Notices
ECU Flash

how-to: ECU-based direct boost control

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2008 | 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
I have tried 1 in the WGDC correction interval #1 and it is fantastic. I will not tune boost any other way. The load based boost control has come a long way thanks to mrfred's fine tuning of the boost load method.

Personally, I would zero all the negative side of the TBEC table as well as the first two of the positive side. This has given me consistent boost as the tables that I have posted show. The tables are multiple back-to-back runs in 3rd gear and in 4th gear and are not one run only from each gear.
That works because your temp difference isn't as wide as some of the rest of us . For people with wide temp changes I would say its probably best to only completely zero out the -20 and maybe the -17.5 ones (assuming stock TBEC is being used) as a start.

-20 needs to be reduced because even though WGDC doesn't show it in the logs it seems to max out at more than 100. I would hazard it gets to 127. So at spool up having -20 not set to zero lets WGDC get above 100. -17.5 for a similiar reason. From there on down you need to put in some positive values or your curve will just decrease in some causes and never increase.

I'll try the interval set to 1 next time I am out though.
Old Feb 3, 2008 | 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

On this same topic....have many people tuned boost using the "modified" load based boost control with an VIII, an Aftermarket header, O2 housing, TBE and stock pills?

This is the exact setup I have and with the stock pills in (well at least to my knowledge since I owned this car from the lot) its holding 18-19psi at 7400rpm all measured with the JDM map sensor (unless I somehow screwed up the settings somehow).

Naji's pills have been sitting here since last year because of this

I'm curious how many other people are running a similiar setup and if they are holding more/less boost without changing the stock pills.
Old Feb 3, 2008 | 11:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by codgi

-20 needs to be reduced because even though WGDC doesn't show it in the logs it seems to max out at more than 100. I would hazard it gets to 127.
I would agree with reducing the -20, however putting anything over 100 in the WGDC has shown no increase in boost from my findings.

I've tried it on a ton of stock evo 9's to try and get more boost out of the stock system and it does nothing, dyno proven and boost logged.

From those findings I figure 100 is max.
Old Feb 3, 2008 | 11:27 PM
EvoM Guru

btw, for the psi-target / boost logging guys...

I'm not 100% sure yet because I haven't been able to log a Evo 10 yet, but from the looks of the sensor, the Evo 10 comes with the 3 bar map sensor now.

Which means we can get the 3 bars from USA dealers now.

mrfred - the 3 bar has a circled "3" on the sensor correct?
Old Feb 4, 2008 | 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
I would agree with reducing the -20, however putting anything over 100 in the WGDC has shown no increase in boost from my findings.

I've tried it on a ton of stock evo 9's to try and get more boost out of the stock system and it does nothing, dyno proven and boost logged.

From those findings I figure 100 is max.
Yeah I wasn't saying that though, remember computers are stupid . Once it gets over 100 the WG can't hold any more pressure. However since the computer is still proabably hiddenly incrementing it, when we try to overboost by subtracting WG from it instead of subtracting from 100 you end up subtracting from 100 + whatever overamping has been done.

So for example, is -20 was set to 2 and the loop hits it 3 times while under boosting WGDC can end up being 106 (100 + 6).

You overboost by 10 and tbec for that is set to -4

106-4 = 102.

But for the same odd reason the variable we log still sees it as above 100 so the WGDC won't do anything until you loop around again and then you get

102-4 = 98

Now your below 100 and we begin to honestly try to correct. If you keep -20 non zero'd out and play with the values for positive correction enough you will eventually see this phenomena happen . I had seen it and then mrfred posted about it and it seemed to make sense based on my TBEC at the time.

I have old logs that show this....or maybe even if I look for that old thread I can find it.
Old Feb 4, 2008 | 11:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Ah, I understand you now codgi.

However I don't agree with the computers being stupid part, they are much smarter than I am. haha
Old Feb 4, 2008 | 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Ah, I understand you now codgi.

However I don't agree with the computers being stupid part, they are much smarter than I am. haha
hehehe. For your sake I hope not .

mrfred can chime in here and correct me but at least thats how i remember it going .

The xml for WGDC sets both Gauge and Chart Max to 100. I honestly never learnt the schema for EvoScan too well but it would be interesting to set that to a higher number and see if the logs can then produce something over 100 for WGDC.

