Notices
ECU Flash

Evoscan 4th gear pull from last night... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boostedwrx
Its spiking to 1.5 on the stock guage maybe a little higher.

This leads me to believe he has no aftermarket boost gauge which is amazing considering how long you've been on these forums,lol.

I will occasionally get 1-3 counts of knock randomly on a pull but there is never any consistency to it. Its minimal amounts of knock and could possibly be mechanical noise half of the time. Your timing at peak load is roughly where mine is at 22.5psi (though a bit higher than the 3-4* everyone suggests on here). I don't see anything too crazy other than the screwy loadcalc readings. I would definitely do the 2-byte load mod to get more accurate results. And get a boost gauge

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Oct 8, 2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I did 4th gear pulls I would have to sell the car to afford insurance. Little fast for Washington's wet roads, rolling hills, and trees all over the place if you ask me
Old Oct 8, 2007, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Well its load calc not 2 byte load so I am kind of thinking that is some of the operational error. I think that the rest is probably an intake pipe setup that is less than accurate. I would guess maybe a Fujita or Injen based on the load error. Boosted since I know some of the background, I am really curious if you can post a COMPLETE mod list including boost gauge and all other mods that might affect what we see.

JB
Certainly JB thanks for taking a peak in my thread.

- 2.75 coated Blitz downpipe
- UR 3" test pipe
- Sunk2 3" catback
- 3 Powerflex mounts
- 94 Octane Cenex gas
- stock bcs pill modified
Everything else is stock - fuel pump, intake, factory ebc, etc etc.

Last edited by boostedwrx; Oct 8, 2007 at 08:16 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
If I did 4th gear pulls I would have to sell the car to afford insurance. Little fast for Washington's wet roads, rolling hills, and trees all over the place if you ask me

Maybe if your a city boy

Try (actually dont try because its where I go) Enumclaw, Black Diamond, etc. I even know some farmers who let me go WOT down their private paved roads.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something is fishy, the car shows to be making more power than a car with just an exhaust should produce. Do us a big favor and log the car from 2k-7K in 3rd or 4th instead of going WOT at 4k, you should be making peak boost at 3500, not 4200 unless the turbo is not stock. Did the tuner modify the stock bcs pill/lines for increased boost? Also, if you could do the 2byte mod so that we can see real load then that would be nice as well.

As far as what you've posted goes, I would pull a degree of timing just before the onset of knock and see if it gets rid of it - this will add some safety to your tune. Overall it looks ok though - but we dont have a full picture.. eg no wideband data, not a full pull. Does the car feel smooth when doing a pull? Real knock feels like a dead spot or plateau in the powerband. Also, I would log 5th and 6th gears to see what that knock looks like there. You dont have to go to redline or even go WOT. I've personally found that a tune that runs perfect 3rd and 4th WOT can have bad knock in 5th and 6th gear. Just cover your bases keep an eye on this one.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Oct 8, 2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Ah yea I forgot to mention the stock BCS was modified - crap! Thats the reason for the extra boost.

I'll check 5th and 6th today but I'm sure theyre fine and I hear yea with the wideband, I have an old LC1 but havent ever hooked it up.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

I had the day off so was able to get some more logs in. Maybe now I'll wash my car

Attached is a 3rd gear 2600rpm roll, 3rd gear 2700rpm roll, and a 2-3-4 wot run. All look pretty good I think. I saw my timing getting all the way down to 3 around peak load on a few of the runs but never any knock unless I'm looking at it wrong. I edited the colums on the logs to squeeze them together. If you guys are using Excel it will make it easier to read anyway...
Attached Files
File Type: zip
2600rpm34.zip (6.3 KB, 16 views)
2700rpm1knck.zip (3.9 KB, 7 views)
234zeroknock.zip (5.0 KB, 7 views)
Old Oct 8, 2007, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I dont see anything at all wrong with your tune, per se. Like we all mentioned, just do the 2 byte load mod and then see how your load calc differs. She seems to be running rather well from the data I can see.

Your power and torque graphs look nice and consistent too, roughly the same as mine do right now.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Oct 8, 2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, tune looks good. Good to see the timing going where it should be at peak load. That's what was making me scratch my head on your earlier logs but they were mid rpm WOT.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

I still can't get over your calculated load values. Here's my newest tune at 24psi with the mods listed in my sig. This is roughly where I'd expect to see your load values (I use 2 byte load so make sure you check ther box in evoscan to see load). Get yourself a real boost gauge and get that 2 byte load mod done so we can see the difference
Attached Files

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Oct 10, 2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, please excuse me but is my load too high meaning its bad? My DLL #'s don't look too impressive, most are around 333whp which is exactly what I dynoed at on a Dynapack dyno. Is my engine under a high load but not making good power or what? Or am I just being a bone?
Old Oct 10, 2007, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Your load suggests you are running much higher boost than you had originally claimed, that and 333whp is a lot for your mods at those boost levels....quite a lot in my opinion. I'm not sure how generous the dynopacks are though. I've self tuned my car well past my original dyno tuning at Turbotrix so I am very confident that my hp/torque #'s will far exceed my original dyno results...but I'd be rather impressed if i spit out 333whp with my list of mods (which exceeds yours too). Guys with TBE, high boost, intake and cams generally see 330-350whp, not so much with your mods. If its true, more power to ya! I just think its silly not to KNOW what boost you really are shoving down the throat of your own engine.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Oct 10, 2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Your load suggests you are running much higher boost than you had originally claimed, that and 333whp is a lot for your mods at those boost levels....quite a lot in my opinion. I'm not sure how generous the dynopacks are though. I've self tuned my car well past my original dyno tuning at Turbotrix so I am very confident that my hp/torque #'s will far exceed my original dyno results...but I'd be rather impressed if i spit out 333whp with my list of mods (which exceeds yours too). Guys with TBE, high boost, intake and cams generally see 330-350whp, not so much with your mods. If its true, more power to ya! I just think its silly not to KNOW what boost you really are shoving down the throat of your own engine.
Are you only talking about 03 Evos? I think I've seen a few 9's running 300+ with just exhaust on every type of dyno - DD, DJ, DP, MD.

At any rate I want to weigh my car and get it out to the track, athough I'm a little cautious about going back to the sticky track because I always seem to brake something (previous Evos). Street launches always seem so much more kind
Old Oct 10, 2007, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

56k sorry!

Heres some 3rd gear ones from last night when it was a little colder. Had time to take all the crap out of the csv file before I ran it through DLL too. I'm using 3050 weight because my tank was 1/2-3/4 full and I have mini battery and what not. My fat @ss is 250 so thats the weight # you see! It was also about 15 celsius not 20, but I played with the settings and the temp didnt change the graph or #'s at all. I left the scaling at 5 for everything too. What causes DLL to show the graph real jagged or spiked? Some of the graphs didnt really look like any of these, is it rough road or what? *EDIT* I clicked SAE correction and it lowered each graph by 2whp!

I didnt rev this one out... look liked I could have made more power up top.

Started this one late

Last edited by boostedwrx; Oct 10, 2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Log the airflow Hz value next time you go out and make some passes. If you have looked into and altered the 2 byte reporting values that would be great as well. With the airflow hz though we can figure out how much reporting error there is between actual load and what the calculated load is.

Quick Reply: Evoscan 4th gear pull from last night... thoughts?