Notices
ECU Flash

how-to: ECU-based direct boost control

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2008 | 05:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Awesome Mrfred! going to play with this now.
Old Mar 19, 2008 | 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

MrFred, I know you are a very busy man, but any chance these addresses could be found for other roms? *cough* 96420008 ?
Old Mar 19, 2008 | 07:18 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by mrfred
The values almost exactly duplicate the "open loop load #1" table though. Could be interesting to try tinkering with these values to see how it affects part throttle driveability. Probably most useful for keeping boost to a minimum during daily driving.
So I am a little clueless on tuning both this min load for boost and open loop load tables. Is the load percentage, i.e. 86.9% @ 1000rpm, the percentage of load ok target load? What is the percentage load a percentage of? I am confused on how to edit this table since there are >100% values.
Old Mar 19, 2008 | 08:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MR Turco
So I am a little clueless on tuning both this min load for boost and open loop load tables. Is the load percentage, i.e. 86.9% @ 1000rpm, the percentage of load ok target load? What is the percentage load a percentage of? I am confused on how to edit this table since there are >100% values.
The default unit for load in ECUFlash is "%". Using that unit can be kinda confusing IMHO. Bottom line is that they are just regular old load values which are a measure of how hard the engine is working. This table actually uses 1-byte load values, so the max load that can be put in the table is 159.
Old Mar 19, 2008 | 09:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Ahhh gotcha. Yes, i agree, confusing and stupid unit.

So I gather this is why people use 45 for the open loop tables to force it into open loop and give it leaner values in cruise range? Makes sense and it prevents delay from tip in.
Old Mar 19, 2008 | 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

good stuff mrfred, funny that subaru ecu has some of these already with out modding. I like to stay ahead of subaru LOL
Old Mar 19, 2008 | 09:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by bnice01
good stuff mrfred, funny that subaru ecu has some of these already with out modding. I like to stay ahead of subaru LOL
Yeah the subaru boost control is much better stock then ours. But I feel our cars are much better stock then theirs. My roommate and tuner has a JDM sti motor in his WRX and I would give up easy boost control for that disaster of an engine to work on. Plus we are getting close to their system. If/when the PID controller system is released i dont think we will have much to complain about
Old Mar 19, 2008 | 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Yeah the subaru boost control is much better stock then ours. But I feel our cars are much better stock then theirs. My roommate and tuner has a JDM sti motor in his WRX and I would give up easy boost control for that disaster of an engine to work on. Plus we are getting close to their system. If/when the PID controller system is released i dont think we will have much to complain about
yeah it is better but like you said we are getting there plus we are faster anyways . Man I hate going under the dash just to connect a connector to flash. the older model wrx's require two connectors under the dash to be connected, so think about how long it takes doing a road tune
yeah they are a pain to work on but the tranny drops are ALOT easier compared to ours

sorry for the OT
Old Mar 19, 2008 | 10:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bnice01
These actually aren't ROM mods. The tables have always existed, but the person who disassembled the ROM to create the ECUFlash definitions either didn't find these tables, didn't understand their purpose, or decided that they weren't a valuable tuning tool.
Old Mar 19, 2008 | 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
These actually aren't ROM mods. The tables have always existed, but the person who disassembled the ROM to create the ECUFlash definitions either didn't find these tables, didn't understand their purpose, or decided that they weren't a valuable tuning tool.

WHAT??!! wow nice info, thats why your the man mrfred

evo 8 dont get any love j/k i know its coming and your a business man

Last edited by bnice01; Mar 19, 2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2008 | 02:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Mrfred, in the Max WGDC Corr vs TPS are the % values absolute values? For instance if i have max correction of 10% at 100% TPS and overshoot boost by 3psi which has a correction of -15% will it only subtract 10% or does it only apply the limits to positive numbers? I would think the ECU may avoid clipping any overboosting.
Old Mar 19, 2008 | 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

good question I wonder the same thing driving from work
Old Mar 19, 2008 | 10:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Played around with the "Max WGDC Correction vs TPS" table today on a Evo 9.

I think this does something other than what we think!

I bought them down and the BWGDC and thus boost also came down. Load was on target before I change the Max WGDC Correction vs TPS values, so no correction was taking place. It brought the boost down almost 5psi.

I'm beginning to think it's a global boost curve setting now.

I have some logs I can post a little later.
Old Mar 20, 2008 | 05:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by razorlab

I bought them down and the BWGDC and thus boost also came down. Load was on target before I change the Max WGDC Correction vs TPS values, so no correction was taking place. It brought the boost down almost 5psi.

Whoa really? i wonder why it would it would cause something like this. I did flash on a MWGDC Corr v TPS (we need shorthand for this table) with these values but havent driven the car yet, only started it to make sure the flash was ok:
Code:
TPS% Max Corr
0         0
13        0
25        0
38        0
50        0
63        0
75       10
88       10
100      20
I was hoping this would give me no correction until i really am getting on it. I guess i will have to see what it does.
Old Mar 20, 2008 | 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab

good info razor keep us posted. one question what was the original setting for MWGDC vs TPS before you brought it down?

Quick Reply: how-to: ECU-based direct boost control