Notices
ECU Flash

how-to: ECU-based direct boost control

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2009 | 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

just by looking at your pic, I can see that your TBEC, is still set up for "load" based control. You might need to add the BEC for psi based control to your .xml... Or check to see if you have it already, and use that 1.
Old May 31, 2009 | 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

AhOK, Sorry, I accidentally posted the pic with the TBEC, but they (TBEC and BEC) are the same. In fact when I change one the other automatically changes.

So here is a pick with both......

Let me know if I misunderstood your comment. I added in some values into the lower part just because I wanted to protect the engine for now until I figure out whats going on. I realize that they should be zeros for this process that was explained in the OP.

Thanks for any insight

Old Jun 1, 2009 | 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
GM 3 port
Straight lines, no pills
Forge red spring actuator
FPred
3rd gear

Still had more duty cycle, had it at around 33psi at one point but didn't need the power at that time.
Are you referencing your compressor outlet for your boost source? Or are you using your intake manifold? If you aren't, but have before... did it help prevent boost spikes? (overshoot) and get more boost? Theoretically...it should increase your boost the same amount as your pressure drop across your intercooler system.

I'm going to try and remove the pill and see if I get much more boost. Any other suggestions? I'm sure the AEM solenoid is as capable as the GM one.
Old Jun 1, 2009 | 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

Note: Do NOT use the "TBEC", or any of the load based tables for boost, only the baseline tables. You still use the same timing and fuel tables though.

I cant see a log, but It looks like your tune is working off of the corrections factor, and you do not need 80% duty cycle to get to your target boost of 25. And the corrections is set up to take care of that. But you will still, always overboost.

I do things a lil differently. First, try setting up your WGDC map w/ 100% till 2000 rpm, maybe 2500 (I would go w/ 2500) to help w/ spool, and try 80% @ 3000 rpm, w/ something like say 78% @ 3500 rpm. Set up your boost table/WGDC w/ what you see @ each rpm point, and then give it say .5 extra psi points more incase of a lil overshoot. If your undershooting, give it more duty cycle. I would guess that if your seeing 27 psi w/ 80% and you wanna see 25, then try ~78% duty cycle. If you dont wanna try 100% till 2500 rpm, then put 77-78% till 3500, then what ever you need from there.

Also note, that once you have your boost in check, you wont need as much correction @ +3.1...

Log the car, and see what she likes. This method is a lil more involved, but will provide slightly better spool, response and smoothness, as the corrections wont be in play as much.

Or the easy way, just set your WGDC map w/ 78's where you have 80's.

Last edited by nonschlont; Jun 1, 2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2009 | 05:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Are you referencing your compressor outlet for your boost source? Or are you using your intake manifold? If you aren't, but have before... did it help prevent boost spikes? (overshoot) and get more boost? Theoretically...it should increase your boost the same amount as your pressure drop across your intercooler system.

I'm going to try and remove the pill and see if I get much more boost. Any other suggestions? I'm sure the AEM solenoid is as capable as the GM one.
Don't believe me about 100% duty cycle, eh? All the three ports have the same capability at 100% duty. Its not going to matter where its connected when the duty cycle is set to 100% because under that condition, the BCS is routing the WGA diaphram to atmosphere (and not to the boost source). Removing the pill at the WGA will improve responsiveness (and may reduce boost spikes), but will not affect the boost range.
Old Jun 1, 2009 | 10:08 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by R/TErnie

I always try to reference pressure as close to the turbo as possible. For all stock turbos or variants, that is from the OEM nipple off the compressor housing outlet. On aftermarket turbos, either on the compressor itself or the LICP.
Old Jun 1, 2009 | 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nonschlont
........I cant see a log, but It looks like your tune is working off of the corrections factor, and you do not need 80% duty cycle to get to your target boost of 25. And the corrections is set up to take care of that. But you will still, always overboost.............
I attached a zipped excel file of the evoscan log in post# 674. Let me know if you can't see or get that.

I might be slightly in over my head, but I feel like I am 80 percent there with understanding, its probably just that I have reread too much this weekend and it gets blurry. Simply put based on those number why would I "always overboost"? I am not getting that.

Maybe I don't understand the function of the WGDC maps. ( I am thinking Waste Gate Duty Cycle).
Old Jun 1, 2009 | 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mbartel
I attached a zipped excel file of the evoscan log in post# 674. Let me know if you can't see or get that.