But thats me after digging through code at work all day and 2 pickup games at the gym so i might not be too coherent .

I'm guessing 127 might be the max it could potentially hit because that would be (2^7 - 1).
Old Feb 5, 2008 | 12:20 AM
Evolving Member

I have the JDM twin-solenoid and set my wgdc to straight 90 for all rpm ranges and 100 from 5500 onwards. My boost characteristics are as follows: 3300rpm--20psi, 3400rpm--22.5 psi, 6000rpm--21 psi, 7000rpm-19psi, 7500rpm-18 psi. The boost is very solid and doesn't fluctuate much.

I am wondering whether by getting an EBC would be any better than the ecu-based method. (I have an HKS EVC6 sitting). Any input appreciated here.

One thing is for sure, the dual solenoid does a great job.
Old Feb 5, 2008 | 01:48 AM
EvoM Guru

I would keep the stock BCS...

EVC is *cool* but I found that it tapered and was a pita to setup... Really the only good thing is the nice look and built in gauge...

i had one on my last car, but wont be putting it on my new car... mainly because ill have altboostmaps running soon
Old Feb 5, 2008 | 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry that I haven't posted anything on the setup I mentioned earlier ... my car is back on the road but my new wheels/tires apparently weren't balanced correctly. I'm dropping it off today at lunch and I may be able to do some logs tonight. I've got a work thing to attend at 6:00, but after that I might be able to go out for some pulls.

I'm interested in the >100 issues as well. We all know the table goes to 127 and we've been back and forth a few times about the usefulness of that extra 27%. To increase the logable value, could I just increase the gauge max in EvoScan or will the formula need to change as well?
Old Feb 5, 2008 | 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

the 3 bar sensor does have the 3 circled
Old Feb 5, 2008 | 08:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by laramie_05MR
the 3 bar sensor does have the 3 circled
Then the Evo X does indeed come with a 3 bar stock.
Old Feb 5, 2008 | 08:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by codgi

I'm guessing 127 might be the max it could potentially hit because that would be (2^7 - 1).
Its interesting to consider if values of more than 100 are possible. For sure, 100 is the limit set in the ROM... there are several places in code where the WGDC calculation is checked to be sure that it does not exceed 100. However, the limit settings are relatively easily changed to allow more than 100.

I had always assumed that 100 correlated to a 100% duty cycle at BCS. More likely though, its probably not 100% duty cycle because that might fry the BCS to easily. I could add some tables that would allow setting the upper limit to about 125, but I can't say what that would do to the BCS or whether it would even allow more boost.
Old Feb 9, 2008 | 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

Okay guys...

My mind is boggled from reading 3 threads on just the JDM MAP stuff and my eyes are about to pop out of my head...

Please pardon my newbie mode in this area ecu tuning. Naji and I never had these capabilities in the SR20 world so this is a whole new ballpark for me to play in. A couple of questions...

1) This eliminates the need to use a manual boost controller? ( I think I know the answer already but need affirmation).

2) My car was bought used with a manual boost controller installed and I am unsure if any of the pills were re-used when it was initially installed. Who are the pills purchased from? (I saw mention of Naji pills and Vishnu pills?)

3) Could someone be so kind as to post or PM a picture of how it (bcs lines) are supposed to look when doing this mod? ie, plumbing for the BCS?

4) Do you suggest using MrFred's tables to start off with? (I want 24 psi of boost here at 6300ft elevation using 91 octane).

5) Does doing ANY of this change (direct boost control) your overall tune, ie. AFR, timing and mivec maps or is this only allowing the ecu to control boost from now on?

Thank you greatly for all your contributions. I think I can handle this but its going to be nerve wracking and a lot of sweat worrying about blowing stuff up. After all, I do live in the middle of the country where NORAD is based. An explosion from my car would set off military alertness.

Old Feb 9, 2008 | 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru

1) No need for an MBC or standalone EBC.

2) GST Motorsports has everything that you need. PM razorlab.

5) All of the boost control adjustments are independent from AFR/timing/MIVEC/etc.

:-)

Quick Reply: how-to: ECU-based direct boost control