how-to: ECU-based direct boost control

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009 | 11:30 PM
EvoM Guru

+1

small means boost error is checked and acted upon more frequently

1 works - i used to use 1

most people use 2 or 3

if you use 1, then make sure you additive or subtractive numbers in TBEC are SMALLER, ie:

lots of smaller changes is better than fewer bigger changes...
Old Mar 17, 2009 | 12:47 AM
Evolved Member

Sweet! Thank you mplspilot and tephra.

tephra,

were you using 1 as correction interval on a specific patch?
Old Mar 17, 2009 | 12:57 AM
EvoM Guru

u can use 1 with stock if you want.

its more affective with "load based" or "direct boost based" control...
Old Mar 17, 2009 | 01:24 AM
Evolved Member

How should I change BDEL tables? I mean, the entire column is 159.4 on both BDEL tables.

I had my boost setup using only WGDC table and hit a peak of 24/25psi tapering to 20ish by 7300, it just seemed oscillate a lot, my DLL power graph looked more like crazy, like a seismograph reading.
Old Mar 17, 2009 | 01:37 AM
EvoM Guru

u need to tune your BDEL...

what system are u going for?

stock
load based
psi based

either way you need to setup the TBEC correctly to get less swing..
Old Mar 17, 2009 | 04:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by nano
I've been trying to get this dialed into my car for the last couple of days. WOT 3rd gear pull works like a charm, BoostError is ~0.0-0.5 all the way through the boost curve to redline.

5th gear is a different story though, if im on the freeway at ~5k and I go WOT the boost will overshoot and BEC doesnt take affect. My target is 21psi but it will overshoot to 25+ on a rolling 5th gear pull. I have included my tables, any pointers would be awesome...I've tried lowering the WGDC but then it becomes too low for boosting in other gears. This is for a bbk on 91, no meth yet so keeping boost reasonably safe.

More boost is generated in higher gears because the turbo loads up more effectively. You have the boost system tuned to pull out a ton of WGDC when strong overshoot occurs, so you shouldn't be getting 4 psi overshoot. I suspect that the WGDC correction interval is too high. I used to use "2", but now I use "1". I recommend trying either one of those.
Old Mar 17, 2009 | 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by mrfred
More boost is generated in higher gears because the turbo loads up more effectively. You have the boost system tuned to pull out a ton of WGDC when strong overshoot occurs, so you shouldn't be getting 4 psi overshoot. I suspect that the WGDC correction interval is too high. I used to use "2", but now I use "1". I recommend trying either one of those.
mrfred thanks for the tips, I will give that correction interval a try on the drive home from work and report my findings. I appreciate the help!
Old Mar 17, 2009 | 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
u need to tune your BDEL...

what system are u going for?

stock
load based
psi based

either way you need to setup the TBEC correctly to get less swing..
So the TBEC will minimize the boost oscillation? I initially also had the WGDC Corrction interval at 3, that probably also hurt me a little I imagine.

Which system would I need the JDM map for? psi based right? Isn't that the most stable and ideal way to go about things? I'm planning on ordering my EVO X map today.
Old Mar 17, 2009 | 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Also, what does BDEL do and how am I trying to tune it? It just reads 159.4 on it now. Sorry if this was already discussed.
Old Mar 17, 2009 | 06:42 PM

If you are using PSI based then you don't use BDEL.

Regardless, BDEL stands for Boost desired engine load, it is the target load value that is used in the ECU Load based boost control. Current load - BDEL = load error. Then error is used to look up the correction factor(TBEC) that is add/subtracted from base line duty cycle (MWGD).

Oh one last thing BDEL has an offset, Boost control Load Offset (BCLO), so if BDEL is 159.9 and BCLO is 100, then the target load is 259.9.
Old Mar 17, 2009 | 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

So If I'm implementing the jdm map, then I'm doing psi based boost which is more consistent with weather fluctuations right?
Old Mar 18, 2009 | 05:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Inprogress
So If I'm implementing the jdm map, then I'm doing psi based boost which is more consistent with weather fluctuations right?
Stock load-based boost control tends to try to push boost higher in hot weather. My psi-based boost control tends to cause boost to shoot higher (sometimes too high) in cold weather. I believe the tephra's latest ROM has a WGDC correction vs IAT that stops the overshoot in cold weather.
Old Mar 18, 2009 | 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

So the wgdc correction vs. IAT would be another type of correction table?

If im doing psi based, do I still have to tune Bdel? I'm sorry, I'm just a little confused.
Old Mar 18, 2009 | 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Inprogress
So the wgdc correction vs. IAT would be another type of correction table?

If im doing psi based, do I still have to tune Bdel? I'm sorry, I'm just a little confused.
Right click on BDEL tables, edit, change scaling to psia8. It'll show values in PSI for direct (psi based) boost control. They are the same exact tables as "Baseline Boost", use whichever, changing one set changes the other.
Old Mar 18, 2009 | 03:12 PM

good news, I kept the same tables as previously posted, only changing the correction interval from 2 --> 1 and it has fixed the problem. 5 gear is perfectly drivable at WOT now.

thanks again for the pointers everyone had, i greatly appreciated the help!

Quick Reply: how-to: ECU-based direct boost control