Notices
ECU Flash

What is wrong with this 04? Datalog Included..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is wrong with this 04? Datalog Included..

This is in addition to my other thread about the 2004 Evo where I had a Tooner scramble (Change the ECU ID) the map when I pulled it off.

This is a data log of the car, no hard pulls, just highway crusing. Basically, what the car is doing is uner highway crusing, he will give it a little gas, and the car will start to stutter real bad, and the more he pushes on the gas (To a certain extent, didn't want to go 100% when something isn't right) it gets worse. It's almost liek the car has some sort of "mini redline", as it feels like the car is bouncing off a redline, but obviously we are nowhere near there. The user's car is geminibby, hopefully he will get in here and describe it in more detail. To me, something looks wrong with the O2 sensors, as they are outputting seemingly wierd numbers.

If you look in the log, under the notes colums, where there is "XXXX"'s is exactly where the car was doing it. I could tell because I had a gage set-up in EVOScan, and was watching for something to coincide with the hesitation, and the O2 sensors readings were dropping off/getting pegged at certain values.

Could this be a data log of a failing O2 sensor? Please help! What is going on here?
Attached Files

Last edited by tkklemann; Oct 25, 2007 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Added information.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 05:05 AM
Evolving Member

my car used to do this as well, like a rapid fire missfire. Was really bad when I would get on and off the throttle but at low throttle inputs. Take a look at the fuel maps and the accell enrichment table. This is a transition problem. You go from 14.7 afr in closed loop to something crazy like low 9's at the open loop spot. I spent a week solid smoothing this particular transition spot to get rid of that damn "missfire". I have a feeling you have a map from the same tooner.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evovette
I have a feeling you have a map from the same tooner.
Yeah, me too.

Last edited by warp9; Oct 25, 2007 at 05:24 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

my car used to do this as well, like a rapid fire missfire. Was really bad when I would get on and off the throttle but at low throttle inputs. Take a look at the fuel maps and the accell enrichment table. This is a transition problem. You go from 14.7 afr in closed loop to something crazy like low 9's at the open loop spot. I spent a week solid smoothing this particular transition spot to get rid of that damn "missfire". I have a feeling you have a map from the same tooner.

Yes, the car is throwing P0300 codes for misfire.. That is what it does sound like..

Can you send me your map, so I can compare the two to see what is different?

my email is thomas.klemann at forceprotection dot net

That would help me out tremendously

Also, can you PM me the tooner, just out of curiosity?

Last edited by tkklemann; Oct 25, 2007 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Bacon & Eggs.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I accidently installed the wrong plugs one day and it ran fine off boost but the second I would increase the load it sputtered and stuff like you mentioned REAL bad. I obviously knew what i had done once this happened. Not sure if the plugs could be an issue here but it had the same symptoms so I figured I'd throw it out there.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 03:21 PM

Without having much exp on evos, and no wideband readings, I would guess your going way too rich. This happened to me in the FSAE car I work on. Ours was due to uneven manifold pressure though. Hope this helps.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd26/MrSwa/Graph.jpg

Last edited by MrSwa; Oct 25, 2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: link not working
Old Oct 25, 2007, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

My map wont do you any good at all. Your best bet is to go to activematrix.com Become a member and go to the download section. There is an unmolested 04 rom to start with. Better yet, download the Patched ROM from Tephra for an 04 and start from his unmolested ROM and get NLTS as a bonus! And then paypal him some money so a guy that actually does this community good can keep working to help us all. This original tooner really needs to find JESUS bro

edit: Ill send you the map from work in the morning just please dont load it in your car. The numbers will make you run lean unless you run a lot of meth like I do. Just pay attention to the transitions.

Last edited by evovette; Oct 25, 2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

thanks guys for your inputs. to give a little background info, when i first got utec and cams, i started getting the p300 code. when i finally got the utec tuned, the tuner said that i was getting the code really bad and to take it the dealership to get the new patch. got the patch (car hadnt been flashed yet) and it worked great. got the code next to never, and never really had any issues with the car.

fast forward a couple of years, this tuner said that the utec was holding back the car and that he could make it better with just ecuflash. he was reputable, so I took his advice. once the utec came off, i had all the boost leaks and my boost controller wasnt holding boost. however to top it off, the p300 was back and it was going to make up for lost time. i talked to the tuner about the code bc i could set my watch by it. once i got it i would get it about every 4 secs which told me it was ecu/electrical and not mechanical. this would go on for 10-30 mins (talking about getting fustrated), and it didnt matter, low/high rpm, low/high boost, i would get it.

