Notices
ECU Flash

how-to: ECU-based direct boost control

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2007 | 09:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by nj1266
mrfred,

Why did you set-up the range on the BEC table from 3.1 to -3.1? Why not use the stock range? Just curious

When I modified the xml file, I noticed that the TBEC table (the one that I use for load based boost) also changed its range. I had to make two xml files/base files and swap them around to get around this issue.
Remember that we are working in psi now instead of load. The left side of the new BEC table is now in psi (as indicated in the table) instead of load. -3.1 to +3.1 psi is approximately equivalent to the stock range of -20 to +20 load (figure that 20 load = 2 psi).

If all you did was modify the two xml files and *not the ROM itself*, the TBEC should look exactly the same when you open it using the modified xml files. If it doesn't look the same, then you make a mistake somewhere in preparing the xml files.

Remember that the TBEC table no longer matters when you switch to the direct boost system. When changes are made to the BEC table, the TBEC table will also change. Don't try to change the TBEC table back after making changes to the BEC table. Ignore the TBEC table completely when working on a ROM that has been converted to direct boost control.
Old Sep 14, 2007 | 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Remember that we are working in psi now instead of load. The left side of the new BEC table is now in psi (as indicated in the table) instead of load. -3.1 to +3.1 psi is approximately equivalent to the stock range of -20 to +20 load (figure that 20 load = 2 psi).
Got it.

If all you did was modify the two xml files and *not the ROM itself*, the TBEC should look exactly the same when you open it using the modified xml files. If it doesn't look the same, then you make a mistake somewhere in preparing the xml files.
The BEC and TBEC tables looked the same after modifying the xml file. What I want is to make them look different, ie, the TBEC looks like stock and the BEC looks the way you made it. Is there a way to do that using the same xml file and base9 xml file? I am guessing that there isn't a way and I will have to swap xml files when using the load method vs. the psi method to control boost.
Old Sep 14, 2007 | 09:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

When changes are made to the BEC table, the TBEC table will also change. Don't try to change the TBEC table back after making changes to the BEC table. Ignore the TBEC table completely when working on a ROM that has been converted to direct boost control.
Does this happen on the fly, dynmically by the ECU? i.e. does the ECU use the BEC table and equate the new TBEC values as it needs to? or does the ECU just disregard the TBEC table? I think that is what NJ is getting at.
Old Sep 14, 2007 | 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

After going back to load based control from the boost based control, my TBEC table still has PSI error values. I had to remove the scalings added to the Evo9base file to correct this. I think this is the same issue NJ has.
Old Sep 14, 2007 | 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
After going back to load based control from the boost based control, my TBEC table still has PSI error values. I had to remove the scalings added to the Evo9base file to correct this. I think this is the same issue NJ has.
Yup, that is the issue that I am having. That is why I am swapping xml files. I have two xml files (base and 015) for load and two xml files (base and 015) for psi. I know I only need to swap the base, but I made two of each becuase it looks cleaner that way. I tune other Evos that do not have a JDMMAP and I do not want to clutter their rom with unneccesary tables.
Old Sep 14, 2007 | 11:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Yup, that is the issue that I am having. That is why I am swapping xml files. I have two xml files (base and 015) for load and two xml files (base and 015) for psi. I know I only need to swap the base, but I made two of each becuase it looks cleaner that way. I tune other Evos that do not have a JDMMAP and I do not want to clutter their rom with unneccesary tables.
I set it up so that its not necessary to swap out the xml files. If you are using the modified xml files and you are tuning a load-based boost system, then ignore my new tables. If you are tuning a direct boost control system, then ignore the TBEC, BCLO, and BDEL tables.

If you want to switch back to load-based boost control after trying the direct boost control, then you'll need to undo all the changes that were made to the ROM *but not the xml files*. Or, you can keep a copy of your load-based boost control ROM, and load that ROM into your ECU. No need to swap out the xml files when this is done.

Hope that makes sense.

EDIT: I just want to clarify that the ECUFlash xml files are only used to represent data in the ROM file. Adding the new entries to the xml files does not actually add any data to the ROM. What I do is highjack the TBEC, BCLO, and BDEL data in the ROM, rescale it, and use it for the new BEC, BA, and BB tables.

Last edited by mrfred; Sep 14, 2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2007 | 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

I know the ROM data is the same, but the changes to the base XML changes the scaling on the stock TBEC table to psi error. The only way to change the scaling back to load error is to change the base XML. Try it yourself.
Old Sep 14, 2007 | 02:18 PM
EvoM Guru

I know the ROM data is the same, but the changes to the base XML changes the scaling on the stock TBEC table to psi error. The only way to change the scaling back to load error is to change the base XML. Try it yourself.
Ah, I see what happened. I just fixed the problem in the instructions. Please recopy the new scaling definitions in the instructions in the first post into your "base" xml file, and then the TBEC table will have the correct scaling.
Old Sep 14, 2007 | 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

That is what I am trying to communicate to mrfred. When we add the code that he gave us to the base xml file, the stock TBEC left column changes from load values to psi values. It becomes the same as the new BEC table.
Old Sep 14, 2007 | 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, I see what happened. I just fixed the problem in the instructions. Please recopy the new scaling definitions in the instructions in the first post into your "base" xml file, and then the TBEC table will have the correct scaling.
Thanks mrfred
Old Sep 14, 2007 | 02:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Thanks mrfred
Yeah, sorry about that. I had changed a bunch of the names of the original scaling definitions in my base xml file and hadn't realized that the name I used for BEC scaling matched the original TBEC scaling name. The TBEC table will have its original scaling now.

Last edited by mrfred; Sep 14, 2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2007 | 04:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I am playing with this in 1.31 and some of the tables arent working, specifically boost error correction, boost adder and the baseline boost tables. None will let me enter in values nor do they display stock values. I know 1.31 isnt supported just wondering if anyone has seen this.

Also does anyone have the mitsulogger definitions?
Old Sep 14, 2007 | 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

A little OT, and not trying to thread jack but....

I'm liking this direct boost control thing, and being that it relies on having a JDM MAP sensor, I'm wondering when I might be able to order another one from 'mrfred' for a backup in case mine fails for some reason.

I know this has been asked in the JDM MAP thread, but just thought I'd mention it here... hee hee.
Old Sep 14, 2007 | 09:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RedV
A little OT, and not trying to thread jack but....

I'm liking this direct boost control thing, and being that it relies on having a JDM MAP sensor, I'm wondering when I might be able to order another one from 'mrfred' for a backup in case mine fails for some reason.

I know this has been asked in the JDM MAP thread, but just thought I'd mention it here... hee hee.
Just let me know when you are ready to get another.
Old Sep 14, 2007 | 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Alternatively, you could change the zeros at -1.4, -2.0, and -3.0 psi to 1's or 2's, but I don't recommend this because it can lead to boost overshoot during spool. I think its better to have a BWGDC curve that provides the desired boost with minimal corrections.
I want to ask what it means to add 1's in the cells adjacent to -1.4, -2.0 and -3.1 psi. The right column is referring to WGDC change. What is the 1 changing? Is it a percentage? Is it adding 1% to the WGDC?

I ask because I am still getting less than desired boost even though I add to my WGDC.

Last edited by nj1266; Sep 14, 2007 at 11:06 PM.

Quick Reply: how-to: ECU-based direct boost control