ECU Flash

Standard Rom Versions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2007, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So can any one say definitivly if we should use 94170014, 94170015, or 94170008

Lets pick one and use that from now on.

It would be so much better to have only 3 roms instead of all those that are out there now
Old Sep 26, 2007, 08:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
it would certainly be nice - although from a coding perspective the ROM's arn't all that different, ie all the memory pointers are very similar.

still it does take time to verify/patch each one ...

I presume the later # means more up-to-date code
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I know these roms are interchangeable but I've said this before and I will say this again, the Test Engineer in me says work with whatever rom you have in the car. Tephra and others who have been doing the mods are able to figure out how to move to the patch over to your specific rom when the time is right. What might be useful, is to have them work on the most popular version of the roms first, and then branch out to the other ones but I think just limiting it to certain roms isn't too particularly beneficial (not to mention the fact that these guys are doing it on their own time so they can opt to do it in whatever order they feel like and everyone can sit on their hands until its done ).

The problem with moving roms around into hardware they weren't built for could potentially (underline the could) lead to minuscule problems and in the long run end up with some of the posts we get here on this forum where "hmm this works for 2390329032032 other people but just not me" type situations.

Just my 20cents.

Last edited by codgi; Sep 26, 2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I prefer to give the man some extra donation for the extra time involved working on ID's not commonly seen, that way everyone is still happy. Furthermore most of us with these ID's that use ECUflash don't even know what version 15 is or if there is any drawback in it's use.

I searched my ROM ID on this forum several month's back, it was posted once, the others were in my text.

Originally Posted by codgi
What might be useful, is to have them work on the most popular version of the roms first, and then branch out to the other ones .
This is what has been done in the past with address locations for two 2byte, thanks to JSCbanks I got the addresses and I passed it along to several others too. I dont mind waiting

Last edited by C6C6CH3vo; Sep 26, 2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
agree for unique romid's.

but i think we are talking about going from 94170014 to 94170015 or 88580013 to 88590015...
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
agree for unique romid's.

but i think we are talking about going from 94170014 to 94170015 or 88580013 to 88590015...
Yes but the potential for something to go wrong is still there. I run a popular 2005 rom, but I have to look out for others on here who don't.

This is a honest question, has anyone done a full diff on the various variations of these roms and found out exactly where they are different, and why?

Tephra you can correct me if I am wrong, but the largest amount of time for any of these mods is spent devising the original modification (what to look for, where to find it). Once that has been done, moving it to the other roms is a lot easier because you have idea of what you have to look for (to find it). So once again, it seems as though the time being "saved" is the smaller of the two .
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

I can see what you guys are saying about having individual roms, but Evo 9's for example will run on ver 13, 14, or 15.

Its just a matter of how long your car was sitting at the dealer for, if was a while then it was updated with the most recent rom.

I just think it would allow programs to spend their time making new code rather than just porting code to every rom out there.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Some things I have noticed about 15 vs 13. I have used 13 since 1.28 (or whatever it was) was released for the IX's. When it came time for bigger injectors and it looked like it wasnt possible to scale I figured out how to make it scale. One thing that has always plagued me is cold start high rev. The car will go to 2K no matter what unless I drop the timing way down. I switched over to 15 last night with the NLTS patch and this morning it went exactly to the rpm I have the idle set at modified by the ISC steps and then dropped as the car warmed up. It also warmed up faster?

Now here is the weird part, the car feels like its a little less crisp than it was when I flashed yesterday morning with my latest revision of a 13 ROM. I am sure its in my head, but I think alot (other than the time involved) of guys have or will have similar feelings switching. Then again, I havent ever had any weird CEL not that I expect them now.