I might be slightly in over my head, but I feel like I am 80 percent there with understanding, its probably just that I have reread too much this weekend and it gets blurry. Simply put based on those number why would I "always overboost"? I am not getting that.

Maybe I don't understand the function of the WGDC maps. ( I am thinking Waste Gate Duty Cycle).
I know exactly how you feel, dont worry bout it. Practice makes perfect around here! OK, looks like I just missed the log... First thing, I noticed, is: You did NOT log WGDC, but you logged the correction for WGDC. You need to log "WGDC", to see how much you need to maintain the target boost level.
Ex. You are overshooting your "target boost" (25psi) by 2 psi. WGDC is basically what controls boost! So if your map is showing 80% WGDC, and your overboosting, by 2 psi, than you would take 2% from 80% = 78%. So basically, if you wanna continue w/ the tune, the way it is, just change the WGDC table from 500 rpm - 3500 rpm to 78%, and that should take care of your overboosting, or maybe 4000, cause its spooling late. Another thing I just noticed, is your hitting WGDC Correction of 3+ and its not showing any correction, even though you have a value in your maps...

Also, it helps to have whatever you decide to log for that day, in order, so when you open it up in excell, it makes it a lot easier to read.
ex. TPS/RPM/WGDC/BOOST/BOOST ERROR/AFR/KNOCK/WGDC CORRECTION, etc... You can do this by (R) clicking on a parameter in evoscan, and hit edit, then you can manually move any parameter, you chose.

I also noticed, not sure, but it looks like your TPS is off, cause your seeing almost full boost @ 63% TPS... I dont think it should read that high unless your under WOT =100% TPS.
And 1 more thing to consider, is if you were to set up your boost maps, the way I described in my first post to you, you would be able to improve spool up, and hit full boost ~ 3500, not 4000 rpm... Also you might wanna rescale your rpm axis to get better resolution in the meaty part of the pwerband rather than wasting your rpm points during spool up.
Ex. 500, 2000, 2500, 3000, 3500, 3750, 4000, 4250, 4500, 4750, 5000, 5500, 6000, 6500, 7000, 7500
Since your WGDC is the same during spool up, (100%) or for you (78%) you can utilize the cells for the actuall boosting...
Hope that makes sense...

Last edited by nonschlont; Jun 1, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2009 | 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Don't believe me about 100% duty cycle, eh? All the three ports have the same capability at 100% duty. Its not going to matter where its connected when the duty cycle is set to 100% because under that condition, the BCS is routing the WGA diaphram to atmosphere (and not to the boost source). Removing the pill at the WGA will improve responsiveness (and may reduce boost spikes), but will not affect the boost range.
I understand. Yes you are right. My source will not change anything when I'm @ 100% WGDC
Old Jun 1, 2009 | 05:21 PM

anyone these tables for 88580014 or know where i can get it?

Thanks
Old Jun 2, 2009 | 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

nonschlont,
Thanks for the info. I set the WGDC to 75s and 70 just to make sure I was impacting the tune, and my logic was straight. I don't mind making the car slower or piggish for now as long as its in the safe direction. I was wondering if I need to change the values in the WGDC high gear and WGDC low gear. Are they both used, and do they both need to be the same?

Also what do the typical numbers in the WGDC table(s) look like for a TBE 9MR in general. Are the 80ish type numbers the norm. I had 100 in there all the way down from the previous tune (it was a used car).

Another weird question what dose overboost feel or sound like?

What does hitting the Boost Cut feel or sound like?

I set the BoostCut table to what seemed like lowerish numbers. They were all 319s. I was doing this, because I was trying to protect the car. I wonder if I hit this Boost Cut during my first pull or not.

M
Old Jun 2, 2009 | 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

What did you set the boost cut too? Boost cut feels like someone just shoved your head into the dash! Not a pleasant feeling but you know you hit it!
Old Jun 2, 2009 | 07:36 AM

Also what do the typical numbers in the WGDC table(s) look like for a TBE 9MR in general. Are the 80ish type numbers the norm. I had 100 in there all the way down from the previous tune (it was a used car).

with 80 across the board from 3000 to redline i see 26 psi down to 20. NOTE: this is with load based. but all cars are different. u should change ur boost cut numbers i dont hit anywhere near 319 load.

anyone these tables for 88580014 or know where i can get it?

Thanks
bump for help!
Old Jun 2, 2009 | 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

I am under the impression that the boost cut would be initiated by the BoostCutLoad table I included in the #677 post. ?

