Notices
ECU Flash

everyone replacing restrictor pill at WGA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2007, 09:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
everyone replacing restrictor pill at WGA?

Is the restrictor pill method for achieving more boost than stock accomplished by replacing the stock pill at the WGA with a different pill?
Old Oct 7, 2007, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Is the restrictor pill method for achieving more boost than stock accomplished by replacing the stock pill at the WGA .with a different pill?
That is how mine is setup. Replaced the stock wg pill, bcs pill remained untouched.

SQ
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have heard that if you remove the pill from the bcs side you'll get an additional 2 psi.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PlanoEvo
I have heard that if you remove the pill from the bcs side you'll get an additional 2 psi.
I have heard that it is not stable;More boost creep and harder to ecu control (I read this I am not saying it) Although I believe Works and Cobb change solenoid side(according to their tech article on their website)

Last edited by oldevodude; Oct 7, 2007 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added test
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:35 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Is the restrictor pill method for achieving more boost than stock accomplished by replacing the stock pill at the WGA with a different pill?
I believe the most common method is to replace the pill at the compressor outlet, not the WGA. In fact, I'm not even aware of a pill at the WGA...
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

I've noticed this too - but looking at what Jestr and Cobb are doing, they tell you to remove the pill at the solenoid and leave the pill at the source (compressor). I'm going to be trying this out. I have everything setup now and I'll be tuning this week. My setup isn't too relevant though - I'm running the twinscroll full-race kit.

Here is the Cobb paper that shows their setup - it's the blue highlighted text in Christian's post BTW
http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32958

Last edited by Max Power; Oct 7, 2007 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Fixed Link
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:54 PM
Account Disabled

The pill on the compressor housing side is replaced with a different pill. There is no pill in the WGA hose. There is a another pill on the solenoid side. From our testing we recommend leaving this in as it smooths everything out. With the solenoid side pill out and stock compressor side pill in, you do get an increase in boost but it will still taper up top and boost curves will not be as smooth and spikes are harder to control.

We offer upgraded compressor side boost pills pre-installed in 100% brand new OEM boost assemblies. This is the whole assembly from the solenoid side down to the compressor and WGA side, with MAF vent line as well. This offers a complete swap with your old boost assembly hose.

We also offer just the pill upgrade for people that want to replace the stock pill themselves or do not have a damaged or modified boost assembly.

Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Umm am I lost here??

First, is there a pill at the WGA??? I don't think so. I know we replace the pill near the turbo. I believe I made the how to.

What i don't understand is dont you already know about this?? I mean you have made a bunch of advancements in ecu boost control and this is kinda basic knowledge. ??? ???
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,051 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Kid

What i don't understand is dont you already know about this?? I mean you have made a bunch of advancements in ecu boost control and this is kinda basic knowledge. ??? ???
I believe mrfred is/was using the vishnu inline bleeder while using ecu controlled boost.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 01:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I believe mrfred is/was using the vishnu inline bleeder while using ecu controlled boost.
There passive emulator thing???

That kinda does explain it though.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've tried both methods. Removing the solenoid side pill increases boost ability but doesnt affect the taper issue and can cause boost spike issues especially at mid rpm WOT. I swapped the turbo side pill but that proved to be difficult to tune as well. I recently gave up on the stock boost line / pills and replaced the solenoid with an aftermarket solenoid that I already had (AEM). I've had the best smoothness and power with the solenoid pill removed but the biggest problem with removing just the solenoid pill is that if you go WOT at mid rpm 4000+ rpm you will have considerable boost overshoot and it makes me nervous.

As of this weekend I'm running a aftermarket boost solenoid (AEM) with the stock lines plugged off. So far this seems like the most tuneable setup but I've lost about 20ft/lbs of torque that I need to tune back in. The aftermarket solenoid doesnt overshoot boost at mid RPM WOT so thats a plus and it seems to hold more boost on the top end as well. Now just got to get enough spike at the low end to get my torque back.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My stock solenoid pill was only 1.2mm internal diameter, this meant I couldn't increase boost easily with just changing the turbo side pill. I now have a 1mm pill turbo side and 2mm pill solenoid side. car is a JDM VII.

MB
Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX

As of this weekend I'm running a aftermarket boost solenoid (AEM) with the stock lines plugged off. So far this seems like the most tuneable setup but I've lost about 20ft/lbs of torque that I need to tune back in. The aftermarket solenoid doesnt overshoot boost at mid RPM WOT so thats a plus and it seems to hold more boost on the top end as well. Now just got to get enough spike at the low end to get my torque back.
3port solenoids do work better than the stock boost assembly with an upgraded turbo side pill. They can hold more boost up top, espically on evo 9's. They are also more responsive and easier to tune.

However, for some people keeping the system fully stealth and looking 100% OEM is good.

We use the GM 3port solenoid and the stock boost assembly with upgraded pill with good results.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didnt realize the pills were still being used along with the 3 ports. Interesting. What effect do the pills have?
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
I didnt realize the pills were still being used along with the 3 ports. Interesting. What effect do the pills have?
We do not use the 3 ports with any pills. Just straight vac lines like a MBC.

Quick Reply: everyone replacing restrictor pill at WGA?