Notices
ECU Flash

Apexi drop-in filter?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
So this filter does not create dangerous lean conditions like an after market intake would do?

Last edited by BluEVOIX; Jun 28, 2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gbpkr21
Search for 1995-1999 Eclipse GSX filter...it will fit on an Evo.

Here you go http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ECLIP...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks!!!
Old Jun 28, 2007, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Razorlab,

Would it be feasible to use the plate from the Ebay filter with the Apexi to eliminate the need for the adapter and allowing it to connect directly to the MAF? Then again, I get the sense if you could have done it you probably would have.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 09:28 PM
UCB
Evolved Member

whats the point in that? Or do you mean just use the heat shield from the apexi ?
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
So this filter does not create dangerous lean conditions like an after market intake would do?
According to my testing this filter makes you run richer across the power band. You will have to re-tune your car to run back to the way it was before you installed the filter. Razrolab and I got the same results, both car ran richer when the filter was installed and the car was logged untuned.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Exciting News
Razorlab,

Would it be feasible to use the plate from the Ebay filter with the Apexi to eliminate the need for the adapter and allowing it to connect directly to the MAF? Then again, I get the sense if you could have done it you probably would have.
The ebay filter has NO adapter. It attaches directly to the MAF. You will need four metric bolts to attach the filter to the MAF. Check the pictures that razrolab posted in this thread. It will make thinfs clearer.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
The ebay filter has NO adapter. It attaches directly to the MAF. You will need four metric bolts to attach the filter to the MAF. Check the pictures that razrolab posted in this thread. It will make thinfs clearer.
Probably didn't come across as clear as I'd hoped.

What I meant was to use the plate at the base of the Ebay that bolts directly to the MAF with the Apexi cone unit if possible. Basically making the Apexi a direct MAF bolt-on like the Ebay and Buschur.

Why?

Apexi's proven filtration + the (seemingly) more true velocity stack design + the elimination of the potentially restrictive MAF adapter it comes with = the best of both worlds.

I'm probably over-thinking this.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
According to my testing this filter makes you run richer across the power band. You will have to re-tune your car to run back to the way it was before you installed the filter. Razrolab and I got the same results, both car ran richer when the filter was installed and the car was logged untuned.
Did you do any DLL dyno plots before and after? The richer readings throughout the pull suggest that you are in a higher load column, but I wonder if the higher load column was truly because of higher airflow or because the filter simply alter the maf scaling to show a higher airflow.

Eric
Old Jun 29, 2007, 08:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by l2r99gst
Did you do any DLL dyno plots before and after? The richer readings throughout the pull suggest that you are in a higher load column, but I wonder if the higher load column was truly because of higher airflow or because the filter simply alter the maf scaling to show a higher airflow.

Eric
In my testing it made 1 more psi and moved over one load column. I don't do 2byte mods on customer ecus so the HZ I do not know.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

So it made the a/f ratio richer because the maf noticed more air? (just trying make sense of why in my mind)

Could it be possible that the reason this filter makes you run richer because the transition is not smooth (from filter to transition maf) ?
Old Jun 29, 2007, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
So it made the a/f ratio richer because the maf noticed more air? (just trying make sense of why in my mind)

Could it be possible that the reason this filter makes you run richer because the transition is not smooth (from filter to transition maf) ?
In my testing the AFR got richer even though I hit the same load cell before and after the filter was installed. I would assume that the rich AFR was a result of something else at least on my car.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 07:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
In my testing the AFR got richer even though I hit the same load cell before and after the filter was installed. I would assume that the rich AFR was a result of something else at least on my car.
You gained 1 psi but ran the same load?
Old Jun 29, 2007, 07:59 PM
UCB
Evolved Member

got mine today...man its kinda big compared to the KN im using. But looking at it, I can see why it may be beneficial over the maf adapter types in not throwing off maf readings

Since the filter housing itself full covers the maf opening, there is less chance for vortices and such to develope like you can see out of the traditional style
Old Jun 29, 2007, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
You gained 1 psi but ran the same load?
I gained ~ 1 psi in the power band NOT @ peak boost. That is why the 3500 rpm load did not change much. On my car the ~1 psi gain in boost came after 5500 rpm.

Last edited by nj1266; Jun 29, 2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UCB
Andy, if you want stealth, this is the filter I run, uses the standard $20 maf adapter, is short (only 4.5" tall), so it fits under the stock box top/snorkel. You left right before my car went on the dyno, but I'm sure you saw the results from the dyno day. Bryan saw them as well since he was, well, in the dyno room

http://www.amazon.com/K-N-RF-1005-Un...2234974&sr=8-1
do u have a picture of what it looks like? or do you simply mean it looks just like stock but the filter is inside the box?

Quick Reply: Apexi drop-in filter?