Notices
ECU Flash

Tested: Ebay Filter

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2007, 09:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by chmodlf
atlvalet - Put up yor pics of the "UPS cold air intake".

Alright everyone...you asked for it...you got it...the UPS Cold Air Box™

Ebay filer: $17
8" UPS box: $1.83
Everyone wondering what the hell the UPS Cold Air Box™ is: Priceless

There you go
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ lmfao!!!!! that **** is so funny
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:34 PM
Former Sponsor

BTW, the ingenious award for this goes to Aby Nazario, A.K.A. WOT on the boards.

I get the award for plagiarism
Old Jul 6, 2007, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A cold air box still needs some other opening besides the stock snorkel. The reason the stock box is so restrictive is because the only air opening to it is the stock snorkel. The cross sectional area of that is pretty small, resulting in the pressure drop that we see when logging with the stock box.

I don't know how much of an issue it will be with your cardboard box, since it definitely isn't an air tight design, but if you are getting more than about .4 psi pressure drop or so, then you need more room to breathe. The whole bottom of the box is basically open, though, right? I can't tell in the pics if the box has a bottom or how much of a bottom.

I'm just curious is you're getting more pressure drop with that design than if the box wasn't there.

I'm personally going to buy some plastic sheet, most likely HDPE and build my own box, too. It will have an opening for the snorkel, at at least another big opening somewhere else, whether it be on the opposite side of the engine, or on the bottom, etc. I want the cross sectional area of the 'breathing' openings to be at least as large as the cross sectional area of the MAF opening, possibly much larger.

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jul 6, 2007 at 06:15 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
A cold air box still needs some other opening besides the stock snorkel. The reason the stock box is so restrictive is because the only air opening to it is the stock snorkel. The cross sectional area of that is pretty small, resulting in the pressure drop that we see when logging with the stock box.

I don't know how much of an issue it will be with your cardboard box, since it definitely isn't an air tight design, but if you are getting more than about .4 psi pressure drop or so, then you need more room to breathe. The whole bottom of the box is basically open, though, right? I can't tell in the pics if the box has a bottom or how much of a bottom.

I'm just curious is you're getting more pressure drop with that design than if the box wasn't there.

I'm personally going to buy some plastic sheet, most likely HDPE and build my own box, too. It will have an opening for the snorkel, at at least another big opening somewhere else, whether it be on the opposite side of the engine, or on the bottom, etc. I want the cross sectional area of the 'breathing' openings to be at least as large as the cross sectional area of the MAF opening, possibly much larger.

Eric
This design uses a tube that feeds from the bumper opening. I was going to use this in conjunction with the stock snorkel.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/showthread.php?t=173392
Old Jul 6, 2007, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, that is more of what I am referring to. Also, the entire bottom/right side of that box is missing, so any air that can travel to that side of the box helps out, too.

Eric
Old Jul 6, 2007, 09:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Eric
The bottom of the box is open, and soon there will be 3" hose directing air from the front of the car to the bottom of the box.

Basically this design does a couple of things. It blocks air in the engine from getting directly to the filter. It also uses the stock ram-air snorkel. In addition, the bottom is open, and cold air will be directed there with tubing, so pressure drop (restrictions in the turbo trying to get air) shouldn't be an issue

Oh, and the box is only $1.83 at your local UPS store

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Jul 6, 2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds good, then.

The only thing you have to worry about now is the cardboard starting your engine bay on fire.

In a couple minutes of research (Google), I found a few plastics companies that will sell a sheet of HDPE, and other plastics, for under $10. A sheet of like 2'x4', so that should be enough to build a box with. I'll definitely give it a shot and see what happens. I may just keep the top open and try to seal it up to the hood with a rubber lining or something similar, or maybe a clear top, etc.

Did you happend to do any logging before and after your setup? I'm curious in IATs and baro.

Eric
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

how much of a pressure drop you end up with?
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Did you happend to do any logging before and after your setup? I'm curious in IATs and baro.

Eric
No,

But contact Aby (WOT) as he logs his car constantly (with an AEM). It will at least give you an idea of the flow combined with IAT's.

He's the one I got the idea from.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Maybe Bryan can say since he is tuning my car tomorrow? I have a bung for an IAT sensor, but no sensor yet
Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by atlvalet
Maybe Bryan can say since he is tuning my car tomorrow? I have a bung for an IAT sensor, but no sensor yet
You can log IAT at the MAF using the stock sensor and evoscan. It will show you how much fresh air you are getting or not.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razorlab
You can log IAT at the MAF using the stock sensor and evoscan. It will show you how much fresh air you are getting or not.

Urrg...me dumb...
Old Jul 6, 2007, 01:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Ok here is the BR filter (same type and size of filter as the EBAY) with the stock intake box modded to work so it will be a bit more stealthier for this wonderful state of Kalifornia.

Old Jul 6, 2007, 01:18 PM
UCB
Evolved Member

is that malibujacks car?

Quick Reply: Tested: Ebay Filter