Notices
ECU Flash

My evo ix overboosting??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My evo ix overboosting??

Hi guys.. well i have a evo ix 2006 from florida wich i bought to iceland this summer.. the car arrived here in june 2007. Since then the car has been perfect but i allways felt like it had little more power than stock evo ix becouse it revs so high (8200rpms) the car had stock id had stock exhaust and stock intake etc.. The car ran 13.098@105 stock but it revs into 8200 rpm and i thought the ECU has been flashed in USA meenwhile i added a 3" downpipe and a K&N Typhoon kit and a boost gauge.. The car boosted 1.5 BAR wich i know was okay and the car ran 12.550@108mph. About a month ago i bought full exhaust system + catback 3" the car started overboosting into 1.8-2.0BAR depended on weather tempeture.. Friend of mine helped my to log the ECU with evoflash and the car was knocking in boost spikes in 3700 rpms..

what can i do to controll this boost hallmann MBC? or has this something to do with solenoid

any helps will do
Old Nov 7, 2007, 02:05 AM

You released a lot of backpressure with the TBE. More boost. Plus the temps are probably colder at this time of year........more boost.

Get a MBC and a good tune.

I have no idea what you mean by saying "it revs so high (8200rpms). I wouldnt rev it that high my friend.

Jason
Old Nov 7, 2007, 02:49 AM
Evolved Member

Get a MBC, and get rid of the typhoon intake kit. If you would have read some of the reviews on the boards, you probally would not have gotten it.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 04:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8
You released a lot of backpressure with the TBE. More boost. Plus the temps are probably colder at this time of year........more boost.

Get a MBC and a good tune.

I have no idea what you mean by saying "it revs so high (8200rpms). I wouldnt rev it that high my friend.

Jason
yup i know i realeased a lot of back pressure with TBE but why so much ?? 1.8bar? that is a little to much. And the otherday well like i said i live in iceland iv'e got -5C° outside than it spiked into 2 BAR, but the day after about 10°c heat outside then it was 1.8 BAR but i what can i do to decrease boost presure with my TBE can hallmann MBC lower the boost ?

also what i meant by saying it rev´s so high 8200 rpm i thought the ECU had a limiter stock inn 7400 rpm.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Run a water/methanol injection system and enjoy the boost. Otherwise fixing the boost problem may slow it down.

Air is not getting to the WGA in time causing the spikes. You can fit a MBC inline from high pressure source to WGA or use ecuflash and the stock solenoid system.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 06:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they call it a typhoon for a reason, the air pressure is like a real typhoon, unpredictable. Stay away from the typhoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

get yourself a MBC and use new vaccuum lines.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dannievo
yup i know i realeased a lot of back pressure with TBE but why so much ?? 1.8bar? that is a little to much. And the otherday well like i said i live in iceland iv'e got -5C° outside than it spiked into 2 BAR, but the day after about 10°c heat outside then it was 1.8 BAR but i what can i do to decrease boost presure with my TBE can hallmann MBC lower the boost ?

also what i meant by saying it rev´s so high 8200 rpm i thought the ECU had a limiter stock inn 7400 rpm.
Most probably your car was tuned/flashed in the US before. When you bought it maybe the car was returned to stock but they didn't flash it back to stock.
Your car should have a stock rev limiter of 7606 or so rpm.
Your car should fuel cut at high boost levels (stock).
You may want to download the map in your car and proceed from there.
If you want to reduce boost, it can be done with the stock ecu as well.
You might also want to check the lines to and from the wastegate solenoid, actuator, and turbo compressor nipple, if they have been modified or fiddled with.

I am not an expert, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 04:03 AM
Evolving Member

so i should get rid of my typhoon
Old Nov 9, 2007, 05:30 AM
Evolving Member

typhoon is bad news and unpredictable on each car it goes on, redling to 8200 probably wouldnt be considered good news either. good times though lol
Old Nov 9, 2007, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

i say,

1. get rid of typhoon, get high flow air filter
2. check the vacuum lines and the restrictor pills, (i bet that both of them might have been removed, so just put an appropriate size pills, based on what boost you want to run, if you want to run higher boost, install Water Injection system)
3. get a retune

Originally Posted by Chamama
Most probably your car was tuned/flashed in the US before. When you bought it maybe the car was returned to stock but they didn't flash it back to stock.
Your car should have a stock rev limiter of 7606 or so rpm.
Your car should fuel cut at high boost levels (stock).
You may want to download the map in your car and proceed from there.
If you want to reduce boost, it can be done with the stock ecu as well.
You might also want to check the lines to and from the wastegate solenoid, actuator, and turbo compressor nipple, if they have been modified or fiddled with.

I am not an expert, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Well little update .. like i said my car was boosting 2.0 bar with the 3" downpipe+ catback...

now i have installed the Hallmann MBC and it was connected like this
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...chmentid=52118

however the car is boosting about 0.9 BAR from 2000 rpm to 5000 rpm but when it hit´s 5000 rpms -redline it boost about 1.6 BAR

what causes this ? any idea will do!
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Stop,...don't panic! My 2 cents since you asked for some input is this,...

1) Hopefully Iceland has a profesional tune shop where you can get more than a boost pill for your ills. Go there and let them do what they are trained to do. They will be able to diagnose your issue and fix it. You may want to go with a ecuflash boost upgrade b/c maybe your mbc is not helping your pre-exsisting issue as this point?

2) If you are driving your car to your rev cut, (you stated ~8200K)...quit it!! I am sure its intersting to see your tach hop all over the place,..but you are killing your engine no matter what! I hope you are running some great synthetic magic potion in your crank case for that matter as well.

3) I know a few idividuals with a proper tune and reasonably marginal boost levels for their tunes that are using the typhoon with no issues what so ever. Maybe you got a bad product, some other underlining issue or maybe the KN was not tested in sub artic conditions,...I have no clue what the intake problem is, but that is beside the point here. Maybe go back to stock intake w/a drop in,...from what I unserstand the stock intake box is rated to about 400ishWHP if not a little more.

I am using a drop in and boost upgrade/flash that is good for about 60whp nothing else on my car period. This is working good for me, if you want more, get some real professional help. It may just save you money and blood,sweat and tears in the long run. Good luck and always go the north face!