Notices
ECU Flash

ECUFlash Tune Milage and Mods

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2008, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have nothing against saving gas I just don't believe there are worth while gains to be had by leaning out cruise. I could be wrong so I'll duck out of this thread now.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wondered about the 5% I posted above from the change in AFR but felt it was at least a conservative estimate in raw fuel usage. (And yes, AFRs are measured with a wideband. Veta is right that trying to estimate 15.5 with a narrowband would not work well.) What I know for sure is that I've seen a good 10% mileage improvement and I thought that was a pretty good result.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by veta
I always see some pseudo "tuners" trying tune car using narrow band, and they cant hear me until they kill engine.
So sorry if i am too hard by trying to help, trying to explain that narrow band lambda cant be use for tuning another value else 14.7:1 what is she designed for.
Ok I think we have a miscommunication here. We are not saying we are tuning cruise AFR to leaner than Stoic by watching the narrowband. I would never touch cruise afr without a wideband WITH display so I can monitor AFR at all times.

What is it with people on this board that immediately think everyone is a "pseudo tuner" but themselves?
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
If you are in the loads that this effects you shouldn't be making any boost whatsoever, no matter what boost controller. If you are in boost you are already in higher load cells which would most likely make the car richer than stoic. ymmv depending on tune.

I had a chance to do another road trip down the long 5 freeway this week, the same trip I took earlier this year with the open loop trick that netted 25mpg. Without this open loop trick I averaged 24mpg.

Not really worth it to me. Others might have better results.
+1. This has been really agrivating me because I can see while crusing, my AFR's are right where I want them to be, right around low 15's. But, i have also noticed that with these changes, my AFR gets itself into some really wierd "swings" where it will be swinging around like it's trying to find itself back within it's range.

The best I have done so far was getting about 315 miles out of a tank, but that was crusing with a tailwind going downhill in slightly colder weather mst of the way from Asheboro, NC to Charleston, SC. I logged 243 miles on the trip, then the rest was city driving, but I still hit 315 before the gas light came on.

This mod with my 05 only was of marginal help. If I average it all out, I probably went from roughly 220 to 240 miles a tank. Yuck.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nothere
you can alter the open loop take over point and set the afr you want based on load or tps.

go back to posts 13 and on

Where is the control/map for the TPS? I don't recall reading about it. Then again, it's been awhile since I have been in ECUFlash forum too..
Old Jan 8, 2008, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tkklemann
Where is the control/map for the TPS? I don't recall reading about it. Then again, it's been awhile since I have been in ECUFlash forum too..
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=301396

the thread turned into lean cruise too. but there may be an answer for you there.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:04 PM

Ok, I just did my first tank of fuel since the changes and I went from 16 mph to just under 20 mpg. My driving is mixed cycle but with a lot of short hop drives.

I set both of my load maps to 40 and also advanced my low load timing by around 4 degrees filling up some odd holes and dips in the map that I think are there for emmissions reasons. The total timing doesnt exceed 40 degrees.

I havent logged any knock count either and noticed more manifold vacume under light load.

I am pretty pleased, I have gone from a super lame 12 mpg bone stock to nearly 20. Not bad.
I have a 2006 IX.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

I finally got around to tuning in the low load for nearly constant open loop.

A couple of observations , that many of you have already noticed, 1, even though my open loop was set in the forties (and the zeros, just as JB's posted map)it had the effect all the way into the high twenties. It did very briefly bounce around but for the most part kept steady. 2, This has the effect of totally overriding closed loop. My short and mid trims did not budge for about an hours worth of driving.

I have just now lowered the open loop into the twenties. From what I saw with the other map, it will be one less variable that needs to be tuned too without the closed loop budding in.

Has anyone who has had success with this alteration since decided it was not such a good idea?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Still works for me. I get an average of 18 around town driving in a fairly sane manner, 15 when I dont, and 26-28 on the highway if its flat open cruising. The worst I have seen recently was 25 over fairly uneven terrain where it required some boost while cruising. YRMV
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PlanoEvo
You can change the cruising blocks from 14.7 to 15.4 and this will result in a slightly leaner afr during cruise and give better mpg and have little or no affect on anything else.
except global warming
Old Apr 3, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

please please please don't inject political expressions, please
Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by red evo8
except global warming
How would running a car leaner increase global warming ?
Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Certain emissions do go up...NOx being one of them I believe. I dont think that its a significant increase but its still gases. The hydrocarbons drop obviously.

And for UCB, I missed your question the first time around but I am running FIC750's
Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
well the reduction of the amount of gas required to run the car far outweights the environmental impact..

i reckon anyways
Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

You also have 93 where you're at right JB?

-E

Quick Reply: ECUFlash Tune Milage and Mods