Notices
ECU Flash

? about Vishnu ECU Flash

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? about Vishnu ECU Flash

If anyone has had it done how do you like it and is it worth getting done. What is the gas mileage difference and has anyone had it flash just on what they had done to the car. And did it make a difference than just getting the flash then buying the parts?? Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say pick someone else.. unless you like knock and to much timing...I know 2 other evo owners here including myself that had a vishnu flash and have that problem..myself 5-9 counts +4 deg to much timing in 2 spots. Another guy 4-5 counts from 5000rpm to redline. So yeah not to thrilled with it. Now with a Doug Dyno flash I have 0 counts at 22 psi on 91 pump ****.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
A dyno tune from Vishnu might be a good thing, but their mail-in flash definitely has some pitfalls (and some nice things). The mail-in flash that I received was conservative on timing, but not on fuel. The boost management system was not terribly consistent either. I was frequently seeing knock sums of 7-10 at high rpm (high enough for the ECU pull back several degrees of timing), and was also seeing occasional knock sums of 15-20 at mid-rpm values (well beyond acceptable). I was also getting boost overshoot (which was contributing to the knock). I ended up using his flash as a base for my tuning.

The good thing I've noticed about the mail-in Vishnu flash is that Shiv does tinker with the maps to improve daily driveablility. The car has much better driveability in the 2-3k rpm range with his tune, and after getting fuel and boost under control, I'm quite happy with things.

Overall though, it was a nightmare with the high knock counts and 25+ psi boost overshoot from a $750 product. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. And since Shiv is still charging $750, I think Shiv is still tuning with ECUtek which likely has access to only a subset of the maps that are now available with ECUFlash. (Either that or he has switched over to ECUFlash and is raking in a huge profit on each mail-in flash.)

EDIT: And don't believe the advertised 100-130 hp gains. The best anyone can expect from a reliable flash on a stock car with pump gas is about 50 whp which would be about 65-70 bhp at the most.

Last edited by mrfred; Jun 27, 2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
And don't believe the advertised 100-130 hp gains. The best anyone can expect from a reliable flash on a stock car with pump gas is about 50 whp which would be about 65-70 bhp at the most.
I have to completely agree with this. And even 50 whp is huge claim on a stock car ... even for the IX. I think 50 is doable with a good custom tune with a test pipe and filter, but not from a flash alone.

If you are looking to get tuned and not be adventurous yourself, I know that Doug at TopSpeed is a great tuner. But you'll need to visit Atlanta for a tune from him. I've heard good things about Mellon as well, but have not seen his tunes myself.

Good luck!
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

I have to strongly disagree here. The IX flashes that I have seen from Vishnu are very safe and fruitful purchases. The base Evo IX map should not knock on a stock car. The most important thing is to make sure that you specify your location and octane requirements.

If you're thinking about buying parts, you map will almost certainly need to be changed after you install them.

d

EDIT: This discussion has happened many times, but I feel it is important to remind folks that 'knockcount' is just a measure of noise and no certain value indicates that the engine is actually knocking. Even a good tune (or stock) will experience knock count readings in weather significantly different that when the map was made. Again this is not meant to sway the argument either way.

Last edited by donour; Jun 27, 2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
The IX map with the MIVEC that shows advance greater than the system can actually do? His actual tuning ability or salemanship aside, anyone that sells a product without knowing what the overall parameters are of said adjustments has earned no rights to work on anyone cars...even if it doesnt knock.

ESPECIALLY when he charges 5 times the going rate.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Jun 27, 2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:57 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ya vishnu sucks, a tune magazine hired them to do there evo and it went in limp mode thanks to the sucky vishnu tune they did on it. I have also heard from countless people about there way to aggresive high knock tune.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

MODS: this should be moved to the vishnu forum.

Original Poster: This forum is for discussing the "EcuFlash" program and associated work.

d
Old Jun 27, 2007, 01:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by donour
I have to strongly disagree here. The IX flashes that I have seen from Vishnu are very safe and fruitful purchases. The base Evo IX map should not knock on a stock car. The most important thing is to make sure that you specify your location and octane requirements.

If you're thinking about buying parts, you map will almost certainly need to be changed after you install them.

d

EDIT: This discussion has happened many times, but I feel it is important to remind folks that 'knockcount' is just a measure of noise and no certain value indicates that the engine is actually knocking. Even a good tune (or stock) will experience knock count readings in weather significantly different that when the map was made. Again this is not meant to sway the argument either way.
My only experience is with the mail-in tune on a stock IX with the exception of a Works drop-in air filter. Shiv told me that the subzero flash was perfectly fine for a stock car. And he said it was good for 91 oct. In my area, premium is 92 oct. I have logs showing a 15-20 knock count spike. Regardless of the weather, that's way too much knock. Do you let your car knock that much? And one time when I went WOT at 5K rpms in 5th gear, the boost soared up to something like 26 psi, and the motor stumbled badly (no it wasn't boost cut because Shiv effectively disables it by raising the boost cut time delay to a day or something like that). I can only guess that it pulled massive timing in response to a really bad knock event. I wish I was logging when that happened.

With my current tune, the most knock I ever see is about 3 counts. And I have switched back and forth between my tune and the original Vishnu mail-in tune (with the exception of better boost control) and watched the knock counts return at high rpm. So this isn't some phantom knock thing.

Maybe maybe a Vishnu mail-in works good on some cars, but it definitely doesn't work good on all cars.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

my "tune" was done on the dyno...still had the knock and timing issue..the other one was a IX flash...and he locked it so it could not be fixed.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Regardless of the weather, that's way too much knock. Do you let your car knock that much? And one time when I went WOT at 5K rpms in 5th gear, the boost soared up to something like 26 psi,

I wasn't meaning to take a side, that just hasn't been my experience. I think most of us sensible people would agree that knock counts as high as 20-30 should _not_ be the target.

Getting into specific number arguments is useless because I'm at much higher altitude than most readers. 26 psi on my boost gauge is not the same as it would be on yours.

Either way, there's no point in debating. You had a bad experience. I had a good one. We should get back to hacking the stock ECU.

d
Old Jun 27, 2007, 03:07 PM
Account Disabled

its good to get detail on what others have experienced, its not a waste of time at all to discuss things like this. Sometimes like girls, its good to gossip to, jus to shoot sh$% when your bored.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 03:44 PM
EvoM Guru

I wasn't meaning to take a side, that just hasn't been my experience. I think most of us sensible people would agree that knock counts as high as 20-30 should _not_ be the target.

Getting into specific number arguments is useless because I'm at much higher altitude than most readers. 26 psi on my boost gauge is not the same as it would be on yours.

Either way, there's no point in debating. You had a bad experience. I had a good one. We should get back to hacking the stock ECU.

d
Cool. Back to hacking.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

EDIT: This discussion has happened many times, but I feel it is important to remind folks that 'knockcount' is just a measure of noise and no certain value indicates that the engine is actually knocking.
No. Knock count (sum) is not just a measure of noise and I don't know why you find a need to repeat this. I have an ECU+ which reads the direct analouge input to the ECU. When you compare that graph to a log showing knock sum you can see that an increase in just the voltage input is not enough to trigger the knock sum.

In addition, disassembly of the ECU code shows there are several other variables that effect the ECUs handling of the input from the knock filter. You might find some more information at Aktive Matrix. If you look around the net you can also see different strategies for handling raw knock data.

MB