MrSwa, actually I do have a wideband in the car and as strange as it sounds, it goes lean. Tom can verify that. The one bit of info that I know of that will through you all for a loop is, I use to have an EGT probe in the exhaust manifold. At times when i would get the code, afr would go lean, but my temps would drop to about 400F (not 400C) which tells me fuel was being dumped.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Believe me, I know the dangers of using someone elses map, which is why I generally avoid doing it. From his ROM, I transfered all of his maps over to a new ROM, the supposid fix for the P0300 code. It didn't make it go away, which is why I am thinking it might be something else now. I did notice his accel enrichment maps were changed from stock, and those maps are the ones that I am wondering about..
Old Oct 26, 2007, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So what was your original rom ID # and the second one you tried???
Old Oct 26, 2007, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My map wont do you any good at all. Your best bet is to go to activematrix.com Become a member and go to the download section. There is an unmolested 04 rom to start with. Better yet, download the Patched ROM from Tephra for an 04 and start from his unmolested ROM and get NLTS as a bonus! And then paypal him some money so a guy that actually does this community good can keep working to help us all. This original tooner really needs to find JESUS bro

edit: Ill send you the map from work in the morning just please dont load it in your car. The numbers will make you run lean unless you run a lot of meth like I do. Just pay attention to the transitions.
how do you pay attention to the transitions
Old Oct 27, 2007, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

By transition I mean the columns and rows as the car switches from closed loop into open loop. I also used to get the p300 code a lot. I used the smoothing function in the areas that I was getting the code and I have not got rid of the p300 but it only shows up once every 6 months. my old tooner map used to go from 14.7 afr down to 10 afr once it went into open loop. This is where I would get this rapid misfire. My gut tells me at wide open throttle this helped fatten up lean spool and thats why it was done. However at lower throttle but high RPM the car would transition into these rich spots and cause it to go very rich at low loads. Does that make any sense?
Old Oct 29, 2007, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Bump for some more Monday morning inputs...
Old Oct 29, 2007, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tkklemann
This is in addition to my other thread about the 2004 Evo where I had a Tooner scramble (Change the ECU ID) the map when I pulled it off.

This is a data log of the car, no hard pulls, just highway crusing. Basically, what the car is doing is uner highway crusing, he will give it a little gas, and the car will start to stutter real bad, and the more he pushes on the gas (To a certain extent, didn't want to go 100% when something isn't right) it gets worse. It's almost liek the car has some sort of "mini redline", as it feels like the car is bouncing off a redline, but obviously we are nowhere near there. The user's car is geminibby, hopefully he will get in here and describe it in more detail. To me, something looks wrong with the O2 sensors, as they are outputting seemingly wierd numbers.

If you look in the log, under the notes colums, where there is "XXXX"'s is exactly where the car was doing it. I could tell because I had a gage set-up in EVOScan, and was watching for something to coincide with the hesitation, and the O2 sensors readings were dropping off/getting pegged at certain values.

Could this be a data log of a failing O2 sensor? Please help! What is going on here?
This is very interesting I have been having this problem for a few months now off an on. Let me make sure it is the same thing though:

light load very little throttle input (like you are following people in traffic just trying to keep the pace or gap) with a very small change in throttle input it goes into machine gun missfire like a rev limiter correct? However, if you mash on it rather than just giving it a tiny amount of gas it runs fine correct?

I thought my issue was due to a bad extension harness (fields harness) Since it started when I was testing my haltech interceptor. I've been scrtching my head trying to figure out what the issue was, the fact that resetting the ecu "fixes" it for a little while should have told me it was fuel trim related. So too much accell enrichment combined with positive fuel trims = light load tip in missfire.

I also started with a map that had a see of 8's way back when ecuflash first came out. And I know for a fact the accell enrichment table was bumped up in that map.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
This is very interesting I have been having this problem for a few months now off an on. Let me make sure it is the same thing though:

light load very little throttle input (like you are following people in traffic just trying to keep the pace or gap) with a very small change in throttle input it goes into machine gun missfire like a rev limiter correct? However, if you mash on it rather than just giving it a tiny amount of gas it runs fine correct?

I thought my issue was due to a bad extension harness (fields harness) Since it started when I was testing my haltech interceptor. I've been scrtching my head trying to figure out what the issue was, the fact that resetting the ecu "fixes" it for a little while should have told me it was fuel trim related. So too much accell enrichment combined with positive fuel trims = light load tip in missfire.

I also started with a map that had a see of 8's way back when ecuflash first came out. And I know for a fact the accell enrichment table was bumped up in that map.

That actually sounds exactly like it, but I believe that if he gets on the gas harder, it only made it do it more.

I actually goa hold of the data logging cable I needed for an LM-1 that I have (After losing it, durr.) so I am wanting to data log it now only with my full compliment of gages & logging stuff now to get a better idea of what is going on with it. After he gets his issues fixed, I should have some really good data logs soon..