I have BCL values form 265 on down. (they were 319 before I started this process)
When I did my first pull with those values, AND 80s in the WGDC tables it felt like I blew and IC hose off. I was wondering if that was boost cut. I couldn't tell from the log I was taking at that time, because I also got off throttle right away.

I am also a little fuzzy on if I should be setting my boost curve with the Baseline Boost table ( I have 24.6 and then tapering down as RPMs rise), or if I should be setting the curve via the WGDC table.

I am curious what values folks typically have in those tables (WGDC, BaselineBoost) with roughly my setup just as a reference point. TBE 9MR.

Nonschlot:
Your comment about TPS being off is interesting. What would account for that? Could I have something physically or mechanically wrong where the sensor is returning 63% and the car thinks something else, like WOT? Throttle has always been weird and touchy for me on this car (compared to my previous WRX).
Or is there another tuning value that would create that scenario.

Thanks for any and all help comments.
Old Jun 2, 2009 | 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=mbartel;7125366]I am under the impression that the boost cut would be initiated by the BoostCutLoad table I included in the #677 post. ?

I have BCL values form 265 on down. (they were 319 before I started this process)
When I did my first pull with those values, AND 80s in the WGDC tables it felt like I blew and IC hose off. I was wondering if that was boost cut. I couldn't tell from the log I was taking at that time, because I also got off throttle right away.

I am also a little fuzzy on if I should be setting my boost curve with the Baseline Boost table ( I have 24.6 and then tapering down as RPMs rise), or if I should be setting the curve via the WGDC table.

I am curious what values folks typically have in those tables (WGDC, BaselineBoost) with roughly my setup just as a reference point. TBE 9MR.

Nonschlot:
Your comment about TPS being off is interesting. What would account for that? Could I have something physically or mechanically wrong where the sensor is returning 63% and the car thinks something else, like WOT? Throttle has always been weird and touchy for me on this car (compared to my previous WRX).
Or is there another tuning value that would create that scenario.

Thanks for any and all help comments.[/QUOTE

try this:

WGDC Map = 100% till 2500 rpm, then 80% @ 3000 rpm, then 77-78% @ 3500, all the way down to 7500 rpm. Set all 3 the same, or it looks like you have the patch for the high/low gear Boost/WGDC maps, so set both those the same...

Baseline Boost tables (all 3 the same/ or refer to ^^) You have it set at 24.6 from 500 rpm, till onset of boost. I find that you will see better spool up, if you set up your Baseline Boost tables to what you actually see logging at each rpm, (during spool up) rather than have 24.6, where you will only see (ex.) 14 psi @ 3000. This way your not seeing -3 correction till the onset of boost... Hope that makes sense...
For ex. My car see's ~5 psi @ 2500, so I set 2500 up w/ 5.5 psi in the map, then @ 3000, I see ~13.5 - 14 psi, so I set it up w/ 14 psi in the map, etc.

You set up your Baseline Boost tables to set up your "curve", but utilize WGDC to achieve/control boost.

You set up your boost cut table by logging the load that your seeing @ each rpm point. I see a max of 305, so I set up my BCL table as such. 310, and taper downward. Basically whatever load your hitting, give it ~ 5 more load points. Hitting boost cut will sorta feel like hitting a brick wall, or like you said, your LICP blew off.

My WGDC/Boost tables are set up like I recommended to you, only difference is I need in the low 70's to hit my peak boost. Same concept. I can almost gaurantee that you will see better spool up this way! The less the ECU has to work, the better/smoother the car will feel!

As far as the TPS, Im not sure, but I would guess that maybe its .xml related... What version of evoscan are you running? I have heard of ppl having a slight issue w/ TPS reading 14% @ idle, and like 98-99% when @ WOT (100%), but I have not seen this... Did anyone else notice this???

You were saying that the throttle hasnt exactly been smooth w/ your evo... Possibly because of all the corrections going on.

Go into evoscan, set up your logging parameters like I recommended, post up a NEW log w/ the boost tables set up as recommended, log TPS/RPM/WGDC/BOOST/BOOST ERROR/AFR/KNOCK/WGDC CORRECTION and you can then follow the path, that your boost is taking. You will, then be able to see how much the ecu is correcting, and make the adjustments...

Last edited by nonschlont; Jun 2, 2009 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: how-to: ECU-based direct boost control