I am with Dudical on keeping it simple. If there are only a few basic ROMS being developed it will allow David more time to dream out and implement some craziness instead of reverse engineering every possible combination. Looking at the NLTS thread its not like he is being asked to patch ONLY usdm roms. There are requests globally (which I think is really cool) and every market share and every model variation therein. I am tempted to start flashing EDM and JDM roms and seeing if there is one universal rom just to make his job easier. I am thinking the EDM are probably the closest, but until I do it who knows.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Sep 27, 2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

For programs like Tephra, Mr. Fred, Bez, JSCBanks - would you guys all prefer to use standard roms. If so I can make a how to for people to switch from one rom version to another. That way we can get everyone over to the standard rom version.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

OK, not to stray off topic, but I just happen to see this thread and saw some information in here that I was going to search for....

I am meeting up with some friends this weekend, and there will be an 03 there with the P0300 code problem. He was asking if I could look into it, and fix the P0300 problem.

If I pull the map, and it's a 008 ROM, can I copy everything from the 008 ROM to the 94170015 ROM and have the P0300 eliminated?

If so, can someone e-mail me a stock/modified 94170015 ROM that I can have if that will solve the problem? I do not have a 94170015 ROM file...

e-mail thomas dot klemann at forceprotection dot net

Thanks to anyone who helps...
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:10 PM

I just want to let everyone know you can get 94170015 from www.aktivematrix.com in their download section under stock Evo roms. I directly replaced my 008 with 015 and it did help my P0300s. YMMV.

Mike
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

While you're at it. I think you should link to 100% stock roms of each corresponding type to be classified as "standard" roms.

There are guys picking up used evo's now that have been flashed without regard to preserving the stock file in any form. It can be a hard place to start if you ended up with a "shelf" tune. That just so happens to suck.

Honestly I think a 100% stock version of each variant should be preserved and commonly available to all. Just in case.

So what if you don't mod certain rom ID's anymore... having the stock versions of every type laying around isn't going to hurt anyone. You never know...
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Asmodeus6
While you're at it. I think you should link to 100% stock roms of each corresponding type to be classified as "standard" roms.

There are guys picking up used evo's now that have been flashed without regard to preserving the stock file in any form. It can be a hard place to start if you ended up with a "shelf" tune. That just so happens to suck.

Honestly I think a 100% stock version of each variant should be preserved and commonly available to all. Just in case.

So what if you don't mod certain rom ID's anymore... having the stock versions of every type laying around isn't going to hurt anyone. You never know...
www.aktivematrix.com Has set up part of their download section to do just this already.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I am with Dudical on keeping it simple. If there are only a few basic ROMS being developed it will allow David more time to dream out and implement some craziness instead of reverse engineering every possible combination. Looking at the NLTS thread its not like he is being asked to patch ONLY usdm roms. There are requests globally (which I think is really cool) and every market share and every model variation therein.
True but for something completely off the common ground (i.e not the uber popular ones) they can go directly to the modder and get that done. Thats what already happens right now. I mean I could partially buy this argument if that would stop those requests or stop them (the modders) from working on fulfilling them (of which it does neither in the end).

He's also not in the US so he works on his first and then ports it over to other roms. Which for other modders the same is true, they will start with what they have to hand which is usually their rom. So by saying "hmm we only are limiting ourselves to rom x" you actually introduce that tiny little extra delay in the original mod being shared with others because then they have to port it rom id x. For those with the modders rom, waiting on the patch for the "universal roms" has slowed down the mod for them .

I am tempted to start flashing EDM and JDM roms and seeing if there is one universal rom just to make his job easier. I am thinking the EDM are probably the closest, but until I do it who knows.
Some of the EDMs (from what I remember being posted here) have a different solenoid setup than the USDM cars for example. So a stock USDM boost control system may or may not work with those roms without changes. JDM for sure doesn't use the same MAP sensor, so for a USDM car without the JDM map sensor you'd have to go reverse the changes from the "log boost with JDM map sensor" post to get them to work (besides the point as mrfred points out elsewhere on this forum that that sensor might be used elsewhere in other JDM code).

Anyway I'll sit back and watch this one play out .

Last edited by codgi; Sep 27, 2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Well I know longer use the stock BCS and I do have the JDM MAP sensor so I could probably get away with some of it. It might not work well but I am curious if it will still work. The 888 series of EDM I have this uneducated feeling are going to be pretty close.

Quick Reply: Standard Rom Versions