Notices
ECU Flash

how-to: ECU-based direct boost control

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2007 | 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

I have uploaded logs to that Dir. The first log is a few pulls with correction off. The next log is correction turned on.

Is there any way to make it so that the three BWGDC maps in the ECU are used for gears 1&2, 3, 4&5. Instead of just normal operation, limp mode, and warm up.

It would be awesome to have gear dependent boost or at least 3 maps for low gears, middle gear, and high gear. That would allow you to get more consistent boost across gears.

Although, like you suggested - I can probably achieve much better boost with more time tunning rather then new ECU mods.

Last edited by dudical26; Oct 2, 2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2007 | 02:29 AM
Evolved Member

I made this post in another thread and though i would post it here too. It has to do with pis based boost control and elevation.

I thought of this too.

If you live at sea level and use 14.7 as your boost adder, so with 20lbs of boost and atmosphere your at 34.7 absolute. When you go to 2000ft. the atmosphere is 13.7. so if if you need 34.7 absolute and atmosphere takes off 13.7, then you need 21.lbs of boost, which is a lbs more then at sea level.

keypoints

- a lbs of boost isnt that much. if you travel between sea level and 2000, set the boost adder to something like 14.2, It would be perfect @ 1000ft, then you only be 0.5 lbs lower @ sea level and 0.5 higher @ 2000. also if you travel between seal level and 2000ft, but are by sea level alot more, then set it to 14.4-.5. you'll be perfect @ 500 and only .2-.3 lower at sea level, etc.

- you really shouldn't try to correct boost when its only .1-.6lbs off. On my correction map, it doesnt start correcting boost till 0.8 off +/-. this still maintains a good curve, gets rid of too much correction and allow some space for elevation changes without sending the correction into a frenzy.

-you may think if you went to say 5000 ft it would probably overboost. It would try, but up there, with the thin air, it wont with your WGDC numbers made at sea level, 1000ft, etc.
Old Oct 6, 2007 | 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

I've got a few questions regarding mrfred's BWGD or MWGD tables.

1. Are Max Wastegate Duty tables just renamed to Baseline Wastegate Duty?

2. mrfred's BWGD tables are rescaled - I'm not 100% on how to change these values. Can I just replace the RPM values with RPM values that I choose or do I have to make changes to the scaling or create a new scaling to get more resolution in areas that I'm interested in like what the tables look like below.

3. I got my AEM boost solenoid to work with the ECU today and am planning on using it as it is capable of higher that stock boost without pills or bleeders. Similar to the GM 3-port. Do you think this method would be a good strategy to use in combination with an aftermarket solenoid?

Old Oct 7, 2007 | 01:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Yes, BWGDC = MWGDC. "Max" is not the correct description, so I changed it in my definitions.
Old Oct 7, 2007 | 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Answers in red

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
I've got a few questions regarding mrfred's BWGD or MWGD tables.

1. Are Max Wastegate Duty tables just renamed to Baseline Wastegate Duty?
Yes

2. mrfred's BWGD tables are rescaled - I'm not 100% on how to change these values. Can I just replace the RPM values with RPM values that I choose YES or do I have to make changes to the scaling or create a new scaling to get more resolution in areas that I'm interested in like what the tables look like below.

3. I got my AEM boost solenoid to work with the ECU today and am planning on using it as it is capable of higher that stock boost without pills or bleeders. Similar to the GM 3-port. Do you think this method would be a good strategy to use in combination with an aftermarket solenoid?

You should tune in the same way you would with a GM solenoid.
Old Oct 8, 2007 | 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
Answers in red
Thank You!

Ok, Here's where I'm at right now. I did quite a bit of logging / tuning on Saturday with my new AEM solenoid using this direct boost control method. I have not enabled correction yet as I've been primarily working on my BWGD first.

First thing that I've noticed is that my torque is down about 20ft/lbs but my 3rd gear load is also low at boost onset? Second thing, is that my car still overboosts in 6th gear but not in 5th.. I added about 1/2 a point of fuel to my map to eliminate knock that started appearing in all gears. The new solenoid is more erratic than the OEM solenoid but I think it can be better tuned so I'll work with it right now. Previously my fuel was at 12.5 at load spike and richening gradually to 11.1 at redline. I richened to 11.5 at spike richening to 11.1 at redline for safety and to eliminate some knock.

1. Since my correction map is zero'd out - does BDEL or baseline boost still have any affect or is it solely running on the duty tables?

2. Previously my 2byte Load would spike to around 270 and then taper.. I'm having trouble getting my load to 270.. should I just keep adding duty until I reach my target?

3. I'm currently overboosting in 6th gear (25psi), If I add more duty then I fear that it will worsen the over boosting. Will error correction have enough range to correct this?

4. Does my boost map look close enough to start applying corretion or should I work on my duty % some more first.

5. Look how erratic the solenoid gets in 6th gear.. Any suggestions or will error control help with this?

Here are my current boost settings along with 3rd-6th gear logs and power.. 5th and 6th were done to check boost levels and knock.

3rd Gear

4th Gear

5th Gear

6th Gear

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Oct 8, 2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2007 | 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

From what I can tell you are off the target boost. Your target boost is 23.5 psi, but your boosting to 22 psi in 3rd and 4th and 21.6 in 5th. So you are off by 1.5 psi in 3rd and 4th and 1.9 psi in 5th. In 6th gear you above your target by 1.4 psi.

You should narrow that down to about +/- 0.5 psi.

When you use the direct boost control method, your BDEL tables become meaningless.
Old Oct 8, 2007 | 10:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Error correction is vital to this method and will help in lower gears and higher gears to increase/decrease boost to target.

I have found increasing WGDC resolution RPM helps with the 3ports. Logging error correction also helps with this method as well.
Old Oct 8, 2007 | 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
From what I can tell you are off the target boost. Your target boost is 23.5 psi, but your boosting to 22 psi in 3rd and 4th and 21.6 in 5th. So you are off by 1.5 psi in 3rd and 4th and 1.9 psi in 5th. In 6th gear you above your target by 1.4 psi.

You should narrow that down to about +/- 0.5 psi.

When you use the direct boost control method, your BDEL tables become meaningless.
BDEL is just normal ECU scaling of Baseline Boost - they are relative. My question is if they have any meaning while correction is zero'd out?

Originally Posted by nj1266
you are off by 1.5 psi in 3rd and 4th and 1.9 psi in 5th. In 6th gear you above your target by 1.4 psi.
Right, so I'm about in the midpoint through all of the gears. If I get closer to target 3rd, 4th, and 5th then I'll really be overshooting in 6th. That's one of the reasons why I posted. I am going to rescale the duty maps today and see what that brings. Also, I'm 65ft above sea level and really should be closer to 14.7 except that when it's set to 14.7 my load is negative at idle so I had to change the boost adder to 14.6 but my AEM truboost (map based) gauge is reading .6 higher than the jdm map. So, I'm going to rescale and fine tune. I may lower my baseline or BDEL so that I can achive true target boost (23.5).
Old Oct 8, 2007 | 11:18 AM
EvoM Guru

You do not touch BDEL with this method. Yes it will change with your baseline boost changing. But you do not touch BDEL at all with this method.

You should really turn on Error Correction as it is vital with this method. Instead of trying to correct and hit a certain load, it is correcting to hit a certain PSIa. Logging boost error will also help with you tuning it as you will see exactly what is going on.
Old Oct 8, 2007 | 01:03 PM
EvoM Guru

What nj and razorlab said, and I'll add a quick summary on my recommended tuning process:

1) Disable the error correction and tune the BWGDC (MWGDC) tables until you reach your target boost profile in 3rd gear only. No need to mess with other gears during this process. Get it as close as you can. As nj said, within +/- 0.5 psi of your target boost is a good goal.

2) Reenable the error correction and see how well it works in 3rd gear. Boost should still be right on the money. Then try 4th gear. The error correction should kick in and keep the boost at your target value. Also try some mid-rpm WOT runs in various gears. You can try my error correction settings as a start, but since you are using different boost control hardware, you may end up having to change the correction table and interval to better suit your setup.
Old Oct 8, 2007 | 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Yea, boost is logged. I'm just doing preliminary adjustments prior to turning on the error correction. Really I'm just trying to get it very close before even asking the ECU to correct it so it doesnt have as much correction to do. In fact correction and all of that stuff is logged to. I just havent figured out how to add it to my Data Log Lab definition yet.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Oct 8, 2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2007 | 01:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Yea, boost is logged. I'm just doing preliminary adjustments prior to turning on the error correction. Really I'm just trying to get it very close before even asking the ECU to correct it so it doesnt have as much correction to do.
That's good but as mrfred said you should just do that in 3rd as lower and higher gears depend on error correction.

You are logging boost error as well as boost?
Old Oct 8, 2007 | 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, WGDC, WGDC Correction, JDMMap, and Boost Error. I really just got started with the new setup. edited...

This solenoid is not on the stock lines.. it's just between the compressor housing and the wastegate bleeding to atmosphere. I'm not sure if port 3 can be ran back into the intake or not. I think I tried that once and it made the car run weird.

The 4th gear log on here was a mid rpm WOT.. looks like the AEM caught the spike as it's pretty small. Overall I just need to work with it a little more. I only had an hour to play with it that day and had to fix some other things as well while I was out there.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Oct 8, 2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2007 | 01:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Yea, boost is logged. I'm just doing preliminary adjustments prior to turning on the error correction. Really I'm just trying to get it very close before even asking the ECU to correct it so it doesnt have as much correction to do. In fact correction and all of that stuff is logged to. I just havent figured out how to add it to my Data Log Lab definition yet.
Just want to emphasize that without error correction enabled, the car will reach higher boost levels in higher gears. Its the nature of this setup. That's why its important to set the BWGDC tables using only one particular gear. The error correction will take care of the other gears for you.

Quick Reply: how-to: ECU-based direct boost control