Notices
ECU Flash

Cell AFR verus actual AFR?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PlanoEvo,
If you plan to alter your map based on it being a point or so low...

That is exactly the wrong approach. Setting your AFR based on a point or so above the stock map is a bad idea. There is a bunch of stuff that can stand between you and the afr you want. If you have a perfectly virgin evo in out the factory condition maybe. Throw in some mileage, maybe the injectors have clogged a bit. There are too many variables to be shooting in a dark room. Without a wideband its not good thinking to alter the map.

A number of nine owner's have found some inconsistency with their latencies from the factory, or at least that is what they think. I say that only to point out things that can go wrong in the dark. I suppose you could figure the ecu will switch to a lower octane map and cover a problem.
On a brighter line of thought, you have the right idea. Most evos come out with a little too much fuel.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 03:19 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzie604
Could it be that the DSMs(and conquests for that matter) WERE actually altered by every change to the system, only the computers were not developed enough to depend as strongly on the readings? I know that the data I got from mine was useless compared to what I now get, and the tuning was crude compared to an Evo. Being a vortex generating device that requires correct harmonics, I would think all Mitsu MAFs are to some extent affected by changes, just some less than others.
The 1g and 2g ecu's were every bit as advanced as the evo's. You can actually run an evo on a 2g ecu. They even share a lot of code and many of the things are done the same. I still have my 1g and and evo as well. My 1g ecu is fairly modded and I can do quite a few things and log everything under the sun. Just this past weekend I modded the ecu to accept a 0-5v wideband signal and do O2 feedback on it (thats right lean burn going down the highway). The other advantage is that I can log directly via the ecu wideband signals with all my other sensors. No additional cable etc.... In my experiences the evo and DSM's behave nearly exactly the same.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dan l
The 1g and 2g ecu's were every bit as advanced as the evo's. You can actually run an evo on a 2g ecu. They even share a lot of code and many of the things are done the same. I still have my 1g and and evo as well. My 1g ecu is fairly modded and I can do quite a few things and log everything under the sun. Just this past weekend I modded the ecu to accept a 0-5v wideband signal and do O2 feedback on it (thats right lean burn going down the highway). The other advantage is that I can log directly via the ecu wideband signals with all my other sensors. No additional cable etc.... In my experiences the evo and DSM's behave nearly exactly the same.
I think part of the problem in the evo community versus the dsm is lack of car guys versus guys with money and degrees....
Old Oct 3, 2007, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PlanoEvo
I think part of the problem in the evo community versus the dsm is lack of car guys versus guys with money and degrees....
Thats so true. I'm a DSM guy at heart so moving up to the evo was a logical transition, not a bank withdrawl. Kevin Jewer has been running his DSMlink'd ECU in his evo forever now and it was basically done because the 2G ecu was already disassembled quite a bit where as the evo ECU is just beginning to become an equal....almost,lol.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 08:30 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just food for thought

In the ecu itself the numbers range from 00 to FF which is 0 - 255 decimal

There are 255 steps in the fuel map

The values assigned in the program "ecu flash" are arbitrary values which the software writer has selected to corespond to the hex values

The fuel maps are estimated a/f target tables