Notices
ECU Flash

coil dwelling on stock ecu? any tuners know anything about this??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2007, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Max Power
Any more info on this?

Razorlab, do you think the dwell settings of the DSM coils would be better suited (I'm not sure if they are, 4g vs 4g seems like they might be) and maybe fix the drivability? It seems that the dsm coils and that ignitor upgrade might be the ticket for a high boost, driveable setup.

So who's gonna make a plug in package? Tons of money awaits

DSM coils would be better suited if you didn't do a CDI upgrade, because they are only a little different/better than Evo coils. Much different coils are what causes the dwell compatibility problems.

If you do a CDI upgrade, coil selection isn't AS important(other than it can't be a coil with a built in ignitor). The DSM coils still are decent for CDI, but with a good CDI, I'd use whatever coil you could find with a low resistance, and that fit easily. If you have a DSM, I'd just keep running the DSM coils. If you have an Evo, use the coils that are recommended.

As for who is going to make the plug in package, it already was made, and the link posted here. Now it just has to compete against all the deceptive marketing claims made by snake oil sellers. And when I mention deceptive claims, I am referring to companies that claim to get multisparking just by changing the coils, companies that sell ground kits to hop up the ignition, etc.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 02:43 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We are currently testing the OKADA PROJECTS PLASMA COILS.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Okada claims to create multisparking just by changing the coil. Then the oscilloscope image they use to support this shows that there is just 1 spark. I do not believe they know what they are taking about, either that or they are deliberately lying. Take your pick.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:12 PM
Former Sponsor

To the OP, you will want to stay away from adding more dwell to the stock COP units. They run very tight tolerances, like most COP units. And being buried right in the furnace of the engine, they don't have a very good ability to shed the increase in heat. You will likely burn them out. I have a buddy that knows this from experience. He's on his 2nd set of coils from tweaking dwell.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Synapse
To the OP, you will want to stay away from adding more dwell to the stock COP units. They run very tight tolerances, like most COP units. And being buried right in the furnace of the engine, they don't have a very good ability to shed the increase in heat. You will likely burn them out. I have a buddy that knows this from experience. He's on his 2nd set of coils from tweaking dwell.
That could be a result of where/when he added the dwell. The factory dwell map drops settings off at high RPM, and has more at low RPM. If he added more at low RPM, he could have forced the built in ignitor out of saturation by going beyond their current limit. As soon as the driver comes out of saturation, it will start generating significantly more heat. Without using a lot of tools, adjusting dwell blindly is pretty risky.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Low RPM with too much dwell is where the COPs units typically die.

Although, looking more closely at the stock COP on the Evo, it is probably more robust than your average COP from Honda or VW/Audi. I don't even know how he would adjust the dwell with the stock ECU.

I'm leaning towards a mixture miss on this one as well.

Last edited by Synapse; Sep 5, 2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 02:31 AM
Evolved Member

So yeah.... has anyone found the way to adjust the charge time of the coils?
Old Sep 5, 2008, 03:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering

I tested these and it showed an improvement in idle and high RPM - 8500. On the dyno no power increase was evident at any point, however the car ran smoother in high RPM range. They also look the same/no different to OEM which was dissapointing.

Will be testing them in due course at 10 500 RPM, though i feel they will not manage above 550hp / 8500RPM and will need to be changed for proper COP.

Adelin
Old Sep 6, 2008, 02:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mattjin
So yeah.... has anyone found the way to adjust the charge time of the coils?
There's definitely ways to do it, but the concern is that you will burn out the igniters on the coils.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Not if you are changing to use other coils. So if someone has a hex address or map to go to for the adjustment it would be to the benefit of all.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 01:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Yup, if you are changing the dwell to match a different coil, then that should be fine.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Dwell makes it hotter since the charge time is being increased. I wouldnt worry too much about the coil life decrease vs performance loss. Those that need the dwell bumped arent building 100k mile motors anyway.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 02:49 AM
Evolved Member

99% sure I found the charge time maps. I was already sure the ECU uses a constant charge time and now I am more sure. Linked with it is a coil dead time map, with both mapped via battery voltage.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
awesome
Old Sep 8, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Which ROM do you use JB, and I will try to find the maps if you want to do a little testing?

Quick Reply: coil dwelling on stock ecu? any tuners know anything about this??