Notices
ECU Flash

PATCH: NLTS + Valet + KnockCEL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JB can you help me get this mod into my rom?

lill help?
Old Oct 8, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bnice01
again every car is different, or course if your NLTS its not going to really affect with that difference (2500 or 1500). We are talking about regular speed shifting with NTLS enable

too much of drop when speed shifting (not NTLS) will hurt if you know what i mean. some people like be able to NTLS or speed shift with it enable, kind of the best of both worlds.

on a 6 speed more than 1k will be to much of a drop
The point where the most severe drivetrain shock would be is when you abruptly jump from a high rpm at the end of one gear to a lower rpm in the next gear. No matter how high you set your rpm setting, the next gear is gonna start at the same rpm regardless. All you are doing is basically adding strain to the drivetrain. The beauty of the NLTS is that you can have it decel as close to the rpm starting point of the next gear to minimize drivetrain shock. Seeing as I would roughly drop 1500rpm from gear-to-gear on my 5 speed I would never set it greater than 1500rpm, nor would i want to have it set much less than 1500rpm either.

To each his own really but thats just my philosophy. I use it as a drivetrain 'saver' and a shifting aid at the same time

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Its not "hard" compared to normal shifting but it just takes time to retrain yourself to NOT LIFT.
+1 I have done a bunch of 1-2 stationary rev(its not a 'true' 2-step guys)/NLTS pulls and it just takes a few times to retrain yourself.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
The point where the most severe drivetrain shock would be is when you abruptly jump from a high rpm at the end of one gear to a lower rpm in the next gear. No matter how high you set your rpm setting, the next gear is gonna start at the same rpm regardless. All you are doing is basically adding strain to the drivetrain. The beauty of the NLTS is that you can have it decel as close to the rpm starting point of the next gear to minimize drivetrain shock. Seeing as I would roughly drop 1500rpm from gear-to-gear on my 5 speed I would never set it greater than 1500rpm, nor would i want to have it set much less than 1500rpm either.

To each his own really but thats just my philosophy. I use it as a drivetrain 'saver' and a shifting aid at the same time

+1 I have done a bunch of 1-2 stationary rev(its not a 'true' 2-step guys)/NLTS pulls and it just takes a few times to retrain yourself.
nevermind we are talking about 2 different things (i understand NLTS and understand the beauty of it) , i was talking about some people having NTLS enable but just normal speed shifting (taking there foot off the gas). with 2 much of a drop it will hit a wall after you engage the next gear with the gas pedal down. like the six speeds you dont need to much of drop.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bnice01
nevermind we are talking about 2 different things (i understand NLTS and understand the beauty of it) , i was talking about some people having NTLS enable but just normal speed shifting (taking there foot off the gas). with 2 much of a drop it will hit a wall after you engage the next gear with the gas pedal down. like the six speeds you dont need to much of drop.
Ahh, gotcha!
Old Oct 8, 2007, 02:27 PM

I testet v2 of 88840016, and it worked fine, but again I think I experienced a short flash. I also think it might have when I lifted the foot off the gas pedal. Is that a smal "bug" in the programming, that if the TPS goes below the set threashold, it stops flashing? Isn't that the same error that was fixed in v2?

It would be nice with a description of the bugs & version changes in the first post..
Old Oct 8, 2007, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

If you shift quick enough your shifts should be .1-.2 tops, and my actual rpm drop at fuel cut was less than 400 each drop. But I logged today and am getting the knock after each NLTS shift, I logged third and fourth individually and was only getting random 1-2 counts, but with the NLTS i was getting steady 7-6-down to 0 after timing pulled, any suggestions for fixing that?
Old Oct 8, 2007, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine did the same thing this afternoon during logging, pulls were strong and knock free except for the nlts point.... i havent tried it, but how about pulling timing at the 1 or 2 load cells it hits while shifting.... if i remember right, off hand, its like 140 to 160 range which you shouldnt see those cells anyway so who cares what the timing is there
Old Oct 8, 2007, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
We went and tested 96420008 on my friends 8 and had some severe issues. The car is tuned with no knock at 26psi on pump, cammed, 4"IC, etc. but when he'd NLTS we got some really bad knock that would sustain and turn into a downward spiral. Turn off the NLTS and it was okay. I am talking 36 counts type of knock between shifts and it would decay to 15 or so and hold. I think some of it might be that his car didnt react well to having the rpm drop so close so I am gonna open that up and retest.

Anyone with an 8 have similar issues?
Old Oct 8, 2007, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine was like that JB, just the knock count was around 7 or 8, not 30's lol
Old Oct 8, 2007, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

My car gets 5-7 counts and it rapidly decays just like the factory 2 step decays after a launch. This was HARD knock and would start on the NLTS, and decay but carry through to the next gear. The driver is a mobile knock detector, seriously he can feel the car at 2-3 counts where the knocklight isnt even flashing. I am sure its my issue more than the software, I am just trying to see if anyone else was running into it.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

I just went and retuned my car for 24psi on 93 and tested for knock during NLTS since you are having an issue. Sadly, I can't help since my car isn't experiencing any knock between shifts. Sorry
Old Oct 8, 2007, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not getting any knock anywhere using 94170008.... I have yet to launch the car with this ROM.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

I think its the guys knock sensor or some of his ancillary mods that are causing the issue. My IX is more or less gold, and when I went and rechecked I have 1-2 counts for the most part and the occasional spike to 5 or so. This 8 was just having all sorts of trouble.

I am not blaming the NLTS, I am thinking its something else. I am gonna open the rpm drop from 125 like I have mine to 500rpm or so and see if it doesnt fix it.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I am not blaming the NLTS, I am thinking its something else. I am gonna open the rpm drop from 125 like I have mine to 500rpm or so and see if it doesnt fix it.

That's probably the issue....why do you have it so small?

Bouncing off a rev limiter can induce knock for sure. Drop it down a bit. Actually, it makes no sense to have it any smaller than what the gear is going to come in at.

Eric
Old Oct 8, 2007, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Fooling around with it and on my car it actually works really well at 7K+ shifts but I also have an MR and he has an 8 GSR. I am logging like a 2 psi drop with it tight like that and have been testing it to see if it will work for a Rally car I am going to be doing before too long.

Apparently I am wrong and have to adapt...thats okay too

Quick Reply: PATCH: NLTS + Valet + KnockCEL