Notices
ECU Flash

Car wants to die after runs!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2007, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not saying it isn't a tune related problem but if your RPM dips into stall immediatly following a hard WOT pull, for example: floor it to redline, lift foot off throttle/clutch in then 0 RPM, then it could possibly be the diverter valve being spring loaded too high.

If the problem I described is NOT what your experiencing then disregard and use as gee-whiz info, but if it is then check the valve. I had the exact same issue when I loaded my DV spring an extra few pounds - the car would fall asleep after a pull with the clutch in, it was fixed by defaulting back to OEM spring preload. The MAF has got to see some air between shifts to stimulate IDC
Old Aug 27, 2007, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nj1266
Let me be blunt with you: There aren't any good big name Evo pro-tuners in SoCal. They ALL SUCK. So stop wasting your money trying them. If want a good SoCal tuner try Scott Barbour. He tunes @ the Long Beach meets. Check out SoCal evo for the dates and time of the meets and then go there and he will fix your car.

Another tuner that I recommend is Razolab. He tunes in NorCal, but the trip is worth it IMO.

TUNING TECH there are actually quite a few good tuners (alfred beltran)
CHURCH testing.. i disagree with you
Old Aug 27, 2007, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Car wants to die after runs!! is the topic. Where is ant? He needs to follow up on his thread
Old Aug 27, 2007, 12:33 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does it do this every time after a hard run?

does it do this when you come to a stop normally?

does it do it when you are turning at very low speed?

a log of it idling would be helpful
Old Aug 27, 2007, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RnRjames
TUNING TECH there are actually quite a few good tuners (alfred beltran)
CHURCH testing.. i disagree with you
Disagree all you want, but ALL the cars that I have logged that were tuned by Alfred suffered from the following:

1. Knock sum between 13-15 counts.
2. Unscaled injectors which lead to what the OP might be experiencing.
3. Block timing indicating that the tuner was lazy becuase he either does not know how to log 2byte load or does not want to log 2byte load.

I stand by my statement ALL pro-tuners of Evos in SoCal SUCK. I urge the OP either to learn how to tune the car himself or seek the tuners whose names I mentioned in my post.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^Obviously you dont know what you are talking about. Alfred is an excellent tuner. What about Scott Gray, he sucks too? I guess Road Race Engineering cant tune either. Why dont you tune an Evo and put it up against one of these tuners and back up your claims. Oh because you cant tune and have no real basis to stand on.

A car knocking after it is tuned is gonna happen. I had my car tuned by a professional tuner in SoCal. I was watching him tune the whole time using 2 byte load and logging knock sum. When I left the shop the pulls were showing 0 knock and every once in a while it would show 1-2 counts of knock. Five days after the tune I pull a log on it and I had 8 counts of knock. Was it a bad tune. No. Weather conditions change, fuel differences, road conditions are different from dyno conditions. You know so much about tuning and that allSoCal tuners suck then why dont you open a shop of your own and put them out of bussiness because you are better?
Old Aug 27, 2007, 05:04 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
let get back to the topic instead of SoCal tuners bashing then. It maybe not anything to do with the tune. It can be hardware related. Let be helpful because there're some other evos experience the same issue and maybe more down the road. Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cpoevo
^Obviously you dont know what you are talking about. Alfred is an excellent tuner. What about Scott Gray, he sucks too? I guess Road Race Engineering cant tune either. Why dont you tune an Evo and put it up against one of these tuners and back up your claims. Oh because you cant tune and have no real basis to stand on.
I really do not want to make this thread go off topic. You believe what you want. I stand by my statement and it has its basis in fact and experience. And BTW, I do tune Evos. Some of them were badly tuned by Alfred
Old Aug 27, 2007, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by G20
let get back to the topic instead of SoCal tuners bashing then. It maybe not anything to do with the tune. It can be hardware related. Let be helpful because there're some other evos experience the same issue and maybe more down the road. Thanks.
How can we be helpful when ant turbo does not give us all the fact? He posts a log that barely has enough WOT data and he does not follow up with answers to the questions. This is the third thread of this sort. We keep asking him about his tuner and refuses to say. You can tell a lot about the tune by knowing who the tuner is.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Ant turbo, where are you? this thread has gone to california in a bucket
Old Aug 28, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok I'm back!! Car is running good no stalling or dieing out
What ever the tuner did it runs great now car fells great.,,,THANKS,,,
More info coming soon,,,,
Old Aug 28, 2007, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
YES and NO sometimes it will or the rpm's would drop really low,,
But not anymore..
Originally Posted by Mellon
does it do this every time after a hard run?

does it do this when you come to a stop normally?

does it do it when you are turning at very low speed?

a log of it idling would be helpful
Old Aug 28, 2007, 03:33 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm tuning the car now.

It had some pretty serious knock on its original "tune" and a very interesting fuel curve as well. The car would pop at higher RPMs as if it had an ignition problem, but this went away as the tune became healthier.

As for the "fall to idle" stumbling, it is indeed a hardware issue. The aftermarket intake pipe and filter significantly alter the signal to the MAF, which was causing the symptom described in this thread. Rather than swapping hardware, we implemented some creative MAF scaling to compensate. This seems to have done the trick.

We're now just fine-tuning the fuel and timing curves before calling it "done."

Yes, Bryan, the injectors are properly scaled this time.

Scott B
Old Aug 28, 2007, 11:02 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Great to hear that your car is running fine. With a friend, we just found a little hose below the intake manifold on the passenger side pop out. We plugged it back in but not sure if that will solve the problem as we don't want to test it out at this times on our streets that infected by cops. Will see tomorrow. Anybody have any idea or guess what is that hose? It was part of three hoses below the intake manifold but on the passenger side. Thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ant_turbo
Ok I'm back!! Car is running good no stalling or dieing out
What ever the tuner did it runs great now car fells great.,,,THANKS,,,
More info coming soon,,,,
Well I am glad that you took my advise and sought out Scott Barbour. He will fix your car. And just like I suspected your previous tuner SUCKED. All of these SoCal big name tuners are not worth a dime.

Quick Reply: Car wants to die after runs!!