd gear rpm/mph to 87.27 and 4th gear to 66.26; asuming MrFred used his 6-speed to enter the data in the charts. The difference is not that big anyways.
Yeah, the HP/TQ calculator is pretty handy for tuning E85 where there isn't much knock. I always use the exact same piece of road for my runs. Yes, the gear ratios very close for 3rd and 4th gear for 2006 5 speed and 6 speed trannys. I think a bit of adjustment may be needed for MY03-05 5 speeds. I'll edit the first post to add an Excel file that includes the gear ratios for most Evos.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=mrfred;6986036]You were on flat ground with no wind (or minimal wind), correct? Post one of the logs.

heres an old pull. (3rd gear) All my pulls are done in the same place, nice flat surface, w/ minimal wind. I just had a 30* weather change, so my pull from today, was less than desireable.
and heres how it looks for me.
Attached Thumbnails calc HP/TQ from EvoScan using Excel-power-graph1.png  
Attached Files
File Type: zip
EvoScanDataLog_3rd_2180.zip (5.0 KB, 0 views)
Old Apr 25, 2009, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I forgot to mention that I changed my rpm/mph multiplier to 84.65 for 3rd gear which was the value I got on a few online calculators (here is one) using a final gear of 4.529, a 3rd gear of 1.407 and a tire diameter of 25.3" since thats the ACTUAL tire diameter of the Yokohama advans that come factory on my car.

EDIT: I realized my vehicle weight was off too so my new figures are this:

RPM/MPH value= 84.65
Dyno Correction for Buschur MD Dyno= .990
Dyno Correction for Turbotrix Dynojet Dyno= 1.164

I always log my car while strapped on a dyno so at least I know my "road and load conditions" were the same lol.

I think some people forget that they need to only paste in the section of the actual 3rd or 4th gear pull from the second they mash the gas, til the very instant they let off. If I log anything else it will severely throw off my numbers sometimes. I also know the exact weight of my car with me in it which is 3300lbs, on average depending on how full my tank is...mine is nowhere NEAR 3500lbs you have as the default, so its important that the guys hit up anywhere they can to get a good base vehicle weight.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Apr 25, 2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 09:14 PM
EvoM Guru

[QUOTE=nonschlont;6986354]
You were on flat ground with no wind (or minimal wind), correct? Post one of the logs.

heres an old pull. (3rd gear) All my pulls are done in the same place, nice flat surface, w/ minimal wind. I just had a 30* weather change, so my pull from today, was less than desireable.
and heres how it looks for me.
I got reasonable numbers from your log. See pic below. I posted the Excel file too. You'll get a better result too if you log fewer items. I always am for at least 70 lines of data at 100% TPS for a run from 2200 rpm to 7200 rpm. There's no need to calc IPW, but I guess that's being used for the EvoScan HP/TQ calc?

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades

I think some people forget that they need to only paste in the section of the actual 3rd or 4th gear pull from the second they mash the gas, til the very instant they let off. If I log anything else it will severely throw off my numbers sometimes. I also know the exact weight of my car with me in it which is 3300lbs, on average depending on how full my tank is...mine is nowhere NEAR 3500lbs you have as the default, so its important that the guys hit up anywhere they can to get a good base vehicle weight.
3500 lbs with you in it? That's pretty good. Mine always comes in at about 3450 lbs with me in it when I go to the scale at the local dump.

Attached Thumbnails calc HP/TQ from EvoScan using Excel-nonschlont.gif  
Attached Files
nonschlont.xls.zip (71.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by mrfred; Apr 25, 2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Question, I'm trying to get your graph to resemble the DLL chart cuz I like the layout but I can't seem to get the vertical grid lines to show up on the x-axis for RPM no matter what I do! Anyone know how I can adjust it and make it ACTUALLY have the grid appear??

Attached Thumbnails calc HP/TQ from EvoScan using Excel-bill_vs_jamie.jpg  
Old Apr 26, 2009, 03:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Go to the "Chart" pulldown menu, select "Chart Options...", then select "x-axis Major Gridlines".
Old Apr 26, 2009, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

I forgot to mention that I use OpenOffice not Microsoft. I selected the Major grid lines for the x-axis but they only appear on the edge of the graph, not through it. If I highlight the graph, then select "format" on the dropdown list at the top I can select "GRID" but it only has the Y-axis MAJOR GRID highlighted, all other minor and major grids are greyed out so i cant choose them. Its not necessary, I just hate not being able to modify somethng the way I want it to work lol.

NVM: I had to select the "INSERT" dropdown and select "GRIDS" to shoose which axis' i wanted to intersect. Thanks anyways.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Apr 26, 2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old May 13, 2009, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

If anyone is interested, I modified this excel file so you can load 2 logs and do A/B comparisons. I also added SAE corrections and a dyno correction factor. A dyno correction factor of 1.02=Buschurs Mustang Dyno, 1.200= Turbotrix Dynojet Dyno.

Its set only for 3rd gear pulls with 5 speeds but I can get the rpm/mph value for any other gear and for the 6 speeds too if you guys need it. I also have the graphing resemble DLL's graph since i like the layout.
Attached Files
Dyno Comparison Graph.zip (54.2 KB, 0 views)
Old May 13, 2009, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
If anyone is interested, I modified this excel file so you can load 2 logs and do A/B comparisons. I also added SAE corrections and a dyno correction factor. A dyno correction factor of 1.02=Buschurs Mustang Dyno, 1.200= Turbotrix Dynojet Dyno.

Its set only for 3rd gear pulls with 5 speeds but I can get the rpm/mph value for any other gear and for the 6 speeds too if you guys need it. I also have the graphing resemble DLL's graph since i like the layout.
Hey Jamie,

If you could do the changes to allow for 6 speed box's & include both 3rd & 4th gear that would be really awesome & very much appreciated mate. At the moment I'm using this spread sheet to show the different changes my tuner is doing for me & with the A to B comparison it will highlight each tweak that's done. This will be an asset to see the base tune vs final tune....fantastic work. I road log in 3rd & get dynoed in 4th.

Have I read this correctly, your power & torque numbers with Mr Fred's chart match your MD & DJ power/torque figures? Or does your evoscan data correspond equally for your road logs to your evoscan data dyno runs/logs? If Mr Fred's power/torque graphs are equal to dyno figures this would save quite a few people having to book in for expensive dyno power runs.

Since you have the ability to compare DLL to this excel program using your evoscan data, is there a big difference between the two power/torque readings?

Thanks very much.

Cheers Steve
Old May 13, 2009, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steveevo9
Hey Jamie,

If you could do the changes to allow for 6 speed box's & include both 3rd & 4th gear that would be really awesome & very much appreciated mate. At the moment I'm using this spread sheet to show the different changes my tuner is doing for me & with the A to B comparison it will highlight each tweak that's done. This will be an asset to see the base tune vs final tune....fantastic work. I road log in 3rd & get dynoed in 4th.

Have I read this correctly, your power & torque numbers with Mr Fred's chart match your MD & DJ power/torque figures? Or does your evoscan data correspond equally for your road logs to your evoscan data dyno runs/logs? If Mr Fred's power/torque graphs are equal to dyno figures this would save quite a few people having to book in for expensive dyno power runs.

Since you have the ability to compare DLL to this excel program using your evoscan data, is there a big difference between the two power/torque readings?

Thanks very much.

Cheers Steve
Jamie: very cool excell file! Thank You for sharing!

I just tested this one out... Seems to be quite accurate compared to my data logs from evoscan power wise, w/ corrections factor @ 1.200 Also is very close to the dynojet I was on out here. I also checked the output @ 1.02 correction factor, and that seems to be right around where it should be. (I havent been on a mustang dyno) I did notice that the graph is showing peak TQ @ 4000, rather than 3500 in my log though.
Attached Thumbnails calc HP/TQ from EvoScan using Excel-power-graph.png  

Last edited by nonschlont; May 14, 2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had intended to use DLL to calc HP/TQ from my EvoScan logs, but after getting nowhere with the definition file to read my EvoScan logs, I decided to create my own Excel spreadsheet to calc HP/TQ. It uses the same principle as DLL to calc HP/TQ from rpm and time. I've got it setup to calc HP/TQ from either 3rd gear or 4th gear runs. If you're any good with Excel and all you want is HP/TQ, this will work for you.
Hi Mr Fred,

Firstly thank you for all the work you have done to make such a great product (openecu) even better. Between yourself, JCBanks, Dave(Tephra), Jamie(JoT), Razorlab to name just a handful, you have given us an option to ecutek & other tuning software that is rather expensive & lacks the flexibility of ecuflash.

I have just started to use your excel power/torque graph & it's a fantastic tool. I downloaded the DLL trial software but couldn't get it to work for me, I also nearly purchased it & was going to bumble my way along until I could master it. Well that changed when I found this thread, thank you very much from the bottom of my heart.

I have a slight problem though, my 3rd gear pulls read higher than a 4th gear pull I recently did. Generally all my road logs are done in 3rd, however; I did this 4th gear run to compare to see if my tune produced identical outputs in both 3rd & 4th gear, like a dyno does. Any feedback will be appreciated, thank you.

Cheers Steve
Old May 14, 2009, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice tool!!! Thanks a lot for this!! Can't someone have a lookup for the max calulated HP and TQ columns with their referenced RPM on the chart so It will plot the max TQ and HP? I personally am not the greatest at Excel but I wouldnt think that would be a very difficult feat. Thanks again guys!!
Attached Thumbnails calc HP/TQ from EvoScan using Excel-dyno-plot.png  

Last edited by SEEnoEVO; May 14, 2009 at 05:21 AM.

Quick Reply: calc HP/TQ from EvoScan using